1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
With inflation running rampant and the economy seemingly headed for a recession, I thought it would a good "deal" to talk about some great freeware/open source software.

Here are some of my favorites (in no particular order):
  • Stats - This is an open source alternative to iStat Menus or Sensei. Perhaps not quite as polished as the commercial alternatives yet, but it's very good and improving regularly.
  • SABnzbd - An awesome open source usenet newsgroup downloader. (Also check out Radarr and Sonarr, companion apps to help automate things.)
  • ngPost - This is, by far, the best app I have ever found to post things to usenet newsgroups.
  • Suspicious Package - This is a pkg inspector. It allows you to inspect what's in a pkg installer before actually launching the installer. It's an extremely useful tool to help you keep your Mac free of malware.
  • Xplist - A cool open source plist editor.
  • BlockBlock - This is an app that helps monitor if anything is being installed in persistent locations. A fantastic app to help keep your Mac malware-free.
  • LuLu - Another great app from Objective-See. This is an excellent firewall.
  • DIM (aka Desktop Icon Manager) - I'm a bit of a stickler and obsessive about where icons are on my desktop and this app will help keep them exactly where you expect them to be.

For some fun and games, here are some awesome emulators:
  • RPCS3 - PS3 emulator.
  • Dolphin - GameCube and Wii emulator.
  • Ryujinx - Nintendo Switch emulator.
  • DuckStation - PS1 emulator.
  • * Honorable mention - AetherSX2 - PS2 emulator. This is a fantastic emulator. Unfortunately, the developer has suspended development.

What are your favorite freeware/open source apps?

Last edited:
With inflation running rampant and the economy seemingly headed for a recession, I thought it would a good "deal" to talk about some great freeware/open source software.

• Stats - This is an open source alternative to iStat Menus or Sensei. Perhaps not quite as polished as the commercial alternatives yet, but it's very good and improving regularly.
  • SABnzbd - An awesome open source usenet newsgroup downloader. (Also check out Radarr and Sonarr, companion apps to help automate things.)
  • ngPost - This is, by far, the best app I have ever found to post things to usenet newsgroups.
  • Suspicious Package - This is a pkg inspector. It allows you to inspect what's in a pkg installer before actually launching the installer. It's an extremely useful tool to help you keep your Mac free of malware.
  • BlockBlock - This is an app that helps monitor if anything is being installed in persistent locations. A fantastic app to help keep your Mac malware-free.
  • DIM (aka Desktop Icon Manager) - I'm a bit of a stickler and obsessive about where icons are on my desktop and this app will help keep them exactly where you expect them to be.

• RPCS3 - PS3 emulator.
  • * Honorable mention - AetherSX2 - PS2 emulator. This is a fantastic emulator. Unfortunately, the developer has suspended development.

I've been really getting into Obsidian. It's a note-taking program that is highly customizable.

Zotero is a reference manager that is originally designed for researchers to catalog peer-reviewed journal articles, but can also be used to store web articles, images and other web-clippings

There's a similar thread to this one here, however extremely dated:

:D

• RPCS3 - PS3 emulator.

I didn't know Ryujinx for MacOS was released.

And like Suspicious Package, good discovery.

I can recommend MacmouseFIX it helps, with secondary buttons, invert the wheel, and a lot of functions.

And the apps from this GUY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back