Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> 10.15.5 Supplemental Update: macOS could not be installed on your computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Prime Z490-A
CPU
i7-10070K
Graphics
RX 6600
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Color Classic
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I attempted to update from 10.15.5 to the 10.15.5 Supplemental Update, but after the second reboot, I got this error:

macOS could not be installed on your computer

An error occurred installing macOS. To use apple Diagnostics to check your Mac hardware, shut down, press the power button, and immediately hold the 'D' key until diagnostics begins.

Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.

IMG_2462.jpeg

If I restart and try again, I get the same error.

If I attempt to boot from my startup disk, my computer shuts down in the middle of the Apple logo loading screen. I tried booting in safe mode, but it still shut down. I booted in verbose mode and took some photos if anyone is able to identify the problem and how to fix it:

IMG_2455.jpeg
IMG_2457.jpeg
IMG_2461.jpeg

My build:
GA-Z87X-UD5H
i7-4770K
RX 580

Clover/Kexts:
(used the same versions to update to 10.15.4 and 10.15.5)
Clover r5117
Lilu 1.4.4
WhateverGreen 1.3.9

Worst case scenario: I can restore from a Time Machine backup. I also have a clone of my startup disk, but I forgot to update it from 10.15.4 before trying to install this supplemental update.

Last edited:
You can save the install log and post it here.

I gave up trying to install the update, and I tried to restore from a Time Machine backup. Unfortunately, that restore failed, so I booted into my 10.15.4 clone and used SuperDuper to clone that back to my startup disk. Then I was able to boot from my startup disk again, albeit in 10.15.4.

In preparation for a second attempt at installing the update, I used Clover Configurator to update Clover to r5119, Lilu to 1.4.5, and WhateverGreen to 1.4.0 and tested to make sure I could still boot without issues (I could). Then instead of downloading the 10.15.5 update via System Preferences, I downloaded the 10.15.5 combo update, which installed this time without any problems.

Glad you found a way and thanks for sharing it!

I gave up trying to install the update, and I tried to restore from a Time Machine backup. Unfortunately, that restore failed, so I booted into my 10.15.4 clone and used SuperDuper to clone that back to my startup disk. Then I was able to boot from my startup disk again, albeit in 10.15.4.

In preparation for a second attempt at installing the update, I used Clover Configurator to update Clover to r5119, Lilu to 1.4.5, and WhateverGreen to 1.4.0 and tested to make sure I could still boot without issues (I could). Then instead of downloading the 10.15.5 update via System Preferences, I downloaded the 10.15.5 combo update, which installed this time without any problems.

Is your iMessage and Facetime working after updating to the Supplemental 10.15.5?

Is your iMessage and Facetime working after updating to the Supplemental 10.15.5?
I've never used Facetime on my Hack (I don't have a camera or mic).

I haven't tried iMessage since the supplemental update, but iMessage has worked inconsistently for me in Mojave and Catalina: sometimes it works fine, sometimes I can receive but not send messages, sometimes messages are sent or received as SMS, and sometimes it doesn't work at all.

I tested out iMessage over the last couple of days, and it seemed to be working fine until I tried to like a message today, and it sent it as SMS. At the same time, it also got stuck showing that the other person was typing, but it wasn't showing that on my phone.

I got this issue on my Catalina installation, now I downloaded the combo .dmg, I have a stupid question, how do I create the usb installer like I have done for Catalina?
What is the process?

thx

I got this issue on my Catalina installation, now I downloaded the combo .dmg, I have a stupid question, how do I create the usb installer like I have done for Catalina?
What is the process?

thx
you can't with a combo update

you need to download the full package from the appstore

ok, I am confused. I tried to install Catalina, got to the "macOS could not be installed on your computer". The fix is to use the 10.15.5 combo update, I downloaded, is a .dmg, what do I do now?

@Gobias how do I install the combo update?
thx

Attachments

• IMG_20200710_152220.jpg
    IMG_20200710_152220.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 80
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back