Contribute
Register

10.15 Catalina fresh Install (after failed update from working Sierra) stucks at Apple logo end of bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z97
CPU
i5-4570
Graphics
GTX 650 Ti Boost
Hi all,

First post.
First of all thanks for the forum and for this huge amount of info on hackintoshes.

I´ve been using a succesfully installed Sierra version with Unibeast in my system for years but I had to update finally, some apps like Unreal Engine or Xcode just won´t run on Sierra.
I screwed it up (God knows how) when I tried updating my Clover version from r3xxx to the current r5xxx one. When the system reached UEFI shell it never booted, black screen and nothing. I think is was probably an error installing the kexts.
I couldn´t manage to retrieve my older clover efi install from UEFI-backups through UEFI Shell; colon just proved impossible to type among other things...
Ok, so I decided to start from the beginning and make a fresh install from a Catalina USB.
It took me 5 attempts to make Unibeast create the boot USB. It froze in the creating install bar. I´m using UEFI BIOS and Nvidia Inject btw.
As I used a Macbook pro with latest Catalina version installed I had to use macOs Catalina Patcher to get an installer copy of it.
Ok. BIOS all good and set; UEFI and basic kexts installed and ready to boot.
I´m using a 16GB Toshiba pen.
After a few formats and reinstalling Catalina installer with Unibeast it all went good finally and started the install from the USB
BUT
It gets stuck at the end of the apple logo installing bar. It just stays there for hours.
What am I doing wrong?

I don´t know how to paste here my current EFI setup in the USB without deleting it.
Any clues about what´s going on?

Thanks again and take care of yourselves.

J

Attachments

• IMG_0845.JPG
    IMG_0845.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
I managed to recover my older Clover r3xxx config boot with the install usb and then selecting macOs in my main SSD installation. Everything went back to my Sierra version and all looks fine.
But I have tried so many times the fresh Catalina install that I suppose it is something in the configuration or kernel extensions that I´m missing. I have formatted and created the Catalina install boot in a 2.0 16GB USB and also a 16 GB 3.0 partitioned USB so many times that I lost the count. It always gets stuck at the end of the loading Apple logo bar.
Any clues? I just can´t make it work.
I´d prefer to update from Sierra but it proved to be more difficult to find the right Clover config.

Last edited:
I´m attaching a .zip with the r3766 Clover version that is working on Sierra with a i5-4570 3,2GHz, 16GB RAM DDR3, ASUS Z-97-A Motherboard with a GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB graphic card, a Ethernet wifi PCI card and a PCI Firewire 800 card that I need for audio hardware.
It all worked always very smoothly and it has been super stable with tons of audio and video software.
I´m also attaching the r5119 version config.plist that I´m trying to install from a Catalina USB.

I have to mention that RAM will be upgraded to 32GB and graphics will be upgraded to a XFX RX 580 8GB card, but I´m waiting until I see Catalina working fine.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17.1 MB · Views: 39
  • config.plist
    5.6 KB · Views: 37
Would it work if I paste the r3766 config.plist over the one in the USB? The only difference I see when checking Clover configurator is in the system SMBIOS and in the kernel and KEXT patches.

Well, I will post here what I'm managing to achieve in case anyone finds It useful in the future.
After dozens of changes and broken installs I went for a last try and recheck all the UEFI BIOS setup and changed a few things:
- Disabled CSM Compatibility.
- Disabled Fast BOOT
- AI OVERCLOCK TUNER: changed to XMP
- Set PCIE GRAPHICS card: set to PRIMARY
- CPU GRAPHICS MULTI Monitor: enabled

I also renamed the EC0 device in CONFIG.plist as detailed in another forum.

Nothing worked.
So I decided to go one step back and go for a Mojave install and then update to Catalina from there.
It all went smooth with the UniBeast install, and I made it to update the system completely with the BOOT USB. I used MultiBeast to build the new EFI and drivers, but when rebooting the system from the Mojave SSD I have this kernel panic:

Attachments

• IMG_20201122_075153.jpg
    IMG_20201122_075153.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 31
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have gone back to my ASUS Z97 UEFI BIOS settings and turned XMP back to auto (AI Tweaker::AI Overclock Tuner::XMP), then Advanced System Agent::Graphics Config:: Primary Display:: changed it back from PCIE to Auto, and I have again disabled CPU Graphics:: Multi Monitor.
Mojave 10.4.6 works now!!

My TP-Link Ethernet PCI card wasn´t working after Mojave install but I used KextBeast form Tonymacx86 downloads section to install AirPortAtheros40.kext (attached) and it works fine now. I didn´t check data transfer speeds but I don´t have complaints.

USB 2.0 ports are not working. USB 3.0 ports work fine and my Firewire 800 PCI card works perfect. I´m using a Saffire Liquid 56 external sound device and Ableton Live sees it right from start.

I´m gonna try these patches to get USB 2.0 going again and will get back here.

My aim is set Mojave working 110% fine, I will back it up and then will try installing Catalina again.

Attachments

• AirPortAtheros40.kext.zip
    654.1 KB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back