GTX 760
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Is there any good reason to run a 64bit kernel over a 32 bit kernel other than bragging rights? I see many good reasons for 32bit such as Paragon NTFS works in 32 bit mode. Also several 3rd party pref panes are 32 bit only and system prefs has to restart every time I select one. My 3rd party wireless adapter has drivers only for 32 bit OSX. There are probably other reasons as well. Since real Macs are 32/64 hybrids is there really a good reason?

"A. You don't HAVE to know about 64 bit. For most users of OS X, it won't matter.

The Application delivery mechanism for future OSX Snow Leopard apps will still be Universal Binary, which will include BOTH 32bit and 64bit code if available.

The default SL kernel is 32 bit which is more compatible. Note that the Snow Leopard 32 bit kernel can still run 64 bit processes that allows access to more memory, useful for some power users.

The only reason you have to know about 32bit or 64bit is if you are running windows.

With Windows there is a 4GB total memory limit with 32 bit windows. Mac OS is different. Even Macs running Leopard can contain and use far more RAM than the 4 GB limit the "32-bit" qualifier might seem to imply.

Yes, 64-bit kernel (K64) allows use of a very large number of RAM, 16 exabytes to be exactly, but do you have any apps that need more than a few GB of RAM?

With Windows you need to download a different version of the app / program / driver for different version of windows os. On Mac OS, you download 1 Universal Binary which will work on all 32bit and 64bit (if available) installs for that Mac OS.

Yes you are suppose to get higher benchmarks on certain artificial test for running K64, but in daily use you won't notice a difference for almost most users do on Mac OS X.

2. Why isn't my Mac booting a 64 bit kernel.

A. The default behavior of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard client is to boot into the 32 bit kernel. Servers on the right hardware defaults to K64.

Booting into 32 bit kernel for OS X client is to ensure maximum compatibility. Until every single app and driver are updated to 64 bit, most people should run the 32 bit kernel, as many older apps / drivers are 32 bit.

The Snow Leopard 32 bit kernel can create 32bit and 64 bit processes. Even 32 bit Mac OS can use high amount of system RAM, and allocate more RAM than 32 bit windows. So with Snow Leopard, you have compatibility of 32 bit kernel and performance of 64 bit processes.

Windows 32 bit is severely limited. 32 bit windows cannot do anything with 64bit and its RAM allocation is restricted. Note even for gamers who would benefit the most with 64bit windows, only about 30% of the high end windows market is running full 64bit.

Windows NEED full 64bit because the 32bit windows is very limited. Mac OS X is different, with 32bit kernel capable of launching 64bit processes.
"

I think that sums it up :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=783948

but but but… there is an advantage of running 32-bit if you need to use 32-bit kexts. and why does chameleon make boot up slower in 32-bit mode?

32-bit loads up way faster via chameleon and on my macbook pro!

Assuming you don't verbose, how many circles? lol 32 = about 7 64 = 20ish
I just put my processor back to stock and its still about the same. Do you have the P55 or P55A version? Just curious :)

i count the circles too :p. hmm its 17 for 64-bit and almost 30 for 32-bit. you get 7 :O

i have P55 with the Agere 1.1.8 boot and Chameleon 10.5 Rc4 and a Seagate 7200.12 thats hardly full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back