H310I-PLUS
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630 / RTX 2070
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Hey team,

First of all - I'm so thankful that there's a community like you here, I'm very much stuck trying to solve this problem. I don't want to create a low effort post so please, if I've missed anything that can help figure this out, let me know.

I've recently upgraded from a GTX 970 to RTX 2070 OC knowing full well that it's not supported by nvidia web drivers. My MOBO has an "iGPU" available, so I'm looking at the dual-card way of doing things. I've read this can be problematic, and it doesn't help that I can't find much for my mobo either.

I've uninstalled the nvidia web drivers etc that I was using with my GTX 970, placed the 2070 card in and got to work changing up the config.plist, and updating my kexts on my existing build. For the purpose of testing my build, I have removed the 2070.

I've followed every guide I could find about setting up iGPU, patching connectors (from this forum), configuring the config.plist, setting up correctly for WhateverGreen/Lilu (from this forum). In my specs posted here, you might see things contradictory to that - I've just been experimenting as much as possible to try solve this without wasting anyones time.

Once I finally patched the connectors so both the DVI and HDMI work, I had trouble getting them to work simultaneously.

When I start the machine - if the HDMI is connected - both monitors go into a fit and start tearing, see the attached images. Note that if I just have either monitor separately, they have successful output.

Additionally, I can only run the larger 21:9 monitor in 1080p. I'd accept that it's not possible to get 3440x1440 with the iGPU, except that occasionally while set to that resolution, it'll flicker a perfect display then go back to being blank. It's showing in the available resolutions under displays - just want to confirm if there's anything I can do about this?

I can access the machine exceptionally using screen sharing, even if the connectors aren't mapped correctly, which is fantastic for debugging. There's a screenshot of that attached as well.

Here's my build (should be in my profile as well - tried to follow the rules here)

Physical machine:

ASUS PRIME H310I-PLUS MOBO
INTEL I7 8700 (non-k) CPU
16GB 2666 MHz DDR4
250GB SSD
ONBOARD UHD 630 iGPU with DVI, HDMI and VGA
RTX 2070 OC - Not being used with the macOS side of the machine.

Monitors:

Samsung S24C450 24" - max res 1920x1200 / 60hz - Connected with DVI to iGPU
Acer X34 34" - max res 3440x1440 / 100hz - Connected with HDMI to iGPU

Kexts:

AppleALC 1.3.4
CodecCommander 2.6.3
FakeSMC 1787 (not sure about this version format?)
Lilu 1.3.8
RealtekRTL8111 2.2.2
USBInjectAll 0.7.1
WhateverGreen 1.3.1

config.plist: Attached

So I've tried switching everything off that I can think of, but given the properties list in the config.plist doesn't have all of the keys listed to play with, I'm wondering if there's anything else I can try? Or if there's any more information I can provide, please let me know.

I really appreciate your input.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 9.24.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 9.24.27 PM.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 141
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 9.24.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 9.24.14 PM.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 112
  • Screenshare.png
    Screenshare.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 112
  • config.plist
    10 KB · Views: 80
Hi all,

I managed to solve the issue - albeit painstakingly!

The issue was the refresh rates on the monitors being different. This may seem obvious, however what my screen says it's doing and what iGPU says it's doing are two different things.

To be clear - with the H310i, to use iGPU, you are absolutely required to map the connectors - see my config.plist previously attached. I'm running Coffee Lake 8700 (not k) - by the end of my debugging process, I upgraded to Mojave 10.14.6 and managed to replicate the tearing by using the same framebuffer patches (no surprise!)

Platform ID 9x3E9B0007
GPU Device ID 0x3E9B8086
SMBIOS Macmini8,1

Connectors:

Index, Bus ID, Type
1 - 0x05 - DP
2 - 0x02 - HDMI
3 - 0x04 - HDMI

Pretty much follow the framebuffer guide for iDiots here on Tonymac for all other settings.

I'm using boot flags: -darkwake=8 -wednoegpu -cpfon

So once I had 3440x1440 @ 50hz and 1920x1200 @ 60hz, I was having the same tearing issues.

Using screen sharing, I was able to debug the displays by playing with the refresh rate.

I used ScreenResX to force the screens to the same HZ value and my problems are solved.

So now I have RTX 2070 OC 8GB on Windows 10, and Dual Monitors from my 2GB iGPU on Mojave.

I'll probably stop checking this thread soon, so if you have any questions, now's a good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back