Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Has anyone managed to install SL on Thinkpad X220?

I managed to install SL Retail on X220 but am unable to install Multibeast on it and make it bootable?

Graphics is stuck at 1024x768 and have to boot with iboot legacy using PCIRootUID=1

Can anyone help please?

Thanks!

[strike]How did you get it to boot? I can't get even iBoot legacy to boot (or any custom booter I try to make).[/strike]

Seems my external optical disk setup wasn't working, I'm using another drive and another usb adaptor and it loads iBoot... however I'm getting "Still waiting for root device" error, even with PCIRootUID=1.

PCIRootUID=1 -x KPs on pmap_steal_memory. To be frank I wasn't even going to hackintosh this machine in the first place, but seeing how shitty the support is for it in Ubuntu 10.10 I figured if I have to mess around anyway ;)

also I'm using a USB disk with the OSX DVD restored on it, but it shouldn't make a big difference, no?

EDIT: I forgot to mention my specs since they are not in my info... Lenovo x220 Core-i7-2620M, 8GB ram, Intel 320 120GB SDD (Intel 6205 Wifi, which I assume I'd need to replace but that's ok)

Wow, I was just being a noob... I had the external disk plugged in the USB3 port and didn't realize it was not using the built in chipset...

Now I'm having other issues... It appears Chimera won't install on my internal SSD. iBoot Legacy can boot my install just fine (well with no HD graphics and some other things but it boots). I run Multibeast and install chimera, MacbookPro8,1 smbios, minimal boot.plist but no go. It just won't pick up the bootloader. I tried to manually install the bootloader (fdisk and all) to no avail. I don't get this :/

EDIT: I tried a bunch of other methods, tried using the ssd externally with a usb adaptor... nothing does it it just won't load the bootloader :banghead: I don't get this at all, never had any issues getting Chameleon or chimera installed :eek:

Same here. I tried Chimera and a few other methods but none worked too.

Would appreciate some help and advice on this topic.

babyfrump said:
Same here. I tried Chimera and a few other methods but none worked too.

Would appreciate some help and advice on this topic.

Hey,

I just got a X220 and will be loading on SL soon. Maybe I can be of some help here.

For starters, what version of SL (or Lion?) do you recommend I install? Apparently some earlier versions of SL don't have support for the integrated 3000 HD graphics. Looks like some people here have had success with Lion: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256835

A few clarifications:
- I keep reading about something called kext... Do I need to worry about that?
- iBoot and Chimera... Are these related? Looks like iBoot is a wrapper for the installer to run on non-Apple hardware. Is it the best (only?) option for installing on an X220?
- What util should I use for loading the installer image into a USB key? I have access to Mac and Windows machines. Should I use something like UNetbootin on my (Apple-made) Mac?
- What's the best option for WiFi? I have the Intel 6205 chip. Should I swap out that with something that works with osx86, use an ExpressCard, USB, or other? I prefer to keep dangling pokey peripherals to a minimum.
- I've read about some weird install options, e.g. -v or -f (my memory's fuzzy here - too many forum posts). Should I care about those?

Thanks a ton for your time. I hope I can be of help for your questions, too!

Thanks & best,

William

Hey guys,

I'm working on SL on my x220 tablet (i7 620M, sandy) atm and just want to share my experience with you guys.

I did a vanilla install on my internal drive form a usb dvd drive using iBoot cd and SL retail. Install works fine. From here I have two issues I'm trying to solve at the moment. I can confirm that i cannot get chameleon to work on my notebook, tried installing via multibeast and manual installation and tried it on the same partition as OSX and a different one. So basically I'm stuck and have to boot my system with iBoot boot cd everytime.

The second issue is updating to 10.6.8 and getting lion ready. I tried updating using UpdateHelper and the combo update. The update installs fine but after booting again, I get a KP where it dies after loading (or more like _while_ loading) VoodooPS2SynapticsTouchPad.

As it seems, you can boot on x220 with nawcoms bootloader, but that would still leave the update issue.

I think I'll try installing nawcoms to boot and then report back. If you got any suggestions for the update issue pls let me know.

Cheers
Tom

caravaggisto said:
- I keep reading about something called kext... Do I need to worry about that?
You can think of kexts as some sort of drivers. Yes you need to start worrying about them ;) because duplicats can render your system unbootable or stuff like that. But i think if you manage to get a SL vanilla with lion update working with the latest chameleoen, it should wihtout much thinking about kexts.
caravaggisto said:
- iBoot and Chimera... Are these related? Looks like iBoot is a wrapper for the installer to run on non-Apple hardware. Is it the best (only?) option for installing on an X220?
iBoot can load SL setup as well as boot an operating system on your HD. Chameleon is a bootloader that you install on your HD. not quite sure where the difference ist (does chameleon load kexts and iboot doesnt?)
caravaggisto said:
- What util should I use for loading the installer image into a USB key? I have access to Mac and Windows machines. Should I use something like UNetbootin on my (Apple-made) Mac?
http://www.macgurulounge.com/create-sno ... ion-drive/ i think that should work. But i recon just using an external dvd drive is probable the easiest option.
caravaggisto said:
- What's the best option for WiFi? I have the Intel 6205 chip. Should I swap out that with something that works with osx86, use an ExpressCard, USB, or other? I prefer to keep dangling pokey peripherals to a minimum.
Maybe the best option is going for a USB dongle. The internal wireless might not work and I think you might have more issues with a express card since the lates mac books dont have an express card slot anymore.
caravaggisto said:
- I've read about some weird install options, e.g. -v or -f (my memory's fuzzy here - too many forum posts). Should I care about those?
[/quote][/quote]
You should definitely know -v since it sets the kernel to verbose. That means if your kernel dies you get the error msg and can start troubleshooting. You will learn the other flags as you search for solutions to your problems.

Cheers, hope that helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back