Contribute
Register

1st time build OSX SL. Possible Hardware issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello to all!

So as stated, this is my first time trying any sort of OS system other than Windows. Honestly, I'm still trying to absorb all of the "wealth of knowledge" located on this site! I recently put together a new computer with the intentions of installing SL. So I dived into this project last night and immediately hit a wall! After using iboot and loading into the SL installation disc, I'm getting the "you must restart your computer" screen. From what I have read, I'm leaning towards a hardware compatability issue. I would appreciate any ideas you might be able to throw my way!

Here is what I'm running:
MB: EVGA Z68 FTW (160-SB-E689-KR)
CPU: Intel I7-2600
GPU: GeForce GTX-560
HD: Kingston HyperX 120G SSD (SH100S3/120G)
Disc Drive: LITE-ON Blu-ray Burner (iHBS212)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X series (1 x 4GB)

I have a few other odds and ends I left uninstalled (as per the tonymacx86 instructions)

I went back and double/tripple checked my bios settings.
- SATA Recogntion is set to ACHI
- Suspend mode set to S3
- Boot priorities are all set

I have tried using both iboot and iboot legacy, but i have not tried using any of the "boot flags" commands I have seen floating around here. (I should also mention that booting with iboot legacy, I wont get the gray screen, but will just end up having the computer restart on its own)

So the only thing I can figure is that some type of hardware is not liked by SL?
Again, any tips/tricks/suggestions you could offer up would be greatly appreciated! I'm not quite ready to give up on this project, but i do understand that the computer i built might not support SL and its back to Windows for me.

Thanks!
Mike T.

blckout92 said:
Hello to all!

So as stated, this is my first time trying any sort of OS system other than Windows. Honestly, I'm still trying to absorb all of the "wealth of knowledge" located on this site! I recently put together a new computer with the intentions of installing SL. So I dived into this project last night and immediately hit a wall! After using iboot and loading into the SL installation disc, I'm getting the "you must restart your computer" screen. From what I have read, I'm leaning towards a hardware compatability issue. I would appreciate any ideas you might be able to throw my way!

Here is what I'm running:
MB: EVGA Z68 FTW (160-SB-E689-KR)
CPU: Intel I7-2600
GPU: GeForce GTX-560
HD: Kingston HyperX 120G SSD (SH100S3/120G)
Disc Drive: LITE-ON Blu-ray Burner (iHBS212)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X series (1 x 4GB)

I have a few other odds and ends I left uninstalled (as per the tonymacx86 instructions)

I went back and double/tripple checked my bios settings.
- SATA Recogntion is set to ACHI
- Suspend mode set to S3
- Boot priorities are all set

I have tried using both iboot and iboot legacy, but i have not tried using any of the "boot flags" commands I have seen floating around here. (I should also mention that booting with iboot legacy, I wont get the gray screen, but will just end up having the computer restart on its own)

So the only thing I can figure is that some type of hardware is not liked by SL?
Again, any tips/tricks/suggestions you could offer up would be greatly appreciated! I'm not quite ready to give up on this project, but i do understand that the computer i built might not support SL and its back to Windows for me.

Thanks!
Mike T.
graphics card - no support in SL - minimal support in Lion (not 100% QE/CI - artifacts, freezes, etc, even on "real" Macs. See
wiki/index.php/Graphics_Card_Database#NVIDIA
and
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index ... 6.8#NVIDIA
for compatible cards.

GB, great information! Thank you, I will certainly look into getting a graphics card that is compliant.

On another note, I was finally able to get SL installed! A nice bit of excitement! After using the iboot legacy disc, and using the boot flag "PCIRootUID=1" SL took me right into the installation setup screen. I am kind of wondering though, by typing in that command, what exactly am i telling iboot/SL to do?

I also never got the "Installation Failed" screen, infact, the opposite. My installation said it was successful.

From that point on forward I had no issues with Multibeast (none that I am aware of anyways), until I went to reboot without using iboot. Now I just end up with the white Apple Logo screen (without the, for lack of a better word, spinner).

I have yet to install the Update Helper, or the 10.6.8 Combo Update package but plan on doing so this evening. My gut is telling me that this will more then likely not fix that issue, but its a start. (As well as getting myself a new graphics card, thanks to GB!)

Thats all I have for now.
Mike T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back