Graphics
Gigabyte 5770 Silent Cell
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have build a new Hackintosh currently running 10.14.4 with no major problems.
(Thanks to the guide "[SUCCESS] jbarnette's Build - Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming".)
Now, I am doing the first MacOS update on this machine.
When I run macOSUpdCombo10.14.5.dmg everything starts as usual, but then nothing happens:
Nothing is being installed and then machine is being restarted.
The update guide says:
Note: Update will reboot twice; each time Clover picks the correct boot partition. So, sit back and relax.
After the reboot on my machine I see my regular clover boot screen.
If I choose MacOS it starts as usual but the system is not updated.

See this video!

FYI: I have EFI, Windows and MacOS on the same disk.

@rubikcar89 why is it not recommended to put macOS and Windows on the same disk? Can you pls elaborate.
FYI, I mainly use this Windows installation in VMWare from within MacOS - in very few use cases, I boot it natively.
(I am doing this on other Hackintosh machines since years and it is working for me - a software developer - reliable.)

Also, how can this partition layout produce the problems of MacOS not updating? Can you give a technical explanation?

I was able to capture a log before the system reboots. Does any1 see any problem in this log - looks good to me:

Thanks!

Last edited:
why is it not recommended to put macOS and Windows on the same disk? Can you pls elaborate.
FYI, I mainly use this Windows installation in VMWare from within MacOS - in very few use cases, I boot it natively.
Based on experience, when I installed Windows alongside macOS on an APFS drive, either Windows would have a Blue Screen of Death or macOS would KP. Not really a problem when booting the Windows installation in VMware.

ok, solved. It were 2 problems:
  1. 1. there was a stalled "macOS Install Data" in Macintosh HD root directory - probably from the original macOS Installation - which also was a hidden entry in clover boot (don't know why I added this hidden entry without thinking).
  2. (After I fixed 1 by just deleting the old "macOS Install Data" directory and deleting the entry in clover config)
    when I start the installation from "macOSUpdCombo10.14.5.dmg" and the system rebooted, I now selected the newly - unhidden - boot option "Mac OS Installation from Macintosh HD".
    The system starts but I only see an empty grey background (picture). No progress bar or any other text.
    But after some time the system reboots and I again selected"Mac OS Installation from Macintosh HD".
    Again after booting, only a grey background is being shown. But since the disk led was active, I just let it run and again after app. 10m the system rebooted.
    The extra boot entry went away and the system booted regularly and macOS is now updated to 10.14.5.
So all worked now!

But I am always willing to learn. If anybody would give me some (more) technical details why having windows and macOS on the same disk is not recommend - especially when using APFS - I would be very interested.

@rubikcar89 Thanks! And yes, I will update my ancient hardware from my profile ;-)

But I am always willing to learn. If anybody would give me some (more) technical details why having windows and macOS on the same disk is not recommend - especially when using APFS - I would be very interested.

APFS is still a very new file system, and for some reasons does not work well with NTFS. APFS will continue to be developed, and it will probably work well with NTFS on the same disk in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back