Graphics
i
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So, I recently bought my g5 case to mod.. I have a gateway fx from 2009 and I'm simply taking the parts from that case (new graphics card, as old one broke) and putting it into the g5. I've been reading a lot and a lot of people seem to go the mobo tray and harddrive case route, for simplicity's sake. I'm trying to save money and I was wondering if it is possible to put in the motherboard without a mount. I personally don't care how the inside of the case looks, I just want my components to be stable, safe, and working. What is the best route I can take? I've seen a lot of mods but none of them really seem to fit with the whole "cheapest route I can take". I'm willing to try and of course if it fails I can just buy a mobo mount. But I'd really just like to try to use what I'm given.

Of course I already understand I'm going to have to cut out part of the back of the case because of the motherboard. But honestly my components in my current case fit in such a tight area there has to be a way to make this work. Could I even use the harddrive case and mount from my other case if I need to?

Also my desktop came with the parts and I gave them to a friend. He wants to know what he can do about the power switches (as do I). I would also like to know how you guys got the CD drive to work because it seems difficult to have the drivers match up to open up the little metal thing and make the drive come out. I'm a little dumbfounded. I'll continue to search but so far I haven't found much. Thanks!

I'm actually planning on just taking my current case with its mounts and soldering it to the mac case now. It should make things so much easier with minimal work. It would be just the same as buying a new mobo mount I believe. I don't see the difference, except you don't have to solder the mountain mod mobo mount I don't believe? Either way, it's work so might as well work with the parts I have. The screws are all in place and I would only have to take out the mobo for a second and put it right back where it was. I don't see why other people don't do this. Is there something wrong with it?

I did a lot of work on it this weekend! I've stripped the g5 down and that took a long time itself.. Then I stripped my old case down! But I have the cd drive from my PC in place in the new mac. It's a start! I just took the little feet off the old optical drive from the g5 and stuck it back where the optical drive went. Seems to work perfectly.

For cheap sake, I would try to use as much of the stock G5 parts as possible.
- remove G5 power supply and put yours on the G5 floor near the front.
- using the original mobo G5 standoffs and glue them to the side, lined up with the rear slots.
- leave the optical drive where it is.
- put a cut out in the back so you can reach your ports
- using the wires from your old case, just hook up the power switch and LED on the G5 front panel
- put your hard drive on the floor near the rear of the G5

Then as money permits, slowly improve your case, one small project at a time.

Front Fans
Drive Cage
Motherboard Tray
Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back