Contribute
Register

10.3.x 10GigE card reverts to 100BaseTX after every reboot, also intermittently disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1070 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iMac
  3. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello all:

I have a Sonnet 10G card in my Hackintosh, that has the Aquantia AQC-107S chipset. (https://www.sonnettech.com/product/solo10g-pcie-card.html ). If I recall, this is the same chipset found in the newer iMac Pros.

In my original 10.13.4 build, and now my 10.13.6 updated, I see odd behavior:

1. Every reboot, the connection is negotiated to 110BaseTX (100Mbps). This happens regardless if Hardware in Mac System Prefs is set to manual (10GbaseT) or automatic. In fact, if I change the connection while the system is running (in the Mac OS system prefs or on the 10GigE NAS), the connection will reset and register as 10GigE. Yes, keeping at 1500 MTU.
  2. Other 10GigE devices connected to the NAS have no issues (native MacBook Pro with a 10GigE USB-C adapter, also from Sonnet)
  3. Periodically, the connection to the NAS will drop.
  4. This happens regardless of mount protocol (NFS, SMB, AFP).
  5. Short run Cat5e (5feet)
  6. Synology DS3018xs.
Clover Configuration (Kexts and Kext Patches) shows:
Name: AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion
Find: 6275696C 742D696E
Replace: AABBCCDD AABBCCDD
Comment AQC 107 10 GbE v2
Match OS {EMPTY}
Match Build {EMPTY}
Disabled / infoPlistPatch (both unchecked)

System Prefs Report:
Aquantia AQC107:

Name: ethernet
Type: Ethernet Controller
Bus: PCI
Vendor ID: 0x1d6a
Device ID: 0x87b1
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x16b8
Subsystem ID: 0x7300
Revision ID: 0x0002
Link Width: x4
BSD name: en1
Kext name: AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion.kext
Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion.kext
Version: 1.0.55

I've tried various switches, different cables and ports, with no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hello all:

I have a Sonnet 10G card in my Hackintosh, that has the Aquantia AQC-107S chipset. (https://www.sonnettech.com/product/solo10g-pcie-card.html ). If I recall, this is the same chipset found in the newer iMac Pros.

In my original 10.13.4 build, and now my 10.13.6 updated, I see odd behavior:

1. Every reboot, the connection is negotiated to 110BaseTX (100Mbps). This happens regardless if Hardware in Mac System Prefs is set to manual (10GbaseT) or automatic. In fact, if I change the connection while the system is running (in the Mac OS system prefs or on the 10GigE NAS), the connection will reset and register as 10GigE. Yes, keeping at 1500 MTU.
  2. Other 10GigE devices connected to the NAS have no issues (native MacBook Pro with a 10GigE USB-C adapter, also from Sonnet)
  3. Periodically, the connection to the NAS will drop.
  4. This happens regardless of mount protocol (NFS, SMB, AFP).
  5. Short run Cat5e (5feet)
  6. Synology DS3018xs.

Clover Configuration (Kexts and Kext Patches) shows:
Name: AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion
Find: 6275696C 742D696E
Replace: AABBCCDD AABBCCDD
Comment AQC 107 10 GbE v2
Match OS {EMPTY}
Match Build {EMPTY}
Disabled / infoPlistPatch (both unchecked)

I've tried various switches, different cables and ports, with no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks!

There were batches of the Sonnet card that had hardware issues that caused premature death. Try checking with Sonnet to see if yours is among the ones affected.

Also, the Sonnet card should not need the KextsToPatch.

There were batches of the Sonnet card that had hardware issues that caused premature death. Try checking with Sonnet to see if yours is among the ones affected.

Also, the Sonnet card should not need the KextsToPatch.

Long time no type!

I didn't think I needed a kext, but I saw it within Clover, and thought it was worth mentioning. I'll check with Sonnet about the problems. To work in parallel, is there anything else I could be missing?

Thanks again.

Long time no type!

I didn't think I needed a kext, but I saw it within Clover, and thought it was worth mentioning. I'll check with Sonnet about the problems. To work in parallel, is there anything else I could be missing?

Thanks again.

No... It should be very much plug-n-play... There really isn't anything to configure.

Update:

I contacted Sonnet and apparently a batch of cards with Rev A serial numbers may have had issues. I returned my card and got a new card.

Thus far, the same results occur - that it, the speed defaults on every boot to 110BaseTX (100Mbps). Toggling the card, as I did above, fixes the issue during that boot.

Something else must be afoot.

With the Sonnet card, you don't need the KextsToPatch.

Indeed. That kext is not installed. Problem persists.

Neither do I. If I did, I wouldn't be posting! (but I *do* appreciate the input)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back