Contribute
Register

10.12.4 Bad Graphics Glitches (Intel HD 4600 | NVIDIA GeForce 940 M)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MS-16GH
CPU
Intel i5-4210H @ 2.90 GHz
Graphics
Intel HD 4600 | NVIDIA GeForce 940M 1920x1080
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello,

I have an MSI GP60-2QE gaming laptop that I was able to install macOS Sierra 10.12.2 on. I am currently multi-booting Windows 10, macOS Sierra 10.12.4, and Ubuntu LTS 16.04 from the same hard drive.

I had most things somewhat working (audio would sometimes work, Intel HD 4600 was recognized but only using 7mb, etc..) and was in the process of trying to tweak everything/find what kexts would turn this into something more usable.

I decided to update to 10.12.4 and was unable to boot at first, but upgraded to Clover UEFI r4049 and have managed to be able to boot into macOS again. Unfortunately, I now have a really bad graphics glitch that causes everything to be very distorted, repeated, and just messed up overall. I can barely make out anything on the screen.

At first I thought my actual hardware was failing, but everything is fine on Windows and Ubuntu. I've added screenshots to help explain what's going on.

Login Screen

0reK8SQ.jpg

Desktop

qVzjDnI.jpg

Has anyone had a similar experience or have any advice of what I could look into to resolve this issue? Also, please let me know if there is anything else I can provide that would help in finding a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello,

I have an MSI GP60-2QE gaming laptop that I was able to install macOS Sierra 10.12.2 on. I am currently multi-booting Windows 10, macOS Sierra 10.12.4, and Ubuntu LTS 16.04 from the same hard drive.

I had most things somewhat working (audio would sometimes work, Intel HD 4600 was recognized but only using 7mb, etc..) and was in the process of trying to tweak everything/find what kexts would turn this into something more usable.

I decided to update to 10.12.4 and was unable to boot at first, but upgraded to Clover UEFI r4049 and have managed to be able to boot into macOS again. Unfortunately, I now have a really bad graphics glitch that causes everything to be very distorted, repeated, and just messed up overall. I can barely make out anything on the screen.

At first I thought my actual hardware was failing, but everything is fine on Windows and Ubuntu. I've added screenshots to help explain what's going on.

Login Screen

0reK8SQ.jpg

Desktop

qVzjDnI.jpg

Has anyone had a similar experience or have any advice of what I could look into to resolve this issue? Also, please let me know if there is anything else I can provide that would help in finding a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Enable legacy boot/CSM in BIOS.

Wow that was an easy fix, thank you so much. I thought it was a much more complex issue. What exactly did that do? I'm assuming that you posted this somewhere else on the forum and I just missed it somehow.

Wow that was an easy fix, thank you so much. I thought it was a much more complex issue. What exactly did that do?

Legacy/CSM causes BIOS to initialize the graphics hardware differently...
and it seems to be more compatible with what macOS/OS X expects.

I'm assuming that you posted this somewhere else on the forum and I just missed it somehow.

It is in the guide...
BIOS settings
Note: If you get a "garbled" screen when booting the installer in UEFI mode, enable legacy boot and/or CSM in BIOS (but still boot UEFI). Enabling legacy boot/CSM generally tends to clear that problem.

Last edited:
Legacy/CSM causes BIOS to initialize the graphics hardware differently...
and it seems to be more compatible with what macOS/OS X expects.

It is in the guide...
After update to 10.12.4, my intel hd had showed to 1536 Mb but the accelleration still off. I already change the bios startup both into legacy > UEFI first and legacy > legacy. Did I miss something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back