Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
This is my method for getting the EVGA x58 SLI board working with a fresh Lion 10.7.2 install. I'm sure certain steps can be altered, I am simply describing how I accomplished this. Any suggestions are welcome and I will try to monitor / update this post as necessary.

================
Files / tools you will need:

1. Retail Lion 10.7.2 USB stick (I created mine using this tutorial, and had xmove put everything onto the USB stick instead of another partition. You will need another mac or current hackintosh for this step.
2. rboot and MultiBeast 4.0.3 from here.
3. Airwalk's DSDT.
4. The following kexts:
---a. AHCIPortInjector
---b. AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler
---c. fakesmc
---d. IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
---e. IONetworkingFamily
---f. JMicronATA
---g. Legacy889HDA (only if you use onboard sound)
---h. NullCPUPowerManagement
---i. OpenHaltRestart
---j. PlatformUUID

========
BIOS settings:

Sata Mode: AHCI
JMB362 Sata Controller: Enabled
JMB363 Sata/Pata Controller: Enabled
JMB363 Mode: AHCI
JMB362 Mode: AHCI
ACPI Suspend: S3
Run VGA Bios if S3 Resume: No
Soft-Off by PWRBUTTON: Instant off
Wake up by PCI card: Disable
USBKB Wakeup from S3: Enabled
PWRON after pwr failure: On
Integrated sound: Disabled (optional)
Ethernet: I only enabled the one I was using. I see no reason to enable the 2nd one and risk conflicts if you know you won't use it. Number 1 is the top Ethernet port on the back of your motherboard.

SAVE THESE TO A PROFILE IN YOUR BIOS. You will need them. If your BIOS resets after the install or first couple of boots, simply get into your BIOS and load this profile. The easiest way to know it has reset is watch your BIOS post. Once it shows your ram speed it should immediately jump to another screen (showing drives hooked to the JMicron controller). If you see your hard drive(s) listed under your ram speed, start hitting the DEL key until you get into the BIOS and reload the profile. If the profile is loaded correctly, you should not see your hard drives under your ram speed on the post screen.

=================
Disconnect additional items:
All you need hooked up is the hard drive you plan to install Lion to, no more than 4Gb of ram, keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Unhook any additional USB devices and drives until your install is completed.

============
Installation method:

1. Start pc and put rboot in your DVD drive and Lion USB drive into a USB port.
Start hitting ESC to load temporary boot order and select the drive rboot is in. If you don't catch it, just hit "reset button" and when BIOS is posting, start hitting ESC.

2. Once rboot is loaded, select your Lion USB drive.

3. When you get to the Lion installation screen, go to Utilites / Disk Utility and set up your hard drive for Lion installation using Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and name it whatever you want. I recommend also creating a 10GB partition using Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and calling it "OSX Safe". I will explain later.

4. Quit disk utility once you have partitions set up the way you want, and continue installation of OSX Lion.

5. Your computer should reboot when installation is done (at least mine did). Make sure you watch your BIOS post to see if your CMOS reset or not and reload profile if needed.

6. Start hitting ESC and choose to boot from your DVD drive again (rboot). When rboot loads, choose your new Lion hard drive (not the USB). Follow the set up procedure until you are at the desktop.

7. Ethernet should be working, so if you don't have MultiBeast, Airwalk's DSDT, or the kexts loaded on another usb, you can grab them now. Put DSDT.aml on your desktop and put all of the kexts in /Extra/Extensions (you will have to create this directory).

8. Start MultiBeast. 4.0.3 (current version) and click Continue, Continue, Continue, Agree. Make sure it says Custom Install on "your Lion drive" at the top. First choose Drivers & Bootloaders / Bootloaders / Chimera v1.5.4 and Customization / Themes / whichever theme you want. Click Continue to install these items. Once complete, DO NOT REBOOT.

9. Run MultiBeast again (if it closed). Next choose Customization / Boot Options / PCI Configuration Fix and Customization / System Definitions / Mac Pro / MacPro 3,1. Click Continue to install these items. DO NOT REBOOT.

10. Run MultiBeast yet again. Choose UserDSDT Install, System Utilities, and Extension Migration Tool. You must have the DSDT.aml on your desktop and the kext files in /Extra/Extensions as described in step 7 for this step to work. Click Continue. After successful installation, it is now time to reboot.

11. Your BIOS will definitely reset this time so be ready to hit DEL to go enter your saved profile again. Once your computer reboots, DO NOT hit ESC. Let your computer get to the Chimera you installed with MultiBeast and it should load your Lion hard drive.

