Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have purchased and already installed Lion on an external USB hard drive. I would like to build the CustoMac Mini and boot from this external drive. I do not want to do a Lion install again. Is it possible to do this? I have looked everywhere on the website and can't seem to find anything that answers the question.

What I am wondering is whether you can install 10.7.2 on a drive first, then apply the tools in this site to make the installation work (e.g. tweak the BIOS, rBoot, etc.). I'd like to do this without copying the installed OS to another drive. Has anyone done this?

This is straight install of Lion - never had any additional files installed, no /Extra folder, no DSDT?

If yes, connect to new hardware, make BIOS changes needed, boot with rboot for Lion, run MultiBeast for Lion, make your selections to match the motherboard, hit install, reboot without rBoot and enjoy your build.

Going Bald said:
This is straight install of Lion - never had any additional files installed, no /Extra folder, no DSDT?

If yes, connect to new hardware, make BIOS changes needed, boot with rboot for Lion, run MultiBeast for Lion, make your selections to match the motherboard, hit install, reboot without rBoot and enjoy your build.

Thanks for replying, Going. Yes, this would be a straight install. I've installed 10.7.2 to an SSD using a USB-SSD cable and my MacBook Pro. I purchased Lion just for this install (so all is legal).

Just to double check your steps:
1) When you say "boot with rboot for Lion" I assume you mean boot from a CD that you've prepared ahead of time?
2) Multibeast on another CD?
3) When you say "hit install" does this mean that Multibeast will try to copy or reinstall Lion back onto the same SSD? Or is that just a formality to tell it to modify the current install?

wizosx said:
Thanks for replying, Going. Yes, this would be a straight install. I've installed 10.7.2 to an SSD using a USB-SSD cable and my MacBook Pro. I purchased Lion just for this install (so all is legal).

Just to double check your steps:
1) When you say "boot with rboot for Lion" I assume you mean boot from a CD that you've prepared ahead of time?
Correct - download the rBoot file from the forum downloads section and burn it to CD. This is same as iBoot, except for Lion.
wizosx said:
2) Multibeast on another CD?
Another CD not required. Download MultiBeast with MBPro and copy to the new drive you just installed to. Could also copy it to a USB flash drive and transfer it that way if you already put your HD in the new build.
wizosx said:
3) When you say "hit install" does this mean that Multibeast will try to copy or reinstall Lion back onto the same SSD? Or is that just a formality to tell it to modify the current install?
No. MultiBeast installs the fakesmc and other kext files you need to get 100% operational. Read the tutorial on http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... -lion.html starting at step 5.

Going, thanks for the info. I assume that I may have some of the same issues that some have had with this system even though I am modifying the OS less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back