Contribute
Register

10.11.4+ Skylake Starter Guide

Bout had enough of this Mackintosh malarky - fix one problem and another occurs!! FCP X crashes after importing first Video (1Gb Mp4).

Is this how it is for everyone!!!! LOL
Some things to consider, Your system definition is a 2008(Mac Pro 3,1), You can change this in MultiBeast/Customize/System definitions to a 2015 Skylake iMac17,1.
CPU/IGPU Power Management : Mavericks: Native CPU/IGPU Power Management

Changing now - didn't reboot so just noticed although not crashing system glitches badly on booting. thanks
Still the same and glitchy booting - sorry. Quicktime reports An unknown error occurred (-101), I guess if QT won't play then FCP X won't either?

Attachments

• Richard’s iMac.ioreg
    4.5 MB · Views: 294
Some things to consider, Your system definition is a 2008(Mac Pro 3,1), You can change this in MultiBeast/Customize/System definitions to a 2015 Skylake iMac17,1.
CPU/IGPU Power Management : Mavericks: Native CPU/IGPU Power Management
I have access to a GTX 960 oc it's in my son's computer so he won't be best please but do you think I should give it a try to see if it cures all my woes?

UPDATE: Because I hadn't purchased speakers yet, I didn't realise my sound wasn't working - updated to use 1150 drivers in Multibeast and low and behold Quicktime and FCP X now working?? Bruce X FCP test at 65 seconds with onboard graphics - will call that a result.

Did notice system only reporting 32Gb when I have 64Gb; after several hours of searching and modifying several things I tried one forum users fix of simply updating Clover - worked a treat reporting correct memory speed too.

ONLY downside and it's nothing, is that my clover looks totally different and is large blue icons on a light background and searching the forum I have found no reference to a change in how Clover looks? Oh well it all works - if it aint broke...........

Many thanks to everyone who helped but especially to wildwillow who has been amazing.

Last edited:
I have access to a GTX 960 oc it's in my son's computer so he won't be best please but do you think I should give it a try to see if it cures all my woes?

UPDATE: Because I hadn't purchased speakers yet, I didn't realise my sound wasn't working - updated to use 1150 drivers in Multibeast and low and behold Quicktime and FCP X now working?? Bruce X FCP test at 65 seconds with onboard graphics - will call that a result.

Did notice system only reporting 32Gb when I have 64Gb; after several hours of searching and modifying several things I tried one forum users fix of simply updating Clover - worked a treat reporting correct memory speed too.

ONLY downside and it's nothing, is that my clover looks totally different and is large blue icons on a light background and searching the forum I have found no reference to a change in how Clover looks? Oh well it all works - if it aint broke...........

Many thanks to everyone who helped but especially to wildwillow who has been amazing.
Glad you've managed to iron out some of your wrinkles. For a different theme in Clover you can install them from the Clover installer, seeing as you've updated you can see what themes you've got installed in the theme folder on your EFI/Clover partition. Resolution can also be set in the GUI section of your config.plist.

Yes, if you're using the GT740, use the boot flag nv_disable=1 instead of -x(safe mode). This will allow you to mount partitions. I can only assume you are using the GT740 for the installation.
You are correct; since the F3 and F4c versions of Gigabyte's Q-Flash firmware both have the initial configuration of graphics as PCIe in their Optimized Defaults mode, I left it that way and used the GT740 to drive my monitor.

I appreciate your attempt to help me, but there has been much water under the bridge since I wrote my post. I bought another computer case, and installed my Haswell mobo and CPU into it, bought two more SSDs and installed El Capitan on one. That did work on the Haswell setup, or rather ONE of the disks works (writing on the Haswell El Capitan setup now), but I cannot get the other disk to boot. I wanted to get both disks running and then move one to the Skylake computer, but I can't get both to boot. (No graphics card in the Haswell system; set up on IGFX only.)

Any ideas? I've posted quite a few times on these forums (like in El Capitan Desktop Support forum) but I see mostly unanswered questions there, including mine.

Has anyone made the iGPU QuickSync feature work? I've seen some people with the Airplay Icon but I don't get no matter if I boot with just Nvidia card, the iGPU or both. I'm using iMac 17,1 system definition.

I followed the h170n mini its build guide as that is the same motherboard I am using. I got OS X installed and running. Web drivers are working, however my audio doesn't detect my headphones when I plug them into the back of my motherboard. However, my hdmi audio does work. Any thoughts?

I followed the h170n mini its build guide as that is the same motherboard I am using. I got OS X installed and running. Web drivers are working, however my audio doesn't detect my headphones when I plug them into the back of my motherboard. However, my hdmi audio does work. Any thoughts?

Now bearing in mind your taking advice now from a noob: The only thing I did different was in MultiBeast for El Capitan I loaded the 100 series motherboard sound drivers as well as the 1150 drivers and mine works fine.

Thanks so much for this guide! I'm following this thread and, using its tips, FINALLY got my new MSI Z170A-G45 Gaming motherboard with 6700k processor working. It's finicky though, and I'm encountering roadblocks at every step.

First question: I've got 4 x 16GB chips of RAM in there, but About This Mac only shows 32GB total. So I know I have to follow your instructions on editing the config. In your suggested code you include this twice:

Code:
                <dict>
                    <key>Frequency</key>
                    <integer>2133</integer>
                    <key>Part</key>
                    <string>CT2C8G4DFD8213</string>
                    <key>Serial</key>
                    <string>0200020B000C020B</string>
                    <key>Size</key>
                    <string>8192</string>
                    <key>Slot</key>
                    <integer>2</integer>
                    <key>Type</key>
                    <string>DDR4</string>
                    <key>Vendor</key>
                    <string>Crucial</string>
                </dict>

so am I right in assuming, in my case, I should copy and paste this 4x, and should I change the Size string to 16384?

Are any of the other things important, like Frequency? Do I have to update them too?

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

Back