========
Post notes:

Airwalk's DSDT should be working perfectly, and will stop the BIOS from resetting when you reboot. I cannot comment on the Legacy kext or sound since I have that disabled and use Bose Companion 5 USB speakers and a Logitech G35 USB headset, both of which work perfectly. If everything is working good, I highly suggest grabbing Carbon Copy Cloner now, and back up your installation to the "OSX Safe" partition I had you create. This will allow you to restore this exact image if you run into any issues later on that you cannot fix.

A huge thank you goes out to the tonymacx86 crew for everything they do to make this possible. I also want to thank Airwalk and xxxslayeriiixxx. I have not spoken to either of them directly, but all of the information I found on other posts from them helped me complete this project and gave me the ability to write this tutorial. Last but not least, a very necessary THANK YOU to Deanwray and Citizen7 for helping me out along the way. You all rock!
:headbang:

The 132-BL-E758-A1 has a 3 year warranty, but the warranty has nothing to do with how similar these motherboards are. It all comes down to chipsets, onboard devices (sound, ethernet, etc), and BIOS. I can't say that it will or won't work for you.

amazing instructions my friend I followed them and was able to get everything working except the ethernet and audio. I fixed the ethernet with using the universal ktext. I am still working on the Audio at this point

Thanks again!

dr01dy said:
amazing instructions my friend I followed them and was able to get everything working except the ethernet and audio. I fixed the ethernet with using the universal ktext. I am still working on the Audio at this point

Thanks again!

I just installed my M-Audio Fast Track USB and used that for the sound device so I am all good to go.

Iam trading in my Asus Ramapge III Extreme for this EVGA Mobo just so I can follow this tutorial. I had the EVGA X58 Classified 3-Way Sli and I couldnt get that working. So is this motherboard easy? Because I never hackintoshed anything but my little old Compaq C700 which semi works....

ScAwN7 said:
This is my method for getting the EVGA x58 SLI board working with a fresh Lion 10.7.2 install. I'm sure certain steps can be altered, I am simply describing how I accomplished this. Any suggestions are welcome and I will try to monitor / update this post as necessary.

================
Files / tools you will need:

1. Retail Lion 10.7.2 USB stick (I created mine using this tutorial, and had xmove put everything onto the USB stick instead of another partition. You will need another mac or current hackintosh for this step.
2. rboot and MultiBeast 4.0.3 from here.
3. Airwalk's DSDT.
4. The following kexts:
---a. AHCIPortInjector
---b. AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler
---c. fakesmc
---d. IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
---e. IONetworkingFamily
---f. JMicronATA
---g. Legacy889HDA (only if you use onboard sound)
---h. NullCPUPowerManagement
---i. OpenHaltRestart
---j. PlatformUUID

========
BIOS settings:

Sata Mode: AHCI
JMB362 Sata Controller: Enabled
JMB363 Sata/Pata Controller: Enabled
JMB363 Mode: AHCI
JMB362 Mode: AHCI
ACPI Suspend: S3
Run VGA Bios if S3 Resume: No
Soft-Off by PWRBUTTON: Instant off
Wake up by PCI card: Disable
USBKB Wakeup from S3: Enabled
PWRON after pwr failure: On
Integrated sound: Disabled (optional)
Ethernet: I only enabled the one I was using. I see no reason to enable the 2nd one and risk conflicts if you know you won't use it. Number 1 is the top Ethernet port on the back of your motherboard.

SAVE THESE TO A PROFILE IN YOUR BIOS. You will need them. If your BIOS resets after the install or first couple of boots, simply get into your BIOS and load this profile. The easiest way to know it has reset is watch your BIOS post. Once it shows your ram speed it should immediately jump to another screen (showing drives hooked to the JMicron controller). If you see your hard drive(s) listed under your ram speed, start hitting the DEL key until you get into the BIOS and reload the profile. If the profile is loaded correctly, you should not see your hard drives under your ram speed on the post screen.

=================
Disconnect additional items:
All you need hooked up is the hard drive you plan to install Lion to, no more than 4Gb of ram, keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Unhook any additional USB devices and drives until your install is completed.

============
Installation method:

1. Start pc and put rboot in your DVD drive and Lion USB drive into a USB port.
Start hitting ESC to load temporary boot order and select the drive rboot is in. If you don't catch it, just hit "reset button" and when BIOS is posting, start hitting ESC.

2. Once rboot is loaded, select your Lion USB drive.

3. When you get to the Lion installation screen, go to Utilites / Disk Utility and set up your hard drive for Lion installation using Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and name it whatever you want. I recommend also creating a 10GB partition using Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and calling it "OSX Safe". I will explain later.

4. Quit disk utility once you have partitions set up the way you want, and continue installation of OSX Lion.

5. Your computer should reboot when installation is done (at least mine did). Make sure you watch your BIOS post to see if your CMOS reset or not and reload profile if needed.

