CPU
i7 8700
Graphics
Gigabyte Aorus RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I made the mistake of buying a "non-supported" MB when I was upgrading. I grabbed a Gigabyte z370 gaming 3 instead of 5/7. I haven't had any real issues, but can't seem to get all of the USB ports to work.

I used the 2 USB2 ports to install macOS and I have my two Dell monitors plugged into the two USB3 ports directly to the left. On my monitor, I only have a logitech USB webcam which works.

When I plug anything else in to any of the other USB ports, it never shows up. This goes for the two ports under the OS/2 and the internal USB3 header which my case plugs into.

My board has the ASMedia 3142 USB 3.1 Gen 2 with USB Type-C™ and Type-A chip, so I tried installing the 3rd Party USB 3.0 kext in Multibeast 10.2, but that doesn't appear to work. I don't want to just start adding stuff randomly just to get it to work.

I'm happy to provide any sort of screenshots/log files/IOReg/etc... to get some assistance. I just don't really know where to start.

TIA!

2017092515595191_src.png

I made the mistake of buying a "non-supported" MB when I was upgrading. I grabbed a Gigabyte z370 gaming 3 instead of 5/7. I haven't had any real issues, but can't seem to get all of the USB ports to work.

I used the 2 USB2 ports to install macOS and I have my two Dell monitors plugged into the two USB3 ports directly to the left. On my monitor, I only have a logitech USB webcam which works.

When I plug anything else in to any of the other USB ports, it never shows up. This goes for the two ports under the OS/2 and the internal USB3 header which my case plugs into.

My board has the ASMedia 3142 USB 3.1 Gen 2 with USB Type-C™ and Type-A chip, so I tried installing the 3rd Party USB 3.0 kext in Multibeast 10.2, but that doesn't appear to work. I don't want to just start adding stuff randomly just to get it to work.

I'm happy to provide any sort of screenshots/log files/IOReg/etc... to get some assistance. I just don't really know where to start.

TIA!

View attachment 327580

Sadly it's not straightforward yet.

I have the "K3" version of the same board and it also has the Asmedia 3142.

What I've discovered so far is that the SS** ports do not show in IORegExplorer so we can't build a custom SSDT yet. Only the HS** ports are listed.

For my board all ports are working with USBInjectAll.kext and the Port Limit Removal patch - HOWEVER the USB 3.0 ports do not recognise a true USB 3.0 device. USB 3.0 devices can be mounted in a USB 2.0 port. USB 2.0 devices can mount in a USB 3.0 port. USB 3.0 devices *do* seem to work in the USB 3.1 USB-C and USB-Red ports at USB 3.0 speeds, but that's pretty limiting.

I'm beginning to wonder if I need to buy a USB 3.0 add-in PCIe card to get full functionality, but it's hard looking at the various models available to check which chipset is being used etc. There are one or two listed in the Buyer's Guide here.

:rolleyes:

Sadly it's not straightforward yet.

I have the "K3" version of the same board and it also has the Asmedia 3142.

What I've discovered so far is that the SS** ports do not show in IORegExplorer so we can't build a custom SSDT yet. Only the HS** ports are listed.

For my board all ports are working with USBInjectAll.kext and the Port Limit Removal patch - HOWEVER the USB 3.0 ports do not recognise a true USB 3.0 device. USB 3.0 devices can be mounted in a USB 2.0 port. USB 2.0 devices can mount in a USB 3.0 port. USB 3.0 devices *do* seem to work in the USB 3.1 USB-C and USB-Red ports at USB 3.0 speeds, but that's pretty limiting.

I'm beginning to wonder if I need to buy a USB 3.0 add-in PCIe card to get full functionality, but it's hard looking at the various models available to check which chipset is being used etc. There are one or two listed in the Buyer's Guide here.

:rolleyes:

Have you follow exactly rehabman guide? Because i had z270x ultra gaming and now z370 gaming 7 and i can see SS and HS ports and create i custom ssdt file.

I haven't check if change anything between z270x ultra gaming and K3 so sorry if i made a mistake.

Have you follow exactly rehabman guide? Because i had z270x ultra gaming and now z370 gaming 7 and i can see SS and HS ports and create i custom ssdt file.

I haven't check if change anything between z270x ultra gaming and K3 so sorry if i made a mistake.

Hi there.

Thank you for the feedback.

I just checked the Spec of the Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 and it *does* have an Asmedia chip for Gen 2.0 support - and also a Realtek for Gen 1.0 along with the Intel.

I will do some more work and let you know how I get on!

:thumbup:

Hi there.

Thank you for the feedback.

I just checked the Spec of the Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 and it *does* have an Asmedia chip for Gen 2.0 support - and also a Realtek for Gen 1.0 along with the Intel.

I will do some more work and let you know how I get on!

:thumbup:

I'm glad for this. Yeah i create a custom ssdt and everything working great. Sleep and shutdown and all the usb ports.

"IORegistryExplorer" showing only HS ports is just telling you that you need an SSDT to make a proper listing of ports (including SS ports) show up there. And RehabMan's article tells you how to do that.

First, you need to know the "IOName" of your motherboard. A Z370N board (like mine) is a "pci8086,a2af" or, as used by RehabMan, a "8086_a2af" board. (You can verify that by opening IORegistryExplorer, selecting "XHC@14" and looking in the right-hand column. It should show the above IOName value.) If you open his "SSDT-UIAC-ALL.dsl" document using his "MaciASL RM 1.31.app" program, you will find sections designed to create SSDTs for various motherboards. Scrolling down the UIAC-ALL document you will find one section for the "8086_a2af" motherboard. Following the instructions in his article, create the appropriate SSDT for your Z370N board.

If it helps, I have attached a copy of my SSDT below. Your own compiled ".aml" file should be placed in your CLOVER's "ACPI/Patched" folder. Then delete the "USB Port Limit" kernel patch in your config.plist document or maybe just check its "disable" box. That way your SSDT will govern your USB ports.

Attachments

• COFFEELAKE_USB_SSDT.dsl
    3.1 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
"IORegistryExplorer" showing only HS ports is just telling you that you need an SSDT to make a proper listing of ports (including SS ports) show up there. And RehabMan's article tells you how to do that.

First, you need to know the "IOName" of your motherboard. A Z370N board (like mine) is a "pci8086,a2af" or, as used by RehabMan, a "8086_a2af" board. (You can verify that by opening IORegistryExplorer, selecting "XHC@14" and looking in the right-hand column. It should show the above IOName value.) If you open his "SSDT-UIAC-ALL.dsl" document using his "MaciASL RM 1.31.app" program, you will find sections designed to create SSDTs for various motherboards. Scrolling down the UIAC-ALL document you will find one section for the "0xa2af" motherboard. Following the instructions in his article, create the appropriate SSDT for your Z370N board.

If it helps, I have attached a copy of my SSDT below. Your own compiled ".aml" file should be placed in your CLOVER's "ACPI/Patched" folder. Then delete the "USB Port Limit" kernel patch in your config.plist document or maybe just check its "disable" box. That way your SSDT will govern your USB ports.

Thanks for the pointers - much appreciated.:thumbup:

I'm actually familiar with creating my own SSDT but have never had to build one where IORegistryExplorer doesn't show all the ports! So there is obviously more work/research I need to do to get on top of this.

Thanks for your own SSDT too - that will be great to read through for comparison. I actually posted my own previous SSDT in my build log a while back. But like I said, it threw me to discover IORegistryExplorer not reporting all ports.

Asmedia is clearly no fun!

Thanks again. I'll report back once I've dug deeper.

:)

it threw me to discover IORegistryExplorer not reporting all ports.
Is the port limit patch enabled in your config.plist? It has to be for IORegistryExplorer to show all the ports.

Is the port limit patch enabled in your config.plist? It has to be for IORegistryExplorer to show all the ports.

Yes, I removed my previous SSDT and put the Port Limit Removal patch back. This allows ports that weren't working to now work as USB 2.0 only.

(I discovered the USB 3.1 Red port is now on RP19 in IORegEx. but I'm not seeing any USB 3.0 devices on any other ports.) What is more the USB stick came out of the RP19 port *very* hot. Not promising.

As I write this I'm working through everything I can find but so much makes no difference at all ...

:crazy:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back