Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am having issues installing 10.6.8. In order for the installation to complete w/o a KP i have to remove ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns. Once I do that the system will update fine, I run the current MB and it will fail. From there I can reboot into the OS in safemode and rerun MB successfully. However this does not yield a bootable system. I have tried rerunning MB successfully as well as reinstalling the 10.6.8 update to no avail (I have done this repetitively with several clean installs). After installing 10.6.8 and MB the only way I can boot into my system is with '-x -v GraphicsEnabler=No'. If i just use GraphicsEnabler=No the system will eventually boot after a couple minutes to distorted video.

The only thing I saw that appeared to be an issue while booting in verbose was a warning that no NVIDIA adapter was installed. I have reset CMOS and reentered the proper BIOS Settings as well as restored my board to the f4 bios in hopes of stumbling upon a fix.

I am currently back to running 10.6.7, as I have no problems installing that update with MB and BridgeHelper. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Guide: GA-P67A-UD3-B3 with ATI 5870 – 10.6.8 – All Vanilla

Dr_Oh said:
I am having issues installing 10.6.8. In order for the installation to complete w/o a KP i have to remove ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns. Once I do that the system will update fine, I run the current MB and it will fail. From there I can reboot into the OS in safemode and rerun MB successfully. However this does not yield a bootable system. I have tried rerunning MB successfully as well as reinstalling the 10.6.8 update to no avail (I have done this repetitively with several clean installs). After installing 10.6.8 and MB the only way I can boot into my system is with '-x -v GraphicsEnabler=No'. If i just use GraphicsEnabler=No the system will eventually boot after a couple minutes to distorted video.

The only thing I saw that appeared to be an issue while booting in verbose was a warning that no NVIDIA adapter was installed. I have reset CMOS and reentered the proper BIOS Settings as well as restored my board to the f4 bios in hopes of stumbling upon a fix.

I am currently back to running 10.6.7, as I have no problems installing that update with MB and BridgeHelper. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

The ATI drivers were updated in 10.6.8 and many XFX users are reporting problems with their 5770's. To fix this, backup the ATI5000Controller.kext, then install 10.6.8, boot into safe mode, and put the 10.6.7 ATI Kext back.

Gordo74 said:
The ATI drivers were updated in 10.6.8 and many XFX users are reporting problems with their 5770's. To fix this, backup the ATI5000Controller.kext, then install 10.6.8, boot into safe mode, and put the 10.6.7 ATI Kext back.

Was just reading up in the official 10.6.8 update forum and that is gonna be what I will be doing later today. Thanks for the reply!

Well, quasi-sucessfully updated to 10.6.8 with the ati5000 kext from 10.6.7. Machine boots successfully however no displays are detected so I am running headless atm. I am scouring the Forums for more info. Any Advice?

tasc said:
Did you get all 23 ATI kexts from 10.6.7? Rolling back all those ATI kexts from 10.6.8 to 10.6.7 fixed my XFX 5770 startup issue.

There were 25 ATI kexts in my 10.6.7 extensions folder in total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back