Contribute
Register

10.11.0-10.11.3 Skylake Starter Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skylake Starter Guide

Hi, I have a 6600K at 4.4 GHz and a MSI Z170a Gaming Pro motherboard (And AMD R9 390 for graphics). I have an empty 240 GB Kingston SATA III SSD for the Hackintosh. Can I go ahead and follow the instructions in this guide or is there something specific I should be wary of? I have access to a Mac mini running El Capitan that I can use to make the USB etc. Thanks!

Skylake Starter Guide

You should be good with this guide. I haven't used a Radeon card on mine yet so I don't have any tips there, but hopefully it will work the same as on any other machine.

Skylake Starter Guide

It is completely strange as I have no bluetooth devices attached nor does the motherboard have the feature.

I believe this is most likely the major problem and theres nothing else wrong!

Does your BIOS have a serial port, and if so, have you disabled it?

Skylake Starter Guide

Good news!
With the serial port disabled I'm not getting the kernel panic.

I attempted to use the Clover configuration tool and use MacPro3,1 however the apple logo load boot bar would reach half way and reboot.

I then used the iMac17,1 SMBIOS and the Apple logo boot bar nearly completed however it rebooted without finishing. Im getting a prohibited sign.
So close but not quite there yet , I'm sure I'll laugh about it all afterwards.

Skylake Starter Guide

Which version of Unibeast are you guys using? I used 6.1.1 but it throws an error saying "Couldn't allocate runtime area. Boot failed". I found a thread somewhere that says 6.1 has a bug and to use 6.0.1, but 6.0.1 is no longer available in the Downloads section..

Skylake Starter Guide

To be honest, it's been a while since I created my USB install drive. I can try again with the latest UniBeast and see if I have a problem like that. But I'm pretty sure that UniBeast 6.1.1 works fine, so we will probably need to look elsewhere for the issue.

Skylake Starter Guide

Which version of Unibeast are you guys using? I used 6.1.1 but it throws an error saying "Couldn't allocate runtime area. Boot failed". I found a thread somewhere that says 6.1 has a bug and to use 6.0.1, but 6.0.1 is no longer available in the Downloads section..

UniBeast 6.1.1 should work fine- I've tested on multiple systems personally. Please report any bugs in the proper forum section:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/unibeast/

Skylake Starter Guide

Hi Ammulder. Thanks for the excellent guide. I have made a successful build using the guide here. I used the port injector from your H170 guide as a template to make my own and have all the USB ports working with USB 3.0 speeds.
However, I cannot get the sleep to work. I think the power management on my hack is working. I have enable C-states, P-states, C2,C4, C6 and C7 enabled on clover config.plist. With HWsensors I can see that the frequency of my processors change (I am assuming that power management works?). Cannot get the intel power gadget to install as it says processor is not supported.
When I hit sleep it will put the monitor to sleep but the actual CPU does not sleep. I can turn it back on without any issues both with Intel HD530 and Xfx radeon 5450.
Is there anything I am missing or still need to wait for sleep to work on skylake. Thanks

Skylake Starter Guide

However, I cannot get the sleep to work ... Cannot get the intel power gadget to install as it says processor is not supported. When I hit sleep it will put the monitor to sleep but the actual CPU does not sleep. I can turn it back on without any issues both with Intel HD530 and Xfx radeon 5450.

I have had mixed results with sleep. Most of the time it works fine on a Nvidia GPU for me. It does not seem to work well on the HD 530. I believe El Capitan in general has issues with sleep/wake on Radeon cards. So if you want sleep, I think your best bet is an Nvidia card, but I think even there it's not 100% reliable (maybe if you disable standby?).

FWIW you can get Intel Power Gadget running if you copy the necessary bits from a different machine:
  • /Library/Extensions/EnergyDriver.kext (must be installed like any other kext)
  • /Library/Frameworks/IntelPowerGadget.framework
  • /Applications/Intel Power Gadget/Intel(R) Power Gadget.app

Skylake Starter Guide

Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate your quick reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back