Contribute
Register

[05/02 Added Temporary Fix] Pascal / GTX 1060 Glitching after waking from sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
BINGO!! It works for me. :thumbup: :clap: :clap:

However, I'm disappointed that Nvidia has not offered up a solution. Last driver version was released May 16.

I spoke with Ray at Nvidia. He made it seem like they have every intention to update the driver, but wouldn't comment about how high of a priority it is. I wonder if they are abandoning Sierra drivers as beta and looking to implement full support in High Sierra. Personally, if I were Nvidia, I wouldn't invest any more money into Sierra knowing that High Sierra is right around the corner and offering eGPU support. Once High Sierra is out, everyone will be all over Nvidia about a new driver anyway, so why focus on Sierra when it's end is near?

Now it just raises the question of, do we keep running the 1060 hoping they will fix it, or do we abandon it now for something else. My 1060 is back in its box ready to ship back to Amazon. I am considering downgrading to a 760, but now I am considering putting it back in and dealing with the glitch for the better performance. I likely won't upgrade to High Sierra for a long time anyway, so I am thinking about what's going to work best with Sierra for at least another year. The 760 seems to be a better candidate, but then when I do upgrade the OS, chances are the 1060 will be supported. It's quite a pickle.

Since this is the only problem I've found...well, I can live with it knowing that it will be fixed eventually. I rarely sleep my system, and, when I do, the GTX1060-FIX script is easy to execute from the Desktop.

I agree about it being reasonable, the problem isn't that big since it is a quick fix. I asked a question a few posts back that hasn't been answered, maybe you have the answer? Do you know if the fix works if you run the script right away at every wake before the glitch starts to happen? I want to try it, but the GPU is packed up and I have Intel graphics enabled already. There are a few applications that will run scripts on sleep/wake events. If that would allow the fix to run automatically and just make waking take a little longer, it might be good enough for me to keep it.

You seem confident this will be fixed eventually, are you assuming it will be fixed in Sierra, or future OS updates?

I'm not that quick when I wake up the system. However, I work thru the glitching as I know where it is on the Desktop.

Well, the last driver update was May 16. So, I'm confident that it will be fixed in the next driver release. 10.12.6 will probably be released at the end of June so Nvidia will release an updated driver shortly thereafter. But, they could have it in the High Sierra beta driver release when it comes out. So, we're in a "Hurry Up and Wait" state.

Ok, I guess I'll be the guinea pig and install the 1060 again to see if the fix can be automated on wake. There are 3 applications that could do it. Scenario $5, Power Management $50, or Sleepwatcher, a free command line tool. You can assume which one I'll be trying first if the manual test works. I'll report back soon.

I unpacked the 1060 that was ready to be sent back, reinstalled it and tried the quick fix. My suspicion was correct. Using the sleep display fix immediately after waking did not prevent the glitch from happening. Ugh! Now I just have to decide if I want to wait for a fix or replace the GPU.

For some reason, the sleep display fix no longer worked for me after switching to Intel HD 630 and back again to the GTX 1060. Prior to switching to Intel, sleep display worked flawlessly. So I tried the change resolution fix and it seems to work as well as the display sleep ever did. In fact, it is much faster for me. Thanks to morrism for the Applescript, it works perfectly. Only problem is it wouldn't compile without changing to
Code:
quit application "System Preferences"

I saved it as an application and run it on the same hot corner with a free app I found called CornerClick.
http://gschueler.github.io/CornerClick/

I also created a simple AppleScript to do this and binded it to run on a hotkey:

tell application "System Preferences"
--no activate
set current pane to pane "com.apple.preference.displays"
end tell

tell application "System Events"
tell process "System Preferences"
tell window 1
click radio button "Scaled" of radio group 1 of tab group 1
delay 1
select row 2 of table 1 of scroll area 1 of tab group 1
delay 1
select row 1 of table 1 of scroll area 1 of tab group 1
end tell
end tell
end tell

tell application "System Preferences"
quit
end tell

Last edited:
not sure if related, but i'm having another problem besides the one we all got here. My final cut pro does crash and stutter using the evga gtx1060. Could that be a driver issue?
I have a similar problem with DaVinci Resolve (and today it happened with Premiere CC2017). The app hangs, crashes and closes. Sometimes the crash logs me out of my user account. This happens specially when using apps that rely hard on the graphics card (DaVinci with Noise reduction or Premiere with CUDA/OPENCL plugins)

Hoping we see an update soon. I'm looking to go with a gtx 1060 for my build.

Update: it has been a while now since I talked with NVIDIA support and got them to replicate the glitch on their test machines. I am presuming that a driver update should be coming with the release of High Sierra, but I was still curious to know if they would be releasing a driver sooner: I've just become increasingly annoyed by the fact that I have to re-log each time I sit down at my computer. (The hot-corner thing has never worked for me.)

So, I'll what they say about it and will update you all on it ASAP. Again, I'm assuming a new driver will be here for High Sierra, but nothing is for certain. I'm just hoping that they have made progress on this bug fix! (And, BTW, I am running a genuine 2009 Mac Pro with an ASUS GTX 1060 SC 6GB.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back