HD3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everyone.

After installing official 10.10 I have stumbled upon a bug that makes me unable to control brightness with fn hotkeys. These were working perfectly under Mavericks.
Basically pressing the FN+F4/F5 key combination once makes OS X think that the keys are still held down, thus it'll be trying to increase/decrease the brightness until I press the opposite key. After that, it just won't react for the FN+F4/F5 keypresses.
Here's a video of me reproducing the issue:
[video=youtube;O9RU-_W-XCo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9RU-_W-XCo[/video]
Notice that the OSD won't go away, which (I guess) indicates that the OS still thinks that the keys are held down.
I have tried installing RehabMan's ACPIBacklight.kext, but this completely disabled brightness control.
I have tried to fix this with reverting the AppleBacklight kext, it didn't help.
I have applied the DSDT patch for renaming the GPU and the other HD3000 brightness patches.
I was running the exact same DSDT+SSDT on Mavericks with no such issues.

Thank you for your time.
EDIT:I completely forgot about attaching IOREG. Here it is.
View attachment IOREG.ioreg

Hey man, unfortunately I dont have a fix for your problem. But I noticed that you were able to get the wifi running. Did you install a specific kext or did it work from stock? (I also have a dell laptop, and just wanted to know this...)

Hello everyone.

After installing official 10.10 I have stumbled upon a bug that makes me unable to control brightness with fn hotkeys. These were working perfectly under Mavericks.
Basically pressing the FN+F4/F5 key combination once makes OS X think that the keys are still held down, thus it'll be trying to increase/decrease the brightness until I press the opposite key. After that, it just won't react for the FN+F4/F5 keypresses.
Here's a video of me reproducing the issue:
[video=youtube;O9RU-_W-XCo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9RU-_W-XCo[/video]
Notice that the OSD won't go away, which (I guess) indicates that the OS still thinks that the keys are held down.
I have tried installing RehabMan's ACPIBacklight.kext, but this completely disabled brightness control.
I have tried to fix this with reverting the AppleBacklight kext, it didn't help.
I have applied the DSDT patch for renaming the GPU and the other HD3000 brightness patches.
I was running the exact same DSDT+SSDT on Mavericks with no such issues.

Thank you for your time.
EDIT:I completely forgot about attaching IOREG. Here it is.
View attachment 113369

Download patchmatic: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-MaciASL-patchmatic.
Extract the 'patchmatic' binary from the ZIP. Copy it to /usr/bin, such that you have the binary at /usr/bin/patchmatic.

In terminal,
Code:
rm -Rf ~/Downloads/RehabMan
mkdir ~/Downloads/RehabMan
cd ~/Downloads/RehabMan
patchmatic -extract

Post contents of Downloads/RehabMan directory (as ZIP).

Hey man, unfortunately I dont have a fix for your problem. But I noticed that you were able to get the wifi running. Did you install a specific kext or did it work from stock? (I also have a dell laptop, and just wanted to know this...)

This laptop came with Intel Centrino N-1030. Unfortunately there's no driver for this particular device for OS X. You have to buy any other mini-PCIe card to get wifi working (Atheros, Broadcom and Ralink cards are known to work). I bought a cheap used Atheros AR9287-based card. Those are relatively cheap.

Anyway, here's the patchmatic. I chmod +x'd it and executed it from local directory instead.

Thanks again!
View attachment patchmatic_extracted.zip

Anyway, here's the patchmatic. I chmod +x'd it and executed it from local directory instead.

View attachment 113389

Try with this DSDT patch:
Code:
into device label KBC set_label begin PS2K end;
into_all all code_regex \.KBC replaceall_matched begin .PS2K end;
into method label _DSM parent_label PS2K remove_entry;
into device label PS2K insert
begin
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)\n
{\n
    If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }\n
    Return (Package()\n
    {\n
        "RM,oem-id", "DELL",\n
        "RM,oem-table-id", "WN09",\n
    })\n
}\n
end;

Note: If ACPIBacklight.kext doesn't work but AppleBacklight.kext does, it indicates your DSDT is not from your own computer, or your own native DSDT has changed since you last extracted/patched.

Huh. That's strange. I was sure I extraced the DSDT with MaciASL and applied few patches. Maybe I got them mixed accidentally during my desperate actions while trying to get it to work.

Anyway. You're a god. It's working perfectly fine now and doesn't make the keys unusable. Thank you for your hard work!

Huh. That's strange. I was sure I extraced the DSDT with MaciASL and applied few patches. Maybe I got them mixed accidentally during my desperate actions while trying to get it to work.

You have ACPIBacklight.kext working now too?

Re-extract/re-patch DSDT is necessary after:
- changing certain BIOS options
- updating hardware (RAM, WiFi card, etc)
- updating to new BIOS version

You have ACPIBacklight.kext working now too?

Re-extract/re-patch DSDT is necessary after:
- changing certain BIOS options
- updating hardware (RAM, WiFi card, etc)
- updating to new BIOS version

Well, that might be the reason. I have disabled all those features like card reader, eSATA and some other. I have also installed a SSD. Do you suggest that I should extract a new DSDT? I see no problem in doing so, but currently it's alright as it is.

Also is ACPIBacklight really needed? I suppose I can try installing it now.
EDIT: ACPIBacklight.kext works wonders. Especially because the screen can now get less bright than before (I often work during night), so I guess it is needed, atleast for me. Thanks again for your time.

Also is ACPIBacklight really needed? I suppose I can try installing it now.
EDIT: ACPIBacklight.kext works wonders. Especially because the screen can now get less bright than before (I often work during night), so I guess it is needed, atleast for me. Thanks again for your time.

Yes... without it you don't get full range of brightness... and no smooth transitions.

Yes... without it you don't get full range of brightness... and no smooth transitions.

Alright, Thanks for an explanation. Have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back