Graphics
GV-R685OC-1GD
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
This is my first Hack Build and I am a little lost. Any help would be very appreciated.

Here is my setup:
i7 2600k
Gigaybte GA-z68x-UD3H-B3
Gigabyte GV-R687OC-1GD
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (4x4GB)
OCZ Vertex 3 - 120 GB (x2)
WD Caviar Black - 2TB (x2)
Sony Optiarc

I came home from work today and woke my new hack from sleep with the connected USB keyboard. I worked on it for about 2 minutes and the screen went black. I was unable to do anything but the computer was still running. I shut down in hopes that I could just boot back in. Unfortunately, now I can not even get the BIOS Splash screen to show.

Steps I have taken thus far:
I installed Lion on one OCZ drive (no issues)
I installed Windows on the other OCZ drive (no issues)
Set my (2) WD Drives as storage drives (no issues)
Installed Parallels (no issues)
Today's plan was to transfer data off of my FreeNAS box so I could retire it. And then set up my new webcam, bluetooth keyboard and mouse, close up the system and begin customizing. I used this site (http://icomputernrd.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... ssues.html) to enable access into FreeNAS through AFP with the intent of disabling "DHCAST128" once my data was transferred.

A couple of things that I have done to solve this so far:
Verified my monitor is working (yes)
Unplugged graphics card and tried to use the onboard graphics - both DVI and VGA (still a black screen and no splash screen)
Unplugged all drives except for the Lion install (no luck)
Turned all power off, unplugged and cleared CMOS (no luck)
Turned it off and came back 20 mins later (no luck)

I am not sure what to do from here or what has happened. Did my motherboard die? Did my graphics card and on board graphics get fried? Any thoughts? What should my next steps be?

Please keep in mind that I am a noob at this sort of thing so bear with me if I have done something stupid.

Thanks for your help!

If you get nothing from either the onboard or discrete GPU then the issue might point @ motherboard.

What are the LED phase lights telling you when you boot up? The manual should tell you what they all mean and if things appear ok.

When I turn on the computer the phase LEDs come on red, yellow, green, green (top to bottom). After about 30 seconds the phase LEDs turn off.

drinx said:
When I turn on the computer the phase LEDs come on red, yellow, green, green (top to bottom). After about 30 seconds the phase LEDs turn off.

I just my system build with the GA-Z68XP-UD3 and I haven't had luck any luck getting into the bios either. I also get the "red, yellow, green, green" Phase lights. I called the GB tech support and he said those lights just mean its running off "full" power, whatever that means. And he suggested I take out my AMD Radeon HD 6870 and use the unboard HDMI graphics. But sadly I dont have a monitor/tv available with HDMI. Please let me know if you found a solution.

try the power lines on your psu distribute your components partly different.
first step remove all Harddrives from PSU and check if you can go to Bios.
if so go step by step forward.
if no your Graphics get not enough power or your board has an issue.

Thank you for your replies. I am still looking for a solution.

Here is what I have for my PSU - OCZ ZX Series 850W
Could I really not have enough power to drive things?
I do have an upgrade for my CPU can as well that I did not mention - Cooler Master V6GT

I have pulled everything from my case except the necessities. The only drive is my SSD with the OS on it. I have tried using different slots for the power in my PSU.

I think I am down to it being a PSU issue or a motherboard issue. I purchased my motherboard through Micro Center and am taking it in today for them to run diagnostics on it. I will keep this post updated with the results.

Thanks!

I had the same problem with my first hackintosh on a Gigabyte board.
good luck!

OK, couldn't get into Micro Center for Diagnostics, however, since I purchased the warranty on the motherboard, they gave me a new one. Pretty cool actually.

Got my motherboard installed and everything was great. For some reason the Windows drive had to be re-installed but got it back up and working. I started to try and get Parallels to work and as it was creating a new Virtual Machine, the same black screen problem. I now can not get into the BIOS splash screen . . . again!

I am now back to square one. Did I indeed fry a second motherboard? Or is it this parallels program? How do I force myself into the BIOS or install to another drive? Again, no graphics through card or motherboard. Is something else going wrong that is causing an issue to the motherboard? PSU maybe?

As much as I would like to have Parallels working, it is not worth this. I can just dual boot for my needs. But I so desperately want to get my hack up and running.

Thanks for any advice, direction, etc!

I have been at this for a bit now and have been getting help from Micro Center on analyzing my hardware.

I am now moving to my 3rd motherboard, the diagnostics showed that the controller for the motherboard was faulty. Since I was having the same issue with my previous motherboards, could there be something that is messing with the motherboards controller? Or am I the lucky one that got (2) faulty motherboards? The tech also said that he was having issues accessing both of my spin drives and one of my SSD drives. I am not sure which one (Lion or Windows) and he was only performing a hardware diagnostic analysis (no software). I am a total noob and at this point am a little afraid to get this thing going again.

From my analysis of the situation, I get Lion and Windows up an running. One each on its own SSD drive. When I go to install parallels on the Lion drive, my screen goes black when trying to access Windows. I do not need Parallels as I can just dual boot although it would be a cool feature. However, it seems as though this is my wildcard and I do not need it. Thoughts anyone?

My other concern though is the failure to access the drives. I am not sure how diagnostics are run and what they look at, but I am sort of at a total loss.

Thanks for any help, advice, or direction

drinx

Running Parallels Desktop for Mac is not possible on a Hackintosh as this program makes what we used to call "BIOS" calls to the actuall DSDT file /bios that apple uses on a retail MacPro -

As all of use w hackintosh's have either no DSDT file or imcomplete one's this is not reccomended as a whole - just dual boot you system and put that software on eBAY for sale

What happend to the motherboards was that your BIOS was modded by assembly code from that program and hose'd it - also may have fried a chip if the diagnostics are accurate but not likely - the MB's needed a BIOS reset or a recovery BIOS procedure inorder to get video to work!
Totenkopf4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back