i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
So I have the 320GB 4530s. My first part ion is 250GB with lion and the second is 69.73GB with Windows 7. I was using the Lion installation v.3 method and while I was in the installer part from the flash drive before installing I was in disk utility and I was resizing my lion partition but I was going to try something else because it was taking a long time so I cancelled it. and now my lion partition say that I only have like 4GB free and I can't resize the partition. I've tried to repair the disk and I can't :( I tried using iPartition and I can't resize it. What I'm trying to do is resize my lion partition so I can't have a new partition for a fresh install of lion so I will have 2 Lion partitions. Any "iDeas" on how I can fix this?

Ps. I don't know what happened but now I can see the videos on newegg. I could not before.

the3rdknuckles said:
So I have the 320GB 4530s. My first part ion is 250GB with lion and the second is 69.73GB with Windows 7. I was using the Lion installation v.3 method and while I was in the installer part from the flash drive before installing I was in disk utility and I was resizing my lion partition but I was going to try something else because it was taking a long time so I cancelled it. and now my lion partition say that I only have like 4GB free and I can't resize the partition. I've tried to repair the disk and I can't :( I tried using iPartition and I can't resize it. What I'm trying to do is resize my lion partition so I can't have a new partition for a fresh install of lion so I will have 2 Lion partitions. Any "iDeas" on how I can fix this?

Ps. I don't know what happened but now I can see the videos on newegg. I could not before.
Are you trying to preserve what you had before? And I'm confused -- is your Lion install damaged? If it is damaged goods, and you want to preserve it, then I hope you have a backup, as it seems cancelling an operation progress might not have been a good idea.

If you're ok with not preserving what you had, just re-partition and re-install...

I find that gparted in Linux does a pretty good job of moving, copying, and resizing partitions and tend to use it over other solutions. If you end up there, don't forget to run gptsync to keep your hybrid mbr table in sync with your gpt table...

RehabMan said:
the3rdknuckles said:

Are you trying to preserve what you had before? And I'm confused -- is your Lion install damaged? If it is damaged goods, and you want to preserve it, then I hope you have a backup, as it seems cancelling an operation progress might not have been a good idea.

If you're ok with not preserving what you had, just re-partition and re-install...

I find that gparted in Linux does a pretty good job of moving, copying, and resizing partitions and tend to use it over other solutions. If you end up there, don't forget to run gptsync to keep your hybrid mbr table in sync with your gpt table...

Thanks for replying so quickly!!! I'm trying to repartition it, but I am unable to. I would really love to preserve it. I didn't make a back up. When I try to repartition it using disk utility I click on the main hard drive and click the partition drive then i click on the lion partition. The plus and minus buttons are grey :cry:

the3rdknuckles said:
Thanks for replying so quickly!!! I'm trying to repartition it, but I am unable to. I would really love to preserve it. I didn't make a back up. When I try to repartition it using disk utility I click on the main hard drive and click the partition drive then i click on the lion partition. The plus and minus buttons are grey :cry:
I'm going from memory here, but aren't the plus/minus for adding/removing partitions? You will not be able to add any partitions if the disk is already full of partitions, and you won't be able to remove a partition that is currently mounted (I'm assuming you are running Disk Utility from your actual install)... and I'm assuming you don't want to remove it anyway... you want to resize it.

If you boot your Install usb, and use Disk Utility from there, you might have better luck manipulating the partitions because they won't be mounted and in use. You might give that a try.

yeah i guess I forgot to mention that I was trying to add a partition...

So I'm making a new partition on my external hard drive so I can have a separate lion hard drive. Would I be able to copy the one I'm on right now to the external? If I do that will it have the same problem on my external? If I'm able to do that would I be able to copy it back on my laptop and then make a new partition on it so I can have 2 lion partitions and my existing windows partition without messing with the windows partition at all?

the3rdknuckles said:

So I'm making a new partition on my external hard drive so I can have a separate lion hard drive. Would I be able to copy the one I'm on right now to the external? If I do that will it have the same problem on my external? If I'm able to do that would I be able to copy it back on my laptop and then make a new partition on it so I can have 2 lion partitions and my existing windows partition without messing with the windows partition at all?
You should be able to create a new partition provided you make space for it by making one of the existing partitions smaller first. And I would do all such work with the partitions offline, by booting from your install USB (and selecting the Install image from the USB at Chimera boot).

As far as copying partitions around, I noticed there is some stuff in Disk Utility for making images, but I never played with it. You might be able to use that. Or you could try in Linux gparted. It has some capabilities to copy/move/resize partitions, but it may be limited when it comes to Apple HFS+ file system. But you could look at it and try...

RehabMan said:
the3rdknuckles said:

You should be able to create a new partition provided you make space for it by making one of the existing partitions smaller first. And I would do all such work with the partitions offline, by booting from your install USB (and selecting the Install image from the USB at Chimera boot).

As far as copying partitions around, I noticed there is some stuff in Disk Utility for making images, but I never played with it. You might be able to use that. Or you could try in Linux gparted. It has some capabilities to copy/move/resize partitions, but it may be limited when it comes to Apple HFS+ file system. But you could look at it and try...

I booted into the installer from chimera and tried to resize my lion partition with no luck. Just wondering... Can I use timemachine at this point on my laptop and make a back up onto my external and then erase my lion drive on my laptop then install lion onto my hard drive then restore my lion drive from my external and then be able to resize my lion drive on my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back