Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
apple logo and spinning wheel continues indefinately or I get the "You need to shut down and restart your computer...etc" message in the gray box with apple logo

(UPDATE 11/29/10: This problem was apparently due to the Radeon 4870 card I was trying to use.. If trying to use a card in that series expect to have similar issues I resolved my problem by replacing the card with a 5770 if it's within your means stop wasting time with the 4xxx and exchange it. I bought this http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0328873 )

Hello Everyone,
Firstly I'd like to thank Tonymac, and all of the members contributing to this project, and secondly I'd like to appologise for creating a new topic since there are already so many threads here that it is difficult to find the information that one needs. That said I am at my whits end trying to get past what seems to be a very early step in the process of getting my machine running and after reading through probably 100 threads I feel like I am falling deeper into the rabbit hole.

Here is what I have done:

I first attempted to install using Kakewalklegacy.iso per the instructions given at this site ->(except that I had to use imgburn on my other windows machine) http://nofilmschool.com/build-a-hackint ... -x-part-1/
I then decided to try iboot here ->
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -x-on.html
for some reason that i don't recall the first version I burned to disc was the legacy I have since used the main version and the iboot-ge versions with the same result.

Here is whats happening:
I get to the iboot screen, eject iboot disc put in the OSX 10.6.3 retail disc wait for a sec press f5 then wait for the name of the disc icon to pop up then I either press enter or type -x then press enter.(As a side note there is also a windows icon that pops up next to the iboot/mac disc icons, no idea why, the hard disks are brand new??)

After I press enter I see one of two things either a gray screen or it skips the gray screen and goes straight to the white screen with apple logo and spinning wheel after a while of this the monitor will turn off and wont come back on,

or I get the "You need to shut down and restart your computer...etc" message in the gray box with apple logo(this is a kernal panic?),

or the white screen with apple logo and spinning wheel continues indefinately(I have waited for upto an hour with no change)

Over the last four days since I got my machine assembled I have tried numerous slight variations in the bios but have most strictly adhered to the bios pictures on tonymacs iboot+multibeast page, I have also disconnected everything except the main SSD, the Disc drive, the video card, 4gigs of ram, the fans/cooling pump, & the front panel led/reset & pwr switches. I even replaced the LG super multi drive with a Gear Head Triple formet drive http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/6 ... VD-Triple/ since the lg was very noisey and I wondered if it might have not been reading th mac disc but the gear head drive though not as noisey behaves in much the same way. I hope this information is useful in helping me solve my problems and doesn't become yet another long post that someone with a different problem is stuck reading. I have attached a couple pics and will post more below.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Attachments

• Apple hate v2.JPG
    Apple hate v2.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 222
  • Apple Hate v1.JPG
    Apple Hate v1.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 214
  • iBoot.JPG
    iBoot.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 211
Additional Pics.

Attachments

• 1st Boot.JPG
    1st Boot.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 195
  • HDD Boot Priority.JPG
    HDD Boot Priority.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 185
  • Adv Bios.JPG
    Adv Bios.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 218
More Pics. Thanks MacMan for the quick reply, I do not have another video card, and I have tried -x. Do you think the Video card is the problem?

Attachments

• BIOS.JPG
    BIOS.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 224
  • PWR MGMT.JPG
    PWR MGMT.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 197
  • Integ Periph.JPG
    Integ Periph.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 214
Yeah? :oops: I was going to get a different card but the guy at Microcenter said he uses the one I got in his CustoMac & the one I was about to buy was made by BFG and they went out of buisiness...
Given my system setup what would be a budget conscience but stable alternative that would likely be available at a retail store?

Thanks again.

Boot verbose -v, so we can see what's going on ...or not going on.
Also, don't know what version of iBoot you have, but you may need to specify the graphics PCI root, like:
PCIRootUID=1 -v

adding -v for verbose, can add -x also if not working w/o it.

Attachments

• Bluetooth Test Fixture v2 Back.jpg
    Bluetooth Test Fixture v2 Back.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 128
Hmm.. Havn't left for the store yet I put the card back in and boot -v from the iboot screen. I don't really understand what all this stuff means or how to do what you said.. "PCIRootUID=1 -v" do I type that before hitting enter in iboot? Did I mention this is my 1st computer build? :think: I tried taking pictures of the parts of the screen that looked helpful, something about Windows?? again?? I'm starting to wonder if the SSD I bought was a return or something... Also said something about Radeon Graphics...

This forum is awesome, 4 replies in less than as many hours Thank you.

Attachments

• SAM_0291.JPG
    SAM_0291.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 185
  • SAM_0292.JPG
    SAM_0292.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 168
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back