6. Start hitting ESC and choose to boot from your DVD drive again (rboot). When rboot loads, choose your new Lion hard drive (not the USB). Follow the set up procedure until you are at the desktop.

7. Ethernet should be working, so if you don't have MultiBeast, Airwalk's DSDT, or the kexts loaded on another usb, you can grab them now. Put DSDT.aml on your desktop and put all of the kexts in /Extra/Extensions (you will have to create this directory).

8. Start MultiBeast. 4.0.3 (current version) and click Continue, Continue, Continue, Agree. Make sure it says Custom Install on "your Lion drive" at the top. First choose Drivers & Bootloaders / Bootloaders / Chimera v1.5.4 and Customization / Themes / whichever theme you want. Click Continue to install these items. Once complete, DO NOT REBOOT.

9. Run MultiBeast again (if it closed). Next choose Customization / Boot Options / PCI Configuration Fix and Customization / System Definitions / Mac Pro / MacPro 3,1. Click Continue to install these items. DO NOT REBOOT.

10. Run MultiBeast yet again. Choose UserDSDT Install, System Utilities, and Extension Migration Tool. You must have the DSDT.aml on your desktop and the kext files in /Extra/Extensions as described in step 7 for this step to work. Click Continue. After successful installation, it is now time to reboot.

11. Your BIOS will definitely reset this time so be ready to hit DEL to go enter your saved profile again. Once your computer reboots, DO NOT hit ESC. Let your computer get to the Chimera you installed with MultiBeast and it should load your Lion hard drive.

========
Post notes:

Airwalk's DSDT should be working perfectly, and will stop the BIOS from resetting when you reboot. I cannot comment on the Legacy kext or sound since I have that disabled and use Bose Companion 5 USB speakers and a Logitech G35 USB headset, both of which work perfectly. If everything is working good, I highly suggest grabbing Carbon Copy Cloner now, and back up your installation to the "OSX Safe" partition I had you create. This will allow you to restore this exact image if you run into any issues later on that you cannot fix.

A huge thank you goes out to the tonymacx86 crew for everything they do to make this possible. I also want to thank Airwalk and xxxslayeriiixxx. I have not spoken to either of them directly, but all of the information I found on other posts from them helped me complete this project and gave me the ability to write this tutorial. Last but not least, a very necessary THANK YOU to Deanwray and Citizen7 for helping me out along the way. You all rock!
:headbang:

How do you think a 6870 or a 5870 or a stronger GPU than your GTX 560 Ti will do? I have a pair of 6970's and a quad set of 5870s but will abandon them for a pair of GTX 560 Ti's if needed.

Amazing guide! Thank you very much! I can't enable Ethernet though any help :s?

Amazing guide bud! Followed your steps perfectly and everything turned out great. Is there anyway you could batch all these kexts together and host it up somewhere?

Sorry I haven't been around in a bit. Work and Christmas has kept me pretty busy. Let me try to reply to everyone here:

@dr01dy: Glad you got yours working. I use Bose speakers and Logitech headset, both of which hook up through USB so I couldn't swear to the onboard sound working other than what I had read in previous tutorials I used to build this one.

@mo_karney: This EVGA board is really easy to set up and I personally feel that it's quality is right up there with Asus and Gigabyte. As for video cards, I haven't used ATI in awhile. The GTX560 is a great card but check around and see if any of your ATI's have great compatibility. I like the GTX560 but I'm sure it's running hotter than I care for and I just can't tell due to no temp monitoring abilities. Besides, what are you going to be doing on a Mac where one card is going to be massively better than another, LOL.

@4HM3R: If ethernet isn't working right away, the only thing I can think of is making sure only the port you are using is enabled. Also, make sure your "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" has the following in it
Code:
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>

@Revatic: Now that things are winding down, I am digging back into my setup to see if I can get a few missing features working (ie: turbo boost, power management, sleep). If I get this worked out, I will group together those kexts and upload them, as well as edit the tutorial to fix those things as well. I am looking at rebuilding my pc with an i7 2600K and a Gigabyte z68 mobo, but plan on perfecting this install before moving forward.

So I checked the or.Chameleon.boot.plist and verified that the code was there. Im really quite not sure about checking which port I have enabled. I don't know how this is done, and I figured that it would be under the network tab in system preferances however when I click on network the pane freezes forcing me to quit it. I have attached screen shots. Thanks in advance :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-12-27 at 7.10.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-12-27 at 7.10.49 AM.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 486
  • Screen Shot 2011-12-27 at 7.12.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-12-27 at 7.12.38 AM.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 393
  • Screen Shot 2011-12-27 at 7.13.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-12-27 at 7.13.02 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 426
Status
Not open for further replies.