Contribute
Register

10.11.4+ Skylake Starter Guide

I was booted into Safe mode; is that the problem?
Yes, if you're using the GT740, use the boot flag nv_disable=1 instead of -x(safe mode). This will allow you to mount partitions. I can only assume you are using the GT740 for the installation.

attached x 2 can't thank you enough....PS running on DSUB (temporarily) because it crashes every few minutes and i just can't get anything done - this is why in display it shows 800x600 graphics
When you say it crashes using HDMI, what happens? You need to be connected to HDMI whilst getting an IOReg.
Looking at your IOReg you've run HD530 Customization from MultiBeast? please confirm. Reply with IOReg connected to HDMI, hopefully you can get it before it crashes.

When you say it crashes using HDMI, what happens? You need to be connected to HDMI whilst getting an IOReg.
Looking at your IOReg you've run HD530 Customization from MultiBeast? please confirm. Reply with IOReg connected to HDMI, hopefully you can get it before it crashes.

Screen goes black for couple of seconds before login, then straight after login, then its a race to do anything as you have anywhere from 20 secs to about 90 secs before it goes blank again but this time won't come back on - occasionally has beach ball rotating with a broken graphic flashing above it! Just tried 6 reboots before being able to run IOReg in HDMI !

Then had to plug DSUB back in to be able to type this and add IOReg file, different name didnt have time to rename it! Thanks

PS yes did load 530 HD with Multibeast

Attachments

• Richard’s iMac.ioreg
    4.2 MB · Views: 233
Screen goes black for couple of seconds before login, then straight after login, then its a race to do anything as you have anywhere from 20 secs to about 90 secs before it goes blank again but this time won't come back on - occasionally has beach ball rotating with a broken graphic flashing above it! Just tried 6 reboots before being able to run IOReg in HDMI !

Then had to plug DSUB back in to be able to type this and add IOReg file, different name didnt have time to rename it! Thanks

PS yes did load 530 HD with Multibeast
OK thanks, first of all, restart your system and enter the BIOS > Peripherals > Make sure Internal Graphics Memory size is set to 64M, I've seen the default is set to 32M on many boards. Press F10 save and exit and boot connected to your HDMI connection. See how this reacts/performs at the desktop, if it still causes problems we'll try a framebuffer connector edit via Clover config.plist.

OK thanks, first of all, restart your system and enter the BIOS > Peripherals > Make sure Internal Graphics Memory size is set to 64M, I've seen the default is set to 32M on many boards. Press F10 save and exit and boot connected to your HDMI connection. See how this reacts/performs at the desktop, if it still causes problems we'll try a framebuffer connector edit via Clover config.plist.

Bios says: DVMT pre-allocated 64M
DVMT total Gfx Mem 256M

Tried increasing to 266/max made things worse crashed before desktop?

See how this reacts/performs at the desktop, if it still causes problems we'll try a framebuffer connector edit via Clover config.plist.

Have done a bit of reading since last night and will try pre-allocated mem at 128 etc etc (leaving max as is) as this has worked for at least one user - you about wildwillow? (you never know which part of the world everyone is from on here so you don't know if people as asleep or what??)

Have done a bit of reading since last night and will try pre-allocated mem at 128 etc etc (leaving max as is) as this has worked for at least one user - you about wildwillow? (you never know which part of the world everyone is from on here so you don't know if people as asleep or what??)
DVMT Total memory size is set to Max and Internal Graphics Memory size is set to 64M. This works well for my system with HD530 but by all means test different settings.
Test: Open config.plist, navigate to KernelandKextPatches/KextToPatch, hit the plus icon and add the following:

Name: AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer.kext
Find : 010509000004000087010000
Replace : 010509000008000087010000
Comment : 10.11.5_Port0x5-DP2HDMI.

Save and close, restart and test the HDMI connection. Question, your HDMI connection is a straight connection/no adapters from motherboard to monitor?
Reply with IOReg connected to HDMI monitor.

Name: AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer.kext
Find : 010509000004000087010000
Replace : 010509000008000087010000
Comment : 10.11.5_Port0x5-DP2HDMI.

Save and close, restart and test the HDMI connection. Question, your HDMI connection is a straight connection/no adapters from motherboard to monitor?
Reply with IOReg connected to HDMI monitor.

Hi there nice to have you back wildwillow!

First time I've been able to have enough time to get logged on, create IOReg, get on the forum and send you it without crashing! So from that you may take it that it seems to be OK!?

Yes straight HDMI to HDMI cable.........incredible thanks for your efforts.

Ive been purchasing a part for this machine every two weeks or so my aim is to have one 1920x1080 monitor (the one I have) and one 4K monitor as I will soon need to edit 4K in FCP X.

So I will need to purchase a graphics card in the next 3-4 weeks (see my rant further up this thread) - I had hoped to leave this monitor in the HD530 and put the new 4K monitor in a new graphics card but I have now read this causing problems under FCP X not really knowing which card to use for encoding? So I may have to get something that suits not only 2 monitors but also runs in 4K - I know I should buy an older R9 280X in terms of suitability and OOB function, but I keep reading it doesn't support 4K.

You can gladly answer my question, but you really have done enough for me over the last few days, can't thank you enough.

Attachments

• Richard’s iMac.ioreg
    4.4 MB · Views: 236
You can gladly answer my question, but you really have done enough for me over the last few days, can't thank you enough.

Bout had enough of this Mackintosh malarky - fix one problem and another occurs!! FCP X crashes after importing first Video (1Gb Mp4).

Is this how it is for everyone!!!! LOL

UPDATE: My Mp4 Videos from my Sony Action Cam don't play in Quicktime either so possibly not FCP X?? (actually nothing plays at all?)

Last edited:
Hi there nice to have you back wildwillow!

First time I've been able to have enough time to get logged on, create IOReg, get on the forum and send you it without crashing! So from that you may take it that it seems to be OK!?

Yes straight HDMI to HDMI cable.........incredible thanks for your efforts.

Ive been purchasing a part for this machine every two weeks or so my aim is to have one 1920x1080 monitor (the one I have) and one 4K monitor as I will soon need to edit 4K in FCP X.

So I will need to purchase a graphics card in the next 3-4 weeks (see my rant further up this thread) - I had hoped to leave this monitor in the HD530 and put the new 4K monitor in a new graphics card but I have now read this causing problems under FCP X not really knowing which card to use for encoding? So I may have to get something that suits not only 2 monitors but also runs in 4K - I know I should buy an older R9 280X in terms of suitability and OOB function, but I keep reading it doesn't support 4K.

No problem richardp1512,

Hopefully your system will remain stable for you. I read your post about graphics, graphics cards. At the moment HD530 really only works on one monitor. AMD/ATI have a great track record with FCP X and like you, from what I've read Nvidia performance in OS X has improved. There are quirks with each of these chips. In El Capitan, AMD cards(not all) won't sleep unless integrated graphics are set to first priority. The 280X seems to be the better card to date for compatibility. There is a great selection of Nvidia card that'll work with 4k, you'll need the web drivers for Maxwell cards, for the 1070/80 who knows when the web drivers will be released. Keep your eyes open for announcements. For overall stability the Nvidia cards are the best choice, supported by Nvidia with an update for each OS X release. For further graphics questions best to post in and check out the Graphics forum.

Back