Contribute
Register

10.6.7 Native ATi 5xxx/6xxx Cards which work (and don't)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the word on the 5770 or 5850? How hard is it to get them to work?

Div said:
Has anyone got a HIS to fully work? My friend has the HIS 6870 and we have his mac hackintoshed, but I can't seem to get his updates working fully. Can't open steam etc.

Any issues anyone else try? I find it weird two different brands and one will work than the other. I did the same exact thing for my XFX and it works flawless and his HIS does not.

I have this HIS card, which is the reference design:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

It works about as well as the other reference cards from other brands as far as I know. I'm running SL 10.6.7 Vanilla, patched DSDT, with Andy's modified Chameleon RC5 and MBP driver kexts and GraphicEnabler=yes.

The only reason I can think of where it won't work is if you haven't got the right version of Chameleon installed where you can specify the framebuffers, and are only using the MBP kexts by themselves. It'll work, but you wouldn't be able to launch most steam games or cinebench or DVD player.

My only issue is the way too bright gamma in source steam games, and maybe performance isn't super great (I blame the drivers). I can play any other games on it fine, though.

XFX AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB? How about the 6870? How do I get it to work? I'm looking to buy it this weekend and am wondering what problems I will be facing if any?

HOTDOGS said:
XFX AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB? How about the 6870? How do I get it to work? I'm looking to buy it this weekend and am wondering what problems I will be facing if any?

Follow the guides posted on this website, fyi, my xfx 6850 works beautifully. I use the "Duckweed" framebuffer if using Display Port, "Elodea" works if you're using hdmi. I haven't really bothered trying others as these work just fine for me..

Is there one brand that seems to work better than another?

mjgunn said:
SUCCESS

Brand=XFX
Model=6870 HD-687A-ZDFC (New twin blade cooler model)
Device ID=0x6738
Multibeast=3.4 & Andy's Fix
MacOS=10.6.7
Reported by=MJGunn

Built my new machine with the XFX, edited the device ID in, and ran cinebench on the new setup. FPS was 33.17 on the old machine, 37.96 on this one.

haysoos123 said:
Div said:
Has anyone got a HIS to fully work? My friend has the HIS 6870 and we have his mac hackintoshed, but I can't seem to get his updates working fully. Can't open steam etc.

Any issues anyone else try? I find it weird two different brands and one will work than the other. I did the same exact thing for my XFX and it works flawless and his HIS does not.

I have this HIS card, which is the reference design:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

It works about as well as the other reference cards from other brands as far as I know. I'm running SL 10.6.7 Vanilla, patched DSDT, with Andy's modified Chameleon RC5 and MBP driver kexts and GraphicEnabler=yes.

The only reason I can think of where it won't work is if you haven't got the right version of Chameleon installed where you can specify the framebuffers, and are only using the MBP kexts by themselves. It'll work, but you wouldn't be able to launch most steam games or cinebench or DVD player.

My only issue is the way too bright gamma in source steam games, and maybe performance isn't super great (I blame the drivers). I can play any other games on it fine, though.

your cinebech points? novabech

Adding to the SUCCESS list:

Brand=ASUS
Model=EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5
Device ID=0x6738
Multibeast=3.4
MacOS=10.6.7
Reported by=x64

64-bit kernel with GraphicsEnabler=no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back