Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've had a working El Capitan hackintosh for over a year now and I've been installing security updates without problems. A few days ago I decided to install the latest one (no idea about any version number) and ran into problems.

When I booted up after the update, before I had a chance to update nvidia drivers (I'm using an GTX 970) it had a kernel panic. I managed to install the nvidia drivers after doing a cold boot (power off overnight) but just when I thought it was working fine it kernel panicked again. Now it kernel panics when I log in or after staying on the desktop a few seconds. Safe Mode doesn't help, I can only stay on the desktop a while longer but doing anything (opening preferences etc) triggers the kernel panic. Booting into single user mode is no use as I can't write anything in the command prompt as it doesn't seem to recognise my USB keyboard.

To make it even more difficult all recovery USB's I've made aren't working. I tried memory cards and various USB sticks, I even borrowed a stick from our IT guys at work today but all USB's get stuck on the Apple logo and progress bar screen after the progress bar has progressed about 3/4 of the way. Then it's just stuck there. As I write this I'm cooking up a new Sierra stick with Unibeast, let's see how that fares. The El Capitan install USB that I borrowed from work just throw a prohibited sign when I try to boot from it. I have fixed the permissions to the best of my ability.

The kernel panic messages seem to be different every time. I've gotten the "Bluetooth transport missing" thing as well as others.

Other problems are that I can't change boot flags in Clover. Changing the nvda_drv flag makes Clover crash and if I manage to set another flag it's not persistent.

I'll try the Sierra stick now. I also have a Windows partition that works fine, is there something I can do with that? I'm using my work MacBook to cook the install USB sticks so I have access to a real Mac. In the worst case I need to get my files out and just wipe the mac drive.

Recap:
- Kernel panic with various error messages (incl. bluetooth transport missing) on/after login screen
- Managed to install new webdrivers
- Safe Mode doesn't help much
- Booting without cache doesn't help much
- Cold boot worked for a while
- No keyboard input in Single User Mode (USB keyboard, tried different inputs)
- Install USB's don't seem to work (loading bar gets stuck on 3/4 progress, sometimes with a beachball of doom)

CPU: Intel Skylake 6600
Chipset: Z170
OS X version: El Capitan 10.11.6 plus whatever security update we're on
SMBIOS product name: MacPro3,1
Clover boot flags: dart=0 nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0
Clover version: 2.3k Build: 2015-11-01

Any clues are appreciated! I really liked my hackintosh and it worked very well for a long time and I'd love to get it back.

Updates:

Latest kernel panic errors: windowcache (or was it manager?) and kextcache.

I can now use Safe Mode with some success. It still kernel panics after a while though. I tried the Sierra USB drive but that wouldn't work as the product name is MacPro3,1. I tried using Clover Configurator to change it but I can't mount the EFI in Safe Mode.

I'm now making a new El Capitan stick with UniBeast.

Updates #2:

Managed to boot from the El Capitan stick and am now reinstalling OS X. I understood from this forum that installing over a current installation would preserve all files. Hope that's true!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back