Contribute
Register

USB Sound Cards instead of onboard sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay with VOODOOHDA installed via KEXT HELPER B7
I can now see this in System Profiler.

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A102
Audio ID: 885
Available Devices:
External Microphone:
Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack
External Microphone:
Line In:
Headphone:
Speaker:
Line Out:
Line Out:
Line Out:
S/P-DIF Out:
Connection: Combo
S/P-DIF In:

Though when I go to System Preferences / Hardware / Sound
I still can't select a sound output device.

Does VoodooHDA use your DSDT to force the system to load the code in the HDEF section?

Cause if it does, it succeeded in doing so.

This is all without APPLEHDA (10.6.2 combo update) or any LEGACYHDA
I tried having VOODOOHDA in SYSTEM/LIBRARY/EXTENSIONS
& LEGACYHDA 4in2out HD in EXTRAS/EXTENSIONS

Gave me the same details in SYSTEM PROFILER.
Though no sound

The place local to me that listed M-AUDIO TRANSIT on there website didnt have it in stock.

I think its a sign not to spend that amount of money just yet and keep trying.
Or, for the time being while I might go and purchase GRIFFIN iMIC from APPLE STORE tomorrow with ALUMINIUM KEYBOARD inc. NUMERIC PAD for kicks.

I still think the other method is the way to go, it really does work.
I don't know what the problem is in your case, but your audio codec is detected, but for some reason not working. I had some issues with it in the past, but that was because I forgot to copy LegacyHDA.kext to the Extra/Extensions folder.
It must be something simple that's going wrong here, I just can't figure out what, as you got the right information in the system profiler.
Might be worth installing the HDAEnabler.kext now and see what happens.

When you said previously that if I'm going to INSTALL VOODOO to remove the other AUDIO DRIVERS first.

Did you mean remove APPLEHDA from /SYS/LIB/EXT
& LEGACYHDA from /EXTRAS/EXTENSIONS ?

Cause I have done that.

Is there another AUDIO related kext I'm not removing that I should be ?

No, that's the only ones.
I'm just trying to figure out what could be the problem, as I really don't know and this isn't an exact science.
Getting mad at people trying to help doesn't really get you anywhere though...

In both cases you've had the right details listed, but I don't know why you're not getting any sound. Have you tried different jacks?

When I plug in my headphones in the jack on the case I can see the jack switching from line out to headphones, so if you get this, then the audio is working.

I don't know what else to suggest. I'd get rid of voodoohda anyhow and use the method I described earlier as I know that works 100% as I've done it multiple times on my UD4P which uses exactly the same audio codec as your board.

Sorry If I seemed mad at anyone but myself and the situation.
Did not mean to come across that way.

Actually appreciate the reply's more than you would know.

I noticed there are other AUDIO related kexts in the /SYS/LIB/EXT folder.

Removed them but left Voodoo.

Still left me with the correct I/O under AUDIO in SYSTEM PROFILER.
Though didnt enable sound either.

I even included HDENABLER while these other AUDIO kexts were out.
No go there either.

Bout to put the following AUDIO related kexts back where they belong and repair permissions while also removing VooDoo as it was not the path I wanted to take anyway.

These are the other audio related kexts i found and removed temporarily.

AppleFWAudio
AppleUSBAudio
AudioAUUC
AudioIPCDriver
IOAudioFamily
SM56KUSBAudioFamily

Funny thing about removing them is it didn't KERNEL PANIC.
Made me think they were totally useless. I'm guessin they must do something.
Infact I'll probably need the USBAudio related ones in there tomorrow when I pick up the GRIFFIN iMIC.

So yeh.
Putting everything back to VANILLA after COMBO UPDATE
and trying your technique you referenced earlier.

Do any of the above files need to be patched I removed temp need to be patched?
Thanks again and sorry if it seemed I was mad with anyone at all.

UPDATE AFTER DOING THE ABOVE

This is what I have in SYSTEM PROFILER now with VANILLA APPLEHDA, CUSTOM DSDT for UD6 (AZAL to HDEF)

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A102
Audio ID: 885
Available Devices:
S/P-DIF Out:
Connection: Internal
Line Out:
External Microphone:
External Microphone:
Headphone:
S/P-DIF Out:
S/P-DIF In:

As you can see not as many jacks as what VOODOO gave me.
Still no sound though.

Am going to try your steps again now.
Results will be in new reply not this 1

Well, not as far as I know, no.

The SM56KUSBAudioFamily won't be needed, it's for USB dial up modems.

There are multiple version of the HDAenabler as well, did you try the one on tonymac's boot disc as well? They're a bit different, although I don't know exactly what makes them differ, but some work and others don't and it seems to be a little bit random depending on your exact hardware.

A final option would be to try the ALC889a_LayoutID_885.zip from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=140941 although I didn't have to use this driver, but it might be worth a shot since nothing else seems to be working for you.

The default is actually Internal Speakers, not line-out as I said, but when I plug in my headphones to the front case socket this changes automatically to headphones (This only works for the front jack though and not for the line out around the back).

I just checked on my system and all the rear jacks (bar the mic) seems to work as line outs depending on which output you select in the sound settings.

I know your step by step doesnt mention this but..

I use KEXT HELPER B7 to INSTALL HDAENABLER
No problems.

Then after I drag LEGACYHDA to /EXTRA/EXTENSIONS

Do i then drag that folder onto KEXT UTILITY & DRAG /SYS/LIB/EXT onto KEXT UTILITY also. Then repair permissions via DISK UTILITY ?

I find if i don't do that REPAIR PERMISSIONS in DISK UTILITY just states that its starting repair and then states it finishes repair, and no information scrolls through that window.

This might be what I've doing wrong?

Well, in all honesty, I dunno how much the permission repair does here, but I never used the kext utility. I don't know how much that step is needed.

As I said, try the slightly different kexts from insanelymac and see how it goes.

Ok, just for you I followed my own guide to how to install the sound and it worked fine.
I did notice one small mistake, the file from insanelymac should be the ALC889a_LayoutID_885.zip not the other one with a longer file name. The original one still works, but it contains lots more files and doesn't quite make the instructions as clear.
Just one thing, I take it you have an AppleHDA.kext in the system/extensions folder, right? As well as the HDAenabler.kext. If not, then try this one http://dl.dropbox.com/u/911286/AppleHDA.kext.zip

It didn't work.

Mate i appreciate all the help you have given over the past 24 hours.

I just got back from the Apple store and as I type on my new wired APPLE keyboard with NUMBER PAD i am a happy man. Not because of the keyboard as such but because i also picked up that Griffin iMic for $39.95 as no one seemed to have the M-Audio Transit USB device in stock.

So I have sound, even if it is only 2 channel atm.

I have come to the conclusion that the DSDT for the UD6 is out of wack.
Can't provide a reason for my theory except to say that during load I get a few errors from APPLEHDA.

How do I go about logging the boot up so I can see exactly what the error is referring to ?
I tried googling it and it said something about USR folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back