Contribute
Register

10.11.0-10.11.3 Skylake Starter Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skylake Starter Guide

If anyone has Asus H170 Pro Gaming Mobo working and can share SSDT, I would appreciate it. My alternate method would be to try Asus Z170 SSDT on the original post to see if the USB ports that I care about would work. Thanks.

Hi Spark2,
So, can Asus Z170 SSDT be applied to Asus H170 Pro Gaming Mobo n working safely yet?

Hi Spark2,
So, can Asus Z170 SSDT be applied to Asus H170 Pro Gaming Mobo n working safely yet?
spark2k was last seen: Nov 13, 2017 ;)

I have an Asrock Z270M Extreme4, running 10.13.4 all up to date. Everything runs fine, except I have sleep problems (waking a couple of seconds after sleep from the Apple menu, not sleeping properly according to Energy Saver settings. I was going to follow this guide for creating a USB SSDT. I installed the latest USBInjectAll.kext (20 April), have the XHCI-200-series-injector.kext installed, and the kext patch to increase the USB limit to 30.

When I run IORegistryExplorer, the XHC@14 section is as shown in the attached screenshot. It only shows HS01-14 plus USR1. I've also attached the full ioreg file. I've no idea why no SS entries are shown. I had a couple of USB 3 flash drives inserted - they show as removed (red strikethrough).

Any advice welcome.

EDIT:
One thing I have noticed is that at RP01@1c, IOPP, PXSX@0, PXSX@00000000, there is an AppleUSB30XHCIPort@00200000 for my USB 3.0 Seagate Expansion Drive. That is the only area where I can see anything related to USB 3.

EDIT2:
OK, I noticed this post #84 in the macOS 10.13.4 Update guide about a new patch needed for USB. I installed that. and I now have a complete 26 entry list including all the HS and SS ports. The only strange thing I see is that my USB3 external Seagate HD doesn't appear in the XHC@14 entries. It's still showing in RP01@1c. I've deleted the previous files and attached the new ioreg file.

Anyway, I'll now go ahead with the USB port mapping.

Last edited:
I've finally done the SSDT creation following the guide exactly. I have just two questions I'd be grateful for help on.

The template has "//XHC overrides for 100-series boards
"8086_a12f",Package()
Is that OK for Z270 boards?

Also, the guide says the file should be saved as a .asl file, but later says an SSDT-USB.aml file goes in /ACPI/Patched. MaciASL wants to save the file as .aml. Am I missing something?

I've finally done the SSDT creation following the guide exactly. I have just two questions I'd be grateful for help on.

The template has "//XHC overrides for 100-series boards
"8086_a12f",Package()
Is that OK for Z270 boards?

Also, the guide says the file should be saved as a .asl file, but later says an SSDT-USB.aml file goes in /ACPI/Patched. MaciASL wants to save the file as .aml. Am I missing something?

Check System Information>USB section. On my 300 series motherboard, it's a2af.
Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 5.57.31 AM.png

When you are ready to save:
1. Go to the menu bar and click File, then select Save As...
2. Name it SSDT-USB.
3. Click on the File Format drop down menu and select ACPI Machine Language Binary.
Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 5.54.34 AM.png
4. Click the Save button.

Check System Information>USB section. On my 300 series motherboard, it's a2af.
View attachment 340498

When you are ready to save:
1. Go to the menu bar and click File, then select Save As...
2. Name it SSDT-USB.
3. Click on the File Format drop down menu and select ACPI Machine Language Binary.
View attachment 340501
4. Click the Save button.
Thank you very much, Pastrychef -- as always, you are very helpful. My PCIID for the USB 3.0 Bus is the same as yours. I assume I should insert that in the .dsl file instead of a12f, i.e. "8086_a2af"?

I have installed the .aml file, without that change, and deleted the 'change 15 port limit ..." entry in KextsToPatch. I do have the APIC entry, and also the USB 10.13.4+ by PMHeart -- I assume I still need that. As it stands, all 26 USB ports still show in IORegistryExplorer attached, but as far as I've checked the ports I use are working. though somehow some entries have changed, e.g. the port used by Bluetooth. Maybe that because of the wrong PCIID?

I'll redo the guide Identifying Ports process. I'm still on 10.13.5, because when I tried 10.13.6 I lost USB 3, even with the 10.13.6+ patch from PMHeart and FredWest. I'm hoping the SSDT will fix that, when I get the SSDT right.

Attachments

• Sys’s iMac.ioreg
    26.4 MB · Views: 155
Thank you very much, Pastrychef -- as always, you are very helpful. My PCIID for the USB 3.0 Bus is the same as yours. I assume I should insert that in the .dsl file instead of a12f, i.e. "8086_a2af"?

I have installed the .aml file, without that change, and deleted the 'change 15 port limit ..." entry in KextsToPatch. I do have the APIC entry, and also the USB 10.13.4+ by PMHeart -- I assume I still need that. As it stands, all 26 USB ports still show in IORegistryExplorer attached, but as far as I've checked the ports I use are working. though somehow some entries have changed, e.g. the port used by Bluetooth. Maybe that because of the wrong PCIID?

I'll redo the guide Identifying Ports process. I'm still on 10.13.5, because when I tried 10.13.6 I lost USB 3, even with the 10.13.6+ patch from PMHeart and FredWest. I'm hoping the SSDT will fix that, when I get the SSDT right.

Yes, 8086_a2af.

Once you have made your SSDT-USB.aml and applied the uia_exclude= to cut your number of ports to 15 or less, you will no longer need any of the 15 port limit KextsToPatch. The PMHeart one, the older ones, all of them can be disabled or deleted from your config.plist.

Once you have your SSDT-USB.aml and applied the uia_exclude=, you should see 15 ports or less in IORegistryExplorer.

The SSDT-USB.aml with uia_exclude= will cut your ports to within the limits so you won't have to worry about those KextsToPatches anymore. It has made updating macOS much simpler for me. If you look at the 10.13.6 update thread, the majority of the issues are either (1) botched Clover update and/or (2) USB. Both of these can be easily avoided.

Yes, 8086_a2af.

Once you have made your SSDT-USB.aml and applied the uia_exclude= to cut your number of ports to 15 or less, you will no longer need any of the 15 port limit KextsToPatch. The PMHeart one, the older ones, all of them can be disabled or deleted from your config.plist.

Once you have your SSDT-USB.aml and applied the uia_exclude=, you should see 15 ports or less in IORegistryExplorer.

The SSDT-USB.aml with uia_exclude= will cut your ports to within the limits so you won't have to worry about those KextsToPatches anymore. It has made updating macOS much simpler for me. If you look at the 10.13.6 update thread, the majority of the issues are either (1) botched Clover update and/or (2) USB. Both of these can be easily avoided.
Fantastic! I redid the SSDT (realised I'd changed my Bluetooth device since the last port discovery), ended up with 14 USB ports, so I didn't need a uia_exclude statement. After putting the USB SSDT in /Clover/ACPI/Patched, and disabling both 10.13.4+ and 10.13.6+ PMHeart USB patches, on restart only the USB ports in the SSDT are listed in IOReg, and they all work. I updated to 10.13.6, which previously lost me my USB 3 ports, and everything works.

You have been a strong advocate for doing the USB SSDT, and I've now experienced how powerfully effective it is. It was also less complicated than I thought it would be. I couldn't be happier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back