Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys,

I'm kind of new at this, and I have a few questions about this. I have a laptop running windows 7, with two hard drives. Windows 7 is located on my C-drive, and I want to install Snow Leopard on my D-drive.

I read a lot about this, but I couldn't find if it is possible that I can choose between Windows 7 and Snow Leopard at my laptop's startup, if windows 7 is located on my C-drive and if Snow Leopard is located on my D-drive.

I've an intel i5 520m inside, and a ATI RADEON HD5650 mobility (I know this one is not supported yet.... unfortunately). (Studio 1749).

My other question is: can I place iBoot, or iBoot legacy, on a usb stick, so that I don't have to waste a 4,7 GB DVD on this? That would be very handful if it would work.

I don't know which version of iBoot I need, so in the worst case I need to waste to DVD's on it.

I hope somebody can help me!

Regards,
Thomas

iboot is about 30mbs.
dunno where you got 4.7gbs from

you also dont have 2 hard drives; you have one hard drive with 2 partitions.

I think you kind of misunderstand me... I DO have 2 harddrives, 2 of 500 GB each.

And I said I don't like to waste a DVD of 4,7GB on a program which is 30mb. You understand me now? And can you now answer my questions?

did not realise you could add another hard drive to your laptop.

re the dvds. get some blank cds. if not, use the dvds. theyre like what? 20p?
will save you more time than working out how to get it on a usb stick.

anyway, to your first question.
in your bios, you may or may not have an option to choose the boot order of the hard drives.
if you do, then itll be a simple case of having chameleon installed on the osx drive, and having your bios direct to it.
chameleon will then show you the windows drive as an option.

you need regular iboot.
you may have to use key/strings on the iboot startup/osx disc swap such as pcirootuid=1

have a look around insanelymac for tips on your 5650 eg
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=262286

Thanks for your answer! I think it was really helpful! But the bios, or actually, the screen that appears after bios screen, doesn't give me the option to start OSX or Windows7? Because that will be the most useful to me! I hope you do understand what I mean, and if you don't, I will search for a picture to let you understand.

Regards,

Edit:

I've found something: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZY-8PF6qjI

This is what I mean, at 2:40.

i know exactly what you mean.
that youtube vid is old, he is using windows boot manager to control mac and windows booting.
chameleon is the way forward.

as long as you have chameleon installed, as in you arent using iboot anymore and have used easybeast or userdsdt in multibeast, it is just a case of assigning the boot order in the bios.

to do this, you need to get into your bios by pressing del or f12 (depending on your laptop) to get into the bios. the bios should look something like http://www.bcot1.com/bios02.jpg

in there you will be able to change the boot order of your two hard drives.
you need to make sure the MAC hard drive boots up first.

Thanks for your answers! They helped me a lot. If I do have others questions in the future, I hope I can ask them to you ;)

Regards,

p.s.: I'm going to try it friday.

Hi mate,

I hope you, or someone else will read this, because I have a problem. Today I was trying to install Max OS X Snow Leopard on my Studio 1749.

I had some troubles before, I had this error, pc won't boot anymore, so that's the reason why I'm starting to try it this late:

Intel Base-Code, PXE-2.1 (build 083)
Copyright (C) 1997-2001, Intel Corporation
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0f: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
Boot Failure: System Halted

But that's not essential in this case.

So I was trying to install OS X 10.6, with the newest version of iBoot, and it didn't work for me. iBoot found the MAX OS X installation dvd, but when I'm trying to boot it, my DVD-drive keeps just ticking, and no setup appears. I just have a black screen.

I already tried this:

NOTE: If you cannot get to the installation screen, retry from Step 4, type PCIRootUID=1 before hitting enter. If that doesn't work then try PCIRootUID=1 -x or just -x which will enter Mac OS X Safe Mode and will allow you to proceed.

But that won't work either for me. Do you have any suggestions?

Regards,
Thomas

obvious questions first, are you using a genuine snow leopard disc and/or have an external dvd drive to try

I'm using a genuine snow leopard disc of course, why do you doubt that? What do you mean with external DVD drive? If you mean Distros -> I especially don't use that kind of stuff, because I know that it is forbidden to use it in this forum, and if you use it anyway, no one is going to give you any support anymore.. And without your support, or any other on this forum, I think it is going to be a pretty hard thing to install it. Besides.. that piracy stuf I already named, doesn't even work with tony's method, so there is absolutely no reason to use external discs for me.. Hope I've convinced you know, because I really need some answers!

On topic:

Normal ? Doesn’t boot, black screen stays 10 minutes, then I gave up.
PCIRootUID=1 ? Memory allocation error: Addr=0xdeadbeef, Size=0x0, File=ati.c, Line=739
PCIRootUID=1 –x ? Doesn’t boot, black screen stays 10 minutes, then I gave up.
-x ? Doesn’t boot, black screen stays 10 minutes.
GraphicsEnabler=No ? Boots, but asks to restart: You need to restart the computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off, then press power button again. (kernel panic, right?)
PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No ? Boots, but asks to restart: You need to restart the computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off, then press power button again. (kernel panic, right?)
PCIRootUID=1 –x GraphicsEnabler=No ? Boots, but asks to restart: You need to restart the computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off, then press power button again. (kernel panic, right?)
PCIRootUID=1 -x -v GrahpicsEnabler=No ? Error code 0x00000000 BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

I've already found this topic to make it work on a Dell Studio 1749: http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=4708, but I hope that you have another suggestion, because the installation of Snow Leopard with iBoot seems to be the most easiest to me..!

Regards,
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back