NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all,

I had a thread awhile ago where I talked about whether waiting for the x79 chipset versus the Z68. I decided based on the compatibility of currently available chipsets, etc. its probably a safer bet to just go for a Z68 board. Anyway below is everything in my Newegg cart. I complied this list for a number of sources, including a number of posts on the tonymacx86 blog, as well as a number of threads here.

I work with a number of highly graphical software. Mostly, Google Sketchup, it having a Mac counterpart, this is kinda why I want to build a desktop. I currently have a last generation MBP (provided by work). It sports a 2.5GHz i5 and has 8Gb of 1067Mhz DDR3 RAM. Its geekbench score is roughly 5000. After doing my research, I believe with the components below, I should be able to get at least 15000. Anyway, if you could look through these parts, and give me your thoughts... If theres a more powerful component available for a bit more, let me know. For example, I'm not paying another $60 for a i7-2700K when a 2600K will be absolutely fine. I plan on buying all this on "Cyber Monday" to get the best newegg deals possible :D

SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-222AB
Basic CD/DVD burner... I'm no blu ray guy, so this is fine

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
For $150 this better be worth it. This is strickly for files, but 7200RPM and SATA III should be good.

GIGABYTE GV-R687OC-1GD Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
One of the most expensive cards listed on that blog post. I'm not dropping $1K on a card, so this should work

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
Just changed form a 750 to a 650w... Its not modular like I wanted, but its all inside a case anyway... $60 after rebates

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9
$75 for these, I would have bought the $60 set, but these say they are the "Only qualified 1.5V XMP RAM on Intel Core i3/i5/i7" and got better reviews on newegg.

GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
I've read this is one of the most compatible boards out there and is well capable of everything I need.

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Speaks for itself... I do think I may need an aftermarket cooler if I want to OC though.

Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F90GB3-BK 2.5" 90GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive
This is strictly for the OS and applications... $100 after a rebate so its a good deal, or at least I think.

Next, I do have a shelled Mac G5 case, and I really want to implement all the components into it. I have read eelhead's thread about 100x and I still have questions.

If I buy this motherboard try (which is the one I think eelhead was referring to)
http://www.mountainmods.com/mountain-mods-modular-removable-motherboard-tray-p-56.html

IMG_4909.jpg

...will it look like this picture on the back? Or will it need to be cut to not cover the latching mechanism thing? Also, do you need to buy your own hex screws/bolts to attach the case or are those included? If you could point me in that direction, I'd be grateful.

Next, how do I mount that board to the case? I haven't removed any standoffs from the case yet, so I don't know what to do...

Also, has anyone found a way to mount SSD's more effectively? They are 2.5" vs 3.5" so they won't fit in the cattie without an adapter thing, which I don't want to have to buy.

Whew. That was a lot of questions. Cheers for any help you guys can give. :)

Bump.

Cyber Monday is in two days!

Thanks for the response Gordo, I actually have referenced your thread a number of times when I put together my list of components there.

Anyway, thanks for that advice, but just two more..

Do I need to buy your own hex screws/bolts to attach the case or are those included?

And if the mobo tray doesn't need to be cut, how do I mount that board to the case? That referring to the standoffs and such, obviously the back will have to be cut out, but thats fairly obvious. I haven't removed any standoffs from the case yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back