i7-980
Graphics
ATI Radeon HD5770, 1024mb
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm new here at this forum so don't shut me if this question was asked before (I've used the search function without luck).

I have an old Powermac G5 and I really need an update. I'm running Logic Pro 9 but its not supported any more for the old G5 so I'm stocked at ground zero.
I was looking for some alternative to the Mac Pro and found this place. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Okay back to the topic. I have studied the Mac Pro set-up and found that the newest CPU in there computers is the XEON E55*0 processor.

Has anyone been lucky building an Hackintosh with 2x Xeon processors?

Cheers
Søren - DK

niehans said:
I'm new here at this forum so don't shut me if this question was asked before (I've used the search function without luck).

I have an old Powermac G5 and I really need an update. I'm running Logic Pro 9 but its not supported any more for the old G5 so I'm stocked at ground zero.
I was looking for some alternative to the Mac Pro and found this place. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Okay back to the topic. I have studied the Mac Pro set-up and found that the newest CPU in there computers is the XEON E55*0 processor.

Has anyone been lucky building an Hackintosh with 2x Xeon processors?

Cheers
Søren - DK
I remember one person building one using a server motherboard. I think the hardware cost was the same as a Mac Pro or maybe more based on their actual configuration. I think they did it just to prove that it could be done.

The best bang for you money would be to build a system around the
Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz Six-Core Desktop LGA 1366 Processor. To build a Mac Pro that might beat it performance wise would cost over $6000 US. Probably 2x the cost of building your own.

why get a XEON? why not just buy a high end i7?

i7 CPUs are unable to do multiple CPU configurations. You have to use the Xeon Server Processors if you plan on using multiple CPUs. I do not completely understand the technical side of things but two i7 processors together wont work. That is why the new Evga SR-2 which has two cpu's says it is only usable for Xeon Server CPUs. If you are interested in more search for that mother board and plenty of people will explain why. Also if you where to do this on windows you would have to use Windows Professional as Windows Home Premium is unable to handle multiple CPUs. I am not sure about Snow Leopard but I would imagine that any version would be able to handle it as multiple CPU designs on the Mac Pro have been around for a few iterations of Snow Leopard. Thanks.

But the question in this case is. What would be fastest for music productions, the i7 or two Xeon? and next, is it possible making a simpel installing of OSX with e.g. the EVGA SR-2 motherboard?

Cheers
Søren

Dual Xeon would be faster then a single i7 six core as you can get a 6core Xeon at 3.33 that is the exact same as the i7 six core but a Xeon so you can use multiple CPUs. That is all assuming the applications you are using can are multithread. For most games at this point in time they are able to use at most 4 threads so it wont do much anything in gaming performance. For a program like Final Cut Pro, Adobe anything those being multi thread applications you would see a significant boost. The biggest difference would be price where the i7 six core is around 1000 USB Dollars. A single Xeon 3.33 six core would run you 1800. So your looking a base price of 4200 (Two Xeon + EVGA).

On installing Snow Leopard. I would imagine it would be possible. I have seen different people have success with out to much trouble with other EVGA boards. Hoever you would have to have patience and ask questions in the forums to get it working correctly.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back