Contribute
Register

10.12.2 - org.hwsensors.driver.ACPISensors / org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC - Boot and Sleep Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all thank you for your work around FakeSMC. I build an Hackintosh that is DSDT free (explicit with a yukon ethernet build in network and usb audio and usb bluetooth) and it works very well - thanks to FakeSMC and Clover alone.

--

Yeah I guessed but wasn't sure, thanks for letting me know!

I still don't know how every single of my 4 disks got to have an EFI partition while only one (and the bootable USB stick) should have one.

I still don't know how every single of my 4 disks got to have an EFI partition while only one (and the bootable USB stick) should have one.

All GPT partitioned disks have an EFI partition. It is to be expected.

Day 1

The only issues I have are sometimes a boot time and stand-by panics.
After installing 10.12.3 I noticed that the trace of crash was only caused by/traced back to FakeSMC.
I have then downloaded latest FakeSMC by rehab from 2017-01-17 https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fakesmc-kozlek/downloads and installed it via EFI Mounter and it seems I don't have issues anymore.

However! When mounting with EFI Mounter v3 I had some issues and I think I am beginning to understand. EFI Mounter v3 always shows all my hard disks but sometimes the order is different if I run diskutil list
atm it is:

Code:
$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Storage                 2.0 TB     disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Time Machine            2.0 TB     disk1s2

/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *320.1 GB   disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Photos                  319.7 GB   disk2s2

/dev/disk3 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk3
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk3s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            499.2 GB   disk3s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk3s3

/dev/disk4 (external, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *31.6 GB    disk4
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk4s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Install OS X El Captain 31.2 GB    disk4s2

The 500GB drive is my BOOT DRIVE / SSD and atm appears as /dev/disk3 (internal, physical):
However it used to appear as disk0 or disk1 and it seems to move around with every boot.

Because of history or Multibeast (not sure) I have got an EFI partition on at least one of the 2TB drives.
Cause of that maybe that EFI partition was loaded sometimes.

When "fixing" my install, I mounted multiple times and copied the same recent REHAB fakeSMC to both.
Should all of my drives have an EFI partition?
How would I tell clover what drive to use? Can I tell it by uuid or something?

I am trying to kill all the EFI partitions that are not on my "boot drive" or "os x installer usb-zip" now, via https://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php?topic=14019.0, aka
Code:
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2

sudo gpt remove -i 1 disk2

---------------------------

Day 2

This is how my diskutil list looks now
Code:
$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk0
   1:                  Apple_HFS Storage                 2.0 TB     disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk1
   1:                  Apple_HFS Time Machine            2.0 TB     disk1s2

/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *320.1 GB   disk2
   1:                  Apple_HFS Photos                  319.7 GB   disk2s2

/dev/disk3 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk3
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk3s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            499.2 GB   disk3s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk3s3

/dev/disk4 (external, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *31.6 GB    disk4
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk4s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Install OS X El Captain 31.2 GB    disk4s2

Disk4 is a zip drive.

I am going to reboot and see if I still have any issues with boot crashes, sleep crashes.
Today my hackintosh slept for 12 hours in deep sleep (e.g. have to weak up through power-button/mouse, fan is shut off)

------------------------

Day 3

Everything seems ultra stable now. Deep Sleep and Wake-Up works for really long times. The only thing I had to do was disable Power Nap. No more crashes on startup, nor on sleep/wakeup.

Thanks for your support Violet Dragon!

The bsd names assigned to disks is non-deterministic. You should not depend on specific assignments when it comes to the diskX identifiers.

Actually I've noticed that bsd names assigned changes on each reboot is something to do with Sierra. Im currently running El Capitan and they don't seem to move about. But personally i wouldn't worry about it.

Actually I've noticed that bsd names assigned changes on each reboot is something to do with Sierra. Im currently running El Capitan and they don't seem to move about. But personally i wouldn't worry about it.

They can move around on either. It is timing dependent. Stability or non-stability is just difference in timing.
It is as should be expected.

They can move around on either. It is timing dependent. Stability or non-stability is just difference in timing.
It is as should be expected.

Originally i thought that if they moved on Waking up the computer it could problems. But i guess not now i know that its normal.

Originally i thought that if they moved on Waking up the computer it could problems. But i guess not now i know that its normal.

They will not change across sleep/wake unless the devices have been disconnected.

I removed them, is that in any way problematic?

I don't know why you would do that.
Since the EFI partition is first, the space cannot easily be recovered for the remaining partitions.

Because I had multiple clover installations on different EFI partitions on different hard drives. I am not sure how they got there to be honest. Before that it was an old guard system that used chimera not clover. To be sure that the right EFI partition is booted I just oped to remove all of them, I don't care about the 200 MiB (or so).

A few month back, already on clover, but I think on 10.11 I had a few hangs when booting, where the graphics driver would not initialize properly and the "vga loading bar" would go on forever until full, but no login window. I don't know but suspect that it loaded the EFI partitions on some other drivers where the whole configuration was old or just bad. To get around that I had to boot via a unibeast USB stick, then choose my boot drive.

I removed them, is that in any way problematic?

Because I had multiple clover installations on different EFI partitions on different hard drives. I am not sure how they got there to be honest. Before that it was an old guard system that used chimera not clover. To be sure that the right EFI partition is booted I just oped to remove all of them, I don't care about the 200 MiB (or so).

A few month back, already on clover, but I think on 10.11 I had a few hangs when booting, where the graphics driver would not initialize properly and the "vga loading bar" would go on forever until full, but no login window. I don't know but suspect that it loaded the EFI partitions on some other drivers where the whole configuration was old or just bad. To get around that I had to boot via a unibeast USB stick, then choose my boot drive.

Doesn't make no sense why you would delete the EFI. All drives in OS X that are partitioned in OS X Extended has a EFI partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back