Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm very new to all this and in the process of reading through things. I have OsX 10.6.3 from the Apple Store and everything else I need from this site and in terms of hardware EXCEPT a compatible motherboard and CPU (all my on-hand items are AMD, except for my EeePC but apparently I need a running mac to even make a start on trying that).

With price being an important factor, what can you all recommend for CPU and motherboard?

I'd prefer to buy new rather than potentially inheriting someone else's problems.

I don't have access to the large suppliers in North America because I'm in Australia, so my component range my be slightly limited.

TIA! :)

Just another note - I was planning on using the onboard video. I'll be doing some research on this tonight to see if it's even possible. This build will NOT be for gaming! :)

Have a look what I have, everything works OOB, and available down under. At least it is in NZ. The MOBO works perfectly with a i3 processor as well if price is a concern.
On board video doesn't work in a hackintosh. You have to have a video card.
Good luck.

Postage from USA is daylight robbery :(

I couldn't find the board you recommended at a reasonable price (most places have it as out of stock) but i have been able to find the GA-H55M-S2V locally at a fair price. I'll be combining it with the i3 processor. Now all I need to do is pick a low end graphics card (suggestions welcome and appreciated *grin*) and I should be up and running on a hackintosh by Monday.

I realise I have an nVidia 9500GT and ATi 5450. I'll be checking later to see if either of these will work, but if someone knows offhand and can save me the leg work that'd help :) :)

EDIT:
Looks like the 9500GT 1GB is supported, but mine is from a different manufacturer. I'm assuming that as it's the same chipset it should work fine. I'm also considering the Asus GT210 512mb and hoping that because the 1GB version is supported this will be too. Any thoughts?

I have that board with an i3-550 and a Galaxy GeForce 9500GT. It works pretty well and everything's functional. You've got a minor bit of hassle to get the audio working with that board, but it's nothing too difficult or complex.

I went with the i3-540, Gigabyte H55M-S2V, and 2x2GB RAM sticks. I did the following generic installation:

-Added a 120GB SATA drive (system is already running Win7 x64)
-Switched BIOS settings for the hard drives to AHCI **BEFORE** installing windows 7
-Switched BIOS power settings to x64
-Booted with iBoot cdrom
-Switched to 10.6.3 Snow Leopard install media
-Partitioned the drive and formatted it as HFS+journalled
-Installed and rebooted with iBoot
-installed 10.6.6 update
-used multibeast according to caryweaver's guide http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=16338&p=113430#p113430
-rebooted and used f12 to select the boot drive
-selected the inbuilt speakers as the audio device
-installed the tonymacx86-NVIDIA-Update
-rebooted again
-Started up Software Update (and posted here while I'm waiting...I suspect I may have to redo some drivers after 10.6.7???)

Cheers,
Ari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back