Contribute
Register

1 SSD for w10 + 1 HDD for mac and windows files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus X550JF
CPU
i7-4720HQ
Graphics
HD4600 & Geforce 930M
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm planning to add a new SSD on my laptop by removing the optical drive and using an HDD/SSD adapter so I will have an SDD (120GB/250GB) + HDD(1TB).
My idea is to have dual boot of Windows 10 and MacOS Sierra on separate drives. I'll install windows 10 on the SSD and create 2 partitions on HDD. One to store windows files and the other to install the macOS Sierra.

Can I have any problem with this setup now or in the future? Is a good idea or any of you have a better suggestion?

Thanks.

I'll install windows 10 on the SSD and create 2 partitions on HDD. One to store windows files and the other to install the macOS Sierra.

Can I have any problem with this setup now or in the future? Is a good idea or any of you have a better suggestion?

Thanks.
It is easier to setup dualboot on separate drives in my opinion. But I would consider splitting the SSD for macOS and Windows for boot drive, and use the HDD for storage.

But I saw on other forum posts that having windows and macOS in the same drive can have problems when windows updates and I'll use windows as my primary OS, that's why I wanted to have it on SDD and mac on HDD.

I'm planning to add a new SSD on my laptop by removing the optical drive and using an HDD/SSD adapter so I will have an SDD (120GB/250GB) + HDD(1TB).
My idea is to have dual boot of Windows 10 and MacOS Sierra on separate drives. I'll install windows 10 on the SSD and create 2 partitions on HDD. One to store windows files and the other to install the macOS Sierra.

Thanks.

Your BIOS may not allow you to boot to the SSD attached to the optical SATA port.
But other than that, I don't see any issue.

Your BIOS may not allow you to boot to the SSD attached to the optical SATA port.
But other than that, I don't see any issue.

This can be bad. Any way to know that before removing the optical drive? Any option in the BIOS or something like that.

windows and macOS in the same drive can have problems when windows updates
Make sure you add the real path to Clover as a boot entry in your firmware i.e. /efi/clover/cloverx64.efi

Workarounds such as relying on the fallback path and/or renaming the windows bootloader executable are liable to break at any time, especially when windows updates or otherwise tries to repair the /efi/microsoft folder.

Install both systems on the SSD, that's a different experience :)
At least for me, there's no problem when they are installed on the same drive. (And every problem from this kind seems to be solvable)

If I decide to install both on SSD, can you give me a link to any guide?
And SSD have 120GB. Is enough for both systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back