Graphics
Gtx 780
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I just got a 10.10.3 install set up. Everything works perfectly but it requires dart=0 to boot without erroring out. dart=0 disables intel virtual technology which I need for VMs. Is their a work around for this?

Thanks

Motherboard: Sabertooth z77
GPU: EVGA GTX 780

My desktop is a Z77 based system with a 3770K. Intel "Virtualization technology" is enabled in the BIOS and I don't use dart=0, and the system works perfectly fine. I use VMware Fusion all day, with a Windows 7 VM in it and it runs perfectly.

However, I have a K cpu, which means it does not support VT-d, only VT-x, so the BIOS disables VT-d.

I suspect if I had a non-K CPU and used VT-d, I'd face the same problem as well. However, you only need VT-d if you intend to pass through physical devices to a VM, otherwise VT-x is perfectly fine. If your motherboard supports it, leave virtualization On, but disable VT-d and try.

My desktop is a Z77 based system with a 3770K. Intel "Virtualization technology" is enabled in the BIOS and I don't use dart=0, and the system works perfectly fine. I use VMware Fusion all day, with a Windows 7 VM in it and it runs perfectly.

However, I have a K cpu, which means it does not support VT-d, only VT-x, so the BIOS disables VT-d.

I suspect if I had a non-K CPU and used VT-d, I'd face the same problem as well. However, you only need VT-d if you intend to pass through physical devices to a VM, otherwise VT-x is perfectly fine. If your motherboard supports it, leave virtualization On, but disable VT-d and try.

Interesting. All of my VM softwares complain about VT-x being disabled. It is enabled in the bios. Dart=0 should have no effect on it since it only disables VT-d. Now i'm just confused.

Thanks for the help though :D

Edit: Looks like when I changed it in the bios it didn't change. I thought dart=0 disabled it but everything works great and my VMs now work. Thanks!

Interesting. All of my VM softwares complain about VT-x being disabled. It is enabled in the bios. Dart=0 should have no effect on it since it only disables VT-d. Now i'm just confused.

Thanks for the help though :D

Edit: Looks like when I changed it in the bios it didn't change. I thought dart=0 disabled it but everything works great and my VMs now work. Thanks!

You should have to Disable Vt-d not Vt-x (Virtulization Technology).

dart=0 is using for disabling Vt-d on boot.

For running VMs you require Vt-x, Vt-x can be enabled it is supported on OS X.

Note:-
* VT-d - Intel Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back