Motherboard
Gigabyte - GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151
CPU
Intel - Core i7-6700K
Graphics
EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ACX 2.0
Mac
  1. iMac
Background: -10.12.5 running flawlessly on a 960 Evo (NVME SSD)
-Windows running on 850 Evo (still works fine)
-external time machine backup
-Got the 960 recognized with RehabMan's patch (not the updated spoof method, which is from what I understand I should've used to prevent this exact problem).

I forgot to turn off autoupdates, so after a few months of perfect performance this morning found the system unable to boot. I get a kernel panic - attached a pic of the verbose log.

I assume this is occurring because the update added in the IONVMeFamily.kext, making it crash. What I don't know is how to fix this. I can't boot onto single user, safe mode, etc. I've tried everything I can think of. Made a new usb boot loader with clover and a custom config to try and inject the new kext. Tried deleting the added IONVMeFamily from the windows drive. Removed the boot caches as well. Didn't work. At this point I'd love to just restore from my time machine backup -- which I'd been avoiding -- but since I can't even boot to safe mode not even sure how to that at this point.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Background: -10.12.5 running flawlessly on a 960 Evo (NVME SSD)
-Windows running on 850 Evo (still works fine)
-external time machine backup
-Got the 960 recognized with RehabMan's patch (not the updated spoof method, which is from what I understand I should've used to prevent this exact problem).

I forgot to turn off autoupdates, so after a few months of perfect performance this morning found the system unable to boot. I get a kernel panic - attached a pic of the verbose log.

I assume this is occurring because the update added in the IONVMeFamily.kext, making it crash. What I don't know is how to fix this. I can't boot onto single user, safe mode, etc. I've tried everything I can think of. Made a new usb boot loader with clover and a custom config to try and inject the new kext. Tried deleting the added IONVMeFamily from the windows drive. Removed the boot caches as well. Didn't work. At this point I'd love to just restore from my time machine backup -- which I'd been avoiding -- but since I can't even boot to safe mode not even sure how to that at this point.

Am I missing something?

Boot into the macOS installer.
And from Terminal, remove IONVMeFamily.kext from your system volume.

-OR-

Implement the class-code spoof.
Create USB with class-code spoof SSDT, appropriate config.plist settings, and HackrNVMeFamily in CLOVER/kexts/Other (generated with --spoof).
Boot using that USB.
Then fix up your main EFI/Clover and HackrNVMeFamily to use the class-code spoof.

Boot into the macOS installer.
And from Terminal, remove IONVMeFamily.kext from your system volume.

-OR-

Implement the class-code spoof.
Create USB with class-code spoof SSDT, appropriate config.plist settings, and HackrNVMeFamily in CLOVER/kexts/Other (generated with --spoof).
Boot using that USB.
Then fix up your main EFI/Clover and HackrNVMeFamily to use the class-code spoof.

Thanks RehabMan for the reply.

Followed your instructions: successfully removed NVMeFamily via installer terminal.
attempt to boot normally: kernel panic
deleted kext cache via terminal

I've also tried all the flags as before (safe mode, single user, -f, etc.) but still get kernel panic.

This time it reads: "com.apple.iokit.IONVeFamily start failed"
I can upload the verbose log, but aside from that it's pretty much the same. Just instead of duplicate IONVMe, it doesn't load (obviously)

Thanks RehabMan for the reply.

Followed your instructions: successfully removed NVMeFamily via installer terminal.
deleted kext cache via terminal

I've also tried all the flags as before (safe mode, single user, -f, etc.) but still get kernel panic.

This time it reads: "com.apple.iokit.IONVeFamily start failed"
I can upload the verbose log, but aside from that it's pretty much the same. Just instead of duplicate IONVMe, it doesn't load (obviously)

You will need to make sure you really deleted it, and you will need to make sure it is not in kernel cache.

I would plan on implementing the class-code spoof. It is not that difficult.

You will need to make sure you really deleted it, and you will need to make sure it is not in kernel cache.

I would plan on implementing the class-code spoof. It is not that difficult.

okay, so when running terminal from the installer, I actually can't even see my drive... Not through disk utility either... So can't access the system volume.

Followed the steps for the class-code spoof. Put the req asl and kext on a clover bootable usb. kernel panicked with the same error...

okay, so when running terminal from the installer, I actually can't even see my drive... Not through disk utility either... So can't access the system volume.

You must implement NVMe properly in your USB EFI/Clover.
Read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-ionvmefamily-using-class-code-spoof.210316/

Followed the steps for the class-code spoof. Put the req asl and kext on a clover bootable usb. kernel panicked with the same error...

Assuming you are trying to boot the installer and not your already messed up partition...

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read NVMe guide, post #1, "Problem Reporting", attach requested files.

You must implement NVMe properly in your USB EFI/Clover.
Read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-ionvmefamily-using-class-code-spoof.210316/

Assuming you are trying to boot the installer and not your already messed up partition...

Read NVMe guide, post #1, "Problem Reporting", attach requested files.

Followed the steps to that guide exactly. I'm confident I did it correctly.

Didn't attach any files because the kernel panic is the exact same log at the one I previously posted

Followed the steps to that guide exactly. I'm confident I did it correctly.

Please read NVMe guide, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully.
Attach all files/images requested.

Please read NVMe guide, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully.
Attach all files/images requested.

I'm sorry, my mistake.

files attached.

I'm sorry, my mistake.

files attached.

There is an existing _DSM method at _SB.PCI0.RP17.PXSX in your native DSDT.aml.
You forgot _DSM->XDSM patch in config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches.
Without the patch, the existing _DSM in DSDT causes the _DSM in SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml to be ignored.

Read NVMe guide, "Existing _DSM methods" again. Carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back