I mostly resolved it. Everything is rendering through Cuda acceleration now. I ran the security update and got high Sierra to 17G5019. I reset my bios to optimized defaults and followed the Reddit vanilla guide for settings. Now it crashes maybe twice a week and I'm doing roughly a dozen renders...
Did this end up working for you guys? I have the same problem, PluginType is already selected in Acpi but I'm regularly hitting 95+ºC for playing back one track of HD video. Anything else I can try to isolate the problem?
thank you for making this basic rundown! I wanted to add that in my experience (especially on "unsupported" builds) CUDA is more stable than Metal. though on my home build Metal seems to work much much better
I have the same graphics card but I've been experiencing alot of freezes (entire computer frozen, no mouse response, any music/audio plays on a 1 second loop of wherever it was before the freeze) and I figured it was GPU related but I"m not sure. It always happens when i'm exporting/rendering...
quick side note for anyone else reading through this thread. None of this will work if you have built in BT on your mobo. I made the poor decision of getting the aorus gaming wifi z370 and the system was defaulting to the internal BT instead of my dongle(s) or wifi/bt card. I followed this very...
Do we know why this is happening? Like I read on other forums they were having crashes with anything other than metal. But why does it crash the entire computer? Can someone troubleshoot some console crash logs?
I've spent the last few weeks running around tonymac, insanelymac and reddit trying various suggestions but no one has my specific situation so I figured I better start a new thread. AFAIK I've updated all my Kexts and .efi's, everything else works swimmingly (audio, Ethernet, USB, etc.) and...
I underclocked most of my components but no change. I've heard if you have the GTX 1000 series the 18,3 build is way more stable (or 18,2) so I might try that next. I also got rehabman's SMC sensor kexts installed but it doesn't look like anything is overheating???
TitanKing, you'll need to mount your EFI to get to CLOVER. Use something like EFI Mounter v3 then when you mount the partition, go EFI > CLOVER > drivers64UEFI and there should be your old APFS.efi file. Replace it with the correct version and you're good to go!
running High Sierra 10.13.6
32GB DDR4 Ram (2x16GB RipJaw Cards)
Gigabyte Auros Z370 Gaming Wifi Mobo
Using the 318.104.22.168.40.105 Web Drivers for (17G65) build and CUDA 410.130
SMBIOS is iMac14,2 since I heard it was stable-ish (though I had it on iMac18,3 with the...
update, some other suggestions I've tried so far with varying success (only AE is problematic now)
Underclocking your RAM (in BIOS frequency settings use the + and - to change value)
Remove CUDA entirely
set the product ID 19,1 or 14,2
turn off XMP for better stability
same boat! I just found this potential solution. Haven't tried it yet but it's my next step. you have to make an account and download the optix SDK which is where I'm stuck right now. http://www.macvidcards.com/blog/after-effects-hack-to-enable-maxwell-cards
That sucks. I changed the RC6 Render Standby in my BIOS (power management) settings to "disable" and switched my product ID to an 18,3 iMac build (previously 14,2) and it doesn't crash now. Media Encoder still gets hung up and wont export this relatively small project at all but it's less of a...
Thank you so much! This made my system way more stable! I just switched from 14,2 to 18,3 stopped my crash hang up loop whenever I tried an export!
EDIT: still crashes but not as often. Updated the product and vendor ID in configurator and switched back to 14,2 and get occasional crashes now...