Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Firstly, apologies but I am a very new and inexperienced Hackintosh owner and do not want to mistakenly post this question in the wrong area on this forum or ask a question which has been answered dozens of times before ... so please bear with me if I have breached proper procedure by posting here.

I have searched around on this forum and on other forums but have not been able to find exactly the same problem or an answer. I have seen posts about black screens immediately after boot and posts about Ati cards and kexts and injectors and QE/CI/Resolution issues etc. but am struggling to understand if any of this applies to my problem and more importantly what to do about it. I have also seen posts about motherboards and "outriggers"? but again I am clueless.

I had my machine about 6 weeks and bought it preconfigured as a dual boot OSX 10.6.7 and Windows 7 system. It has run perfectly up until the last couple of days. Now, when I boot the system into mac it will run for about 10 to 15 minutes and the the screen goes black and the monitor button flashes showing that there is an i/o loss of connection I guess. The power on the base unit stays on and I can still hear the fans running so I assume the machine is still running even though i have no monitor to check.

When I boot into Windows I get a similar thing it will run for about 10 minutes fine but then shut down completely.

If I reboot then it will run again ok for 15 minutes or so and then go to black screen or shut down again.

The only thing I have done graphics-wise recently which may or may not be a contributory factor is to install Portal 2 on both the mac and windows side (as I could and wanted to see if there was a difference) and then change from the starting screen resolution in the game of 1024 x 768 to 1600 x 1050 which it advised is the native resolution of my syncmaster 226BW monitor (which it is).

After I started getting the problem I reset the game resolutions back to 1024 x 768 but it does not make any difference so i think this may be a coincidence.

My system specs are a s follows:
i7 870 2.93 ghz
Asus P7P55D MB
Sapphire HD 4850 Ati graphics card
8GB OCZ 1333 mhz DDR3 Ram
Corsair hydro H50 water cooling
icute modular 500w PSU
Barracuda 500GB SATA hard drive (with OSX 10.6.7 installed)
Western digital 500GB SATA hard drive (with Win 7 installed)
I am afraid I do not know how the boot is set up or which drivers/kexts are installed (and do not know how to find out)

I would be really grateful if you fine people can help me.

If there is more information needed then please ask (and kindly tell me how to find it) and I will provide it.

Many thanks
Vern

biggervern said:
Firstly, apologies but I am a very new and inexperienced Hackintosh owner and do not want to mistakenly post this question in the wrong area on this forum or ask a question which has been answered dozens of times before ... so please bear with me if I have breached proper procedure by posting here.

I have searched around on this forum and on other forums but have not been able to find exactly the same problem or an answer. I have seen posts about black screens immediately after boot and posts about Ati cards and kexts and injectors and QE/CI/Resolution issues etc. but am struggling to understand if any of this applies to my problem and more importantly what to do about it. I have also seen posts about motherboards and "outriggers"? but again I am clueless.

I had my machine about 6 weeks and bought it preconfigured as a dual boot OSX 10.6.7 and Windows 7 system. It has run perfectly up until the last couple of days. Now, when I boot the system into mac it will run for about 10 to 15 minutes and the the screen goes black and the monitor button flashes showing that there is an i/o loss of connection I guess. The power on the base unit stays on and I can still hear the fans running so I assume the machine is still running even though i have no monitor to check.

When I boot into Windows I get a similar thing it will run for about 10 minutes fine but then shut down completely.

If I reboot then it will run again ok for 15 minutes or so and then go to black screen or shut down again.

The only thing I have done graphics-wise recently which may or may not be a contributory factor is to install Portal 2 on both the mac and windows side (as I could and wanted to see if there was a difference) and then change from the starting screen resolution in the game of 1024 x 768 to 1600 x 1050 which it advised is the native resolution of my syncmaster 226