Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> 10.15.4 Update - how to disable HDR support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FOUND A FIX: Just inject the edid of your monitor in the override folder. Google is plenty of tutorial on how to do it

My bad apparently this place is a little strict on exactly who should be posting; disregard.

In my defense it was about the only place I could find any discussion on the issue.

I solved the issue by patching EDID. There is a simple ruby script patch-edid.rb. Put it at any place, then run it from console ruby patch-edid.rb. It will create a folder DisplayVendorID-xxx, and a single file in it. This folder should be copied to this path /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides. To do that you probably would need to disable SIP. Once it's done, turn off/on your monitor or restart a PC. After that it shows RGB to me. However HDR checkbox is now absent, but that's actually was a goal. I don't need an HDR for whole system, and even with disabling/enabling HDR previously by checkbox, it still not the same as SDR, cause Mac OS anyways sent an HDR signal to monitor.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 11.41.47.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 11.41.47.png
    338 KB · Views: 948
Yes, I generated override file with Hackintool and it's working. Probably it's a bug in Apple/LG HDR support. When HDR in macOS is on I see HDR label in BIOS (!), Clover and during macOS boot. It's not normal behavior.

I solved the issue by patching EDID. There is a simple ruby script patch-edid.rb. Put it at any place, then run it from console ruby patch-edid.rb. It will create a folder DisplayVendorID-xxx, and a single file in it. This folder should be copied to this path /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides. To do that you probably would need to disable SIP. Once it's done, turn off/on your monitor or restart a PC. After that it shows RGB to me. However HDR checkbox is now absent, but that's actually was a goal. I don't need an HDR for whole system, and even with disabling/enabling HDR previously by checkbox, it still not the same as SDR, cause Mac OS anyways sent an HDR signal to monitor.
It is the similar method of how I dealt with the colour banding issue, but I used Hackintool to generate.

Same issue for me but only on one of the two monitors
27BL65U which is the same as the 27UL650

I have to toggle it on and off a few times to actually go back to normal.
but as soon as my monitor goes to sleep, or reboot it's a gamble, sometime it's fine other times it's not

kext form hackintool didn't work for me
but the other generated file put in /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/... worked great

So thank you all !!!

had to look this up, so in case if that helps someone
to enable Read Write to copy the file you have to enable RW on / run this:

sudo mount -uw /

Last edited:
I tried this but still can't copy the files, SIP is disabled confirmed but csrutil status.
Get a no entry sign when trying to copy the EIED folder

Got it to work, booted from another system, all sorted

Last edited:
I'm sure my SIP is disable by "csrutil status"
but I just cannot copy the file over to the Overrides folder~
Please help ~ :crazy:

Edit:
:) I found out how to do it in Recovery Mode in Terminal.
command sample:
Bash:
cd /Volumes/macOS/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides
cp -rf /Volumes/macOS/Users/yourName/DisplayVendorID-1e6d .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back