XFX Ati RadeonHD 4890 1Gb
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everybody

I've been looking round this forum, as well as others, and are not able to find my answers, so hope you could help me.

I want to try the iBoot installation on my pc, for Snow Leopard, and then upgrade to Lion furtheron.

I've previously run an hackint0sh Leopard install with my old GFX which was a Radeon HD 2600 Pro without any problems, but I guess that was due to the hacked kernel and IDE kexts.

My rig is:

ASUA P5Q SE
Core2Duo E8400
2 gb Corsair 133
XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 1 Gb
2 x PATA (IDE) HDD
1 x PATA (IDE) Phillips DVD burner drive

Would this work, or do I need to replaced both the DVD as well as buy an ATA HDD?

If so, which ones are confirmed working on this install??

Hope to get some good advice, and again, sorry for my n00b questions.

tonnybukdahl said:
Hi everybody

I've been looking round this forum, as well as others, and are not able to find my answers, so hope you could help me.

I want to try the iBoot installation on my pc, for Snow Leopard, and then upgrade to Lion further on.

I've previously run an hackintosh Leopard install with my old GFX which was a Radeon HD 2600 Pro without any problems, but I guess that was due to the hacked kernel and IDE kexts.

Welcome to this site.

Yes, I would guess that without the hacked kernel and those kexts you would not be able to run Leopard.

tonnybukdahl said:
My rig is:

ASUS P5Q SE
Core2Duo E8400
2 gb Corsair 133
XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 1 Gb
2 x SATA (IDE) HDD
1 x SATA (IDE) Phillips DVD burner drive

Would this work, or do I need to replaced both the DVD as well as buy an ATA HDD?

If so, which ones are confirmed working on this install??

Hope to get some good advice, and again, sorry for my n00b questions.

Not sure about the motherboard, but I believe it should work. Your video card may have a problem though. SATA hard disks and DVD drives are fine, although here we generally recommend using a Sony Optiarc DVD drive such as the AD-7260S.

Do you have the Snow Leopard retail DVD? Do not use a DVD that comes with a real Mac as that will not work.

You'd have to enable AHCI in the BIOS if your drives are currently set to IDE mode, but this will mess up Windows. There's a thread or two here about how to work around this problem.

Jamesbond007 said:
tonnybukdahl said:
Not sure about the motherboard, but I believe it should work. Your video card may have a problem though. SATA hard disks and DVD drives are fine, although here we generally recommend using a Sony Optiarc DVD drive such as the AD-7260S.

Do you have the Snow Leopard retail DVD? Do not use a DVD that comes with a real Mac as that will not work.

So if I understand it right, my IDE HDD's would work fine, and maybe my DVD as well?
Only problem might be the Radeon HD 4890, true?

I think I've read somewhere it should be possible to get the 4890 to work, but, if not, I will replace the GFX. However, would it be possible to boot with -x to safemode, then?

I have the retail DVD for SN 6.3.

Regarding Windows, I don't care messing up my Windows installation, since OSX would be my primary, and only system for the time being.

I intend on making a working install of OSX, and then use some sort of software to clone my install once it works, to make it easier to re-install in case of breakdown.

eventually down the line I then want to run dualboot, but my nr 1 priority is to make OSX run on my rig !

tonnybukdahl said:
So if I understand it right, my IDE HDD's would work fine, and maybe my DVD as well?
Only problem might be the Radeon HD 4890, true?

I think I've read somewhere it should be possible to get the 4890 to work, but, if not, I will replace the GFX. However, would it be possible to boot with -x to safemode, then?

I have the retail DVD for SN 6.3.

Regarding Windows, I don't care messing up my Windows installation, since OSX would be my primary, and only system for the time being.

I intend on making a working install of OSX, and then use some sort of software to clone my install once it works, to make it easier to re-install in case of breakdown.

eventually down the line I then want to run dualboot, but my nr 1 priority is to make OSX run on my rig !

Oh, so your drives are PATA and not SATA? I believe PATA hard drives should work, but I am not so sure about PATA DVD drives. It is best to use SATA drives though.

You can go ahead and try to install Snow Leopard, but if it does not work you may need to replace some components, most probably starting with your graphics card.

Jamesbond007 said:
Oh, so your drives are PATA and not SATA? I believe PATA hard drives should work, but I am not so sure about PATA DVD drives. It is best to use SATA drives though.

You can go ahead and try to install Snow Leopard, but if it does not work you may need to replace some components, most probably starting with your graphics card.

My bad - yeah, both my drives are PATA, I changed the original post to show PATA, instead.

However, it should still work though !?!

Well, if I replace the drives to SATA drives, would it be possible to use -x, or is it not possible to boot -x regardless of GFX, if the GFX isn't supported?

Extra question, if I were to replace the GFX, would it work with my old Radeon HD 2600 Pro (worked on Leopard with a kext from the distro)?

And if I were to buy a new SATA HDD - which would you guys recommend?
SATA100, SATA133 etc.

PATA optical drivers are not supported and I don't think PATA hard drives are supported either, at least not without additional drivers, so you won't be able to install the OS on them.

Easiest way around it is to get a PATA to SATA adapter, although it's not that much more getting a new drive...

You'll need to get a SATA 3Gbps drive for that board, as SATA 6Gbps wouldn't get you any performance increase.

That said, considering that motherboard only has a single IDE/PATA connector, it can only accept two PATA drives and it's very likely that at least one of your drive, if not both of them are SATA, even though they might be running in IDE mode in the BIOS, which as I mentioned before need to be set to AHCI for OS X to work.

So, if I bought this DVD burner drive, I would be in the safe zone?

http://www.proshop.dk/DVD-Blu-Ray-Drev/Sony-NEC-Optiarc-AD-7260S-0B-Black-SATA-2221864.html

As far as the HDD's I actually think I have at least one SATA drive connected - will check tonight after work.

So, then it's just the GFX - is it possible to make my GFX work in a vanilla install?
Perhaps boot with -x untill I can get it to work?

Or perhaps replace it with my old Radeon HD 2600 PRO ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back