Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> 10.15.5 Clover does not detect the installation volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Clover config was pretty much empty with only relevant settings, and that was before I moved to OC, which is even cleaner. ;)

There's an opencore efi built for this hardware on github :thumbup: It's a leap of faith, but could be worth a shot if you do your research. I'm not sure I can paste the link, just google OpenCore_GA-Z170X-Gaming5.

I found one for my motherboard (Z370M-DS3H) but couldn't even get it to boot.

So I decided to do it myself with studying OC documentations and 3 hours later the transition was complete.

OC is definitely faster than Clover and less prone to some random unexplained behavior. One of my displays used to turn off/on randomly once every 10 minutes or so. It doesn't anymore after switching to OC.

Thank you both. Thank you both very much. I'll look into the details in 24 hours, when I have the machine in front of me again.

Any particular reason you chose MacPro SMBIOS rather than maybe iMac17,1 which is closer to your hardware?

I chose the iMacPro1.1 definition because it's one of only two that enables hardware acceleration with Navi GPUs.

Did you have a bootable system with that EFI folder, the ACPI section is very 'busy'?

Yes, the machine boots very well and is very stable as well. But I'm going to study your EFI very seriously: if there's a lot to clean up, there's no reason not to do it.

Next episode in 24 hours, I can't wait. Thanks again to you.

Well, odd things have happened.
I was able to boot with the config.plist of @Namok88. The system preference panel suggested I upgrade to 10.15.5 as if it had never tried it before. It then re-downloaded the update and offered to reboot to apply it.
Nevertheless: same problem. At the first reboot: no installation volume.

Then I was able to boot also with the config.plist of @Big-W. During this test boot, my Linux volume appeared, which was not the case before. The system preference panel considered this time that it had downloaded the update correctly and directly offered to reboot to apply the update. And the problem persisted: no installation volume in Clover.
I admit that I specified the iMacPro1.1 definition and applied the patches to activate the Navi GPU.

I will try to use my CCC backup to go back to my previous setup. Not much hope. Just hope for a lucky break but I'm running out of ideas.

If it doesn't work I'll try the Big-W config.plist without adjustment.
Thank you very much for your time!

Finally succeeded. I had to purge the NVRAM.

To do this, in the Clover home screen at startup, I had to press F11 (or sometimes Option+F11)
For those who would have the same problem, here is precisely what I did: I downloaded the update from the preference panel and launched from it the restart cycle to update. Opening Clover: I press F11. The computer freezes. I restart with the power button. No change in Clover, macOS boot without installing the update. In the system preference panel I ask again for the reboot cycle for this update. This time in clover, the installation volumes are present.
Success.
I'm not sure that the right boot volume for the installation was selected automatically. The installation was done with the "Boot macOS Install from MacM2" volume, but there is discussion everywhere whether "macOS Install" or "Install PreBooter" is better.
Installation screen for 14 minutes.
Reboot.
In Clover now there are only the usual boot volumes. (I thought there were 2 reboots, right?)
Usual boot progress bar then 10 minute progress bar to complete the installation.
Only one reboot, then. I hope that's normal.
The system preference panel indicates that the system is up to date. The "About" section indicates 10.15.5 (19F101)
It seems to have worked.
Thank you very much.

Glad you got it sorted :thumbup:
If you have rogue entries, in your boot order you can edit them from efi shell so you only have the entries you require;
Boot to EFI Shell at Clover screen
Type - bcfg boot dump -b
Type - bcfg rm # (number of unwanted boot entry) to remove unwanted boot entry
I had a lot of this whilst getting my rig to boot with native nvram and when booting with clover and opencore when testing.

Finally succeeded. I had to purge the NVRAM.

To do this, in the Clover home screen at startup....

Thanks for this. I had the exact same issue, and these steps worked for me as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back