Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Specs:
Mother Board: GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3
CPU: Intel Core i3-550 Clarkdale 3.2GHz
Ram: (2X2GB)-8GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ
Video: Nvidia 8400GT <- (Yea I bought the wrong Mboard... whats the point of the Clarkdale now.)
Case: 12 HD-Bay Rack Mount
Hard Drives:
SATA1: 250GB 2.5mm 5400RPM WD
SATA2: 1TB 3.5mm 5400RPM Samsung Green
SATA3: 1TB 3.5mm 5400RPM Samsung Green
SATA4: 1TB 3.5mm 5400RPM Samsung Green
SATA4: 750GB 3.5mm 5400RPM Samsung Green

Optical Drives:
SATA5: DVD-RAM DL+- DVD Burner
PATA1: DVD-ROM DL+- DVD Burner
PATA2: DVD-ROM DL+- DVD Burner
EIDE: 2.5mm Floppy Drive <--(Why I couldn't tell you. I just felt like it..! )

Details:
I built this little rig to be power efficient and handed it the job of serving files, FTP, Apache, PS3 Media Server, Web Design, ECT. Its a great rig and while not the craziest thing on earth it does the job of providing me with a $400 rack mounted OSX server. The cause for the 2.5mm boot disk was to save power and reduce heat. All drives power off when not in use, and I figured a 2.5mm drive running most of the time would save me some money. The Power supply is rated 80% Gold.

So far it has a 50 day uptime and hasn't crashed once. Which is more than I can say for my power hungry MacPro G5 that just crapped out. It can be some what laggy on some apps but I blame it on my unwillingness to install an video injector and the use of a 2.5mm drive with long seek times.

Anyone looking to build a mac server I highly recommend this build. Just use a Motherboard with Onboard VGA matched with a Clarkdale. If you go with a Lynnfield you will need a Dedicated graphic processor, but you gain a faster memory controller and added L3 Catch. There is however also Sandybridge but make sure you have a build with the corrected chipset as the first batch have SATA Integrity Issues.

Livestrong2109 said:
Its a great rig and while not the craziest thing on earth it does the job of providing me with a $400 rack mounted OSX server.

But SL Server is $499. :? :)

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC588 ... TkwNDE3ODA

Livestrong2109 said:
Anyone looking to build a mac server I highly recommend this build. Just use a Motherboard with Onboard VGA matched with a Clarkdale. If you go with a Lynnfield you will need a Dedicated graphic processor, but you gain a faster memory controller and added L3 Catch.

Integrated graphics don't work with Hackintosh.

So it's $899 (if the OP is using OSX Server, OSX can do all of those tasks without needing to be the server version) for a rack mount server with 3.75TB storage compared to $999 for a Mac Mini server with 2 500GB disks.

I don't see much point in 3 Optical drives, but apart from that, it sounds like a good home server.

So what makes this better than a NAS? I have a Synology 110j and can do all of that. It's very Mac friendly. Although it's single disk system, I have a 2TB WD20EARS hard drive in it. It serves my web page (externally and internally), files, Time Machine/Capsule backup, music and video. It cost me $250 including the hard drive a year ago. Multiple disk NAS's run about $150 per disk capability w/o the disks (it's not linear, but close). A Synology 411+ (street) cost $650 plus disks.

Check the Small Net Builder site for reviews on NAS's. You'd be surprised what you can do with the Synology, QNAP and other NAS's.

Not to mention that server capabilities will apparently be built into the standard edition of Lion.

For a high-speed server I'd recommend using an Areca SAS/SATA RAID controller (supported natively by SL) like the ARC-1231ML, the ARC-1680 or the newer ARC-1880. I have an ARC-1680ix-8 in my Mac Pro (2008) and it's extremly fast (transfer speed up to 1 Gbyte/s with 4 Seagate 15.000 rpm SAS drives).

If you have a manageable switch supporting link aggregation, adding a Sonnet Presto Gigabit Server NIC card is also a very good idea. I'm using link aggregation with the Mac Pro and my ReadyNAS 2100 and it really makes a difference.

Compared to a NAS with similar storage capacity and performance, a custom build server is more flexible, offers better expandibility, is usually (a lot) cheaper when you go to high capacity storage and has a nicer managing interface (Mac OS X Server). :D

On the other hand, it takes a lot more space (if you don't use a 1U rackmount chassis).

Roland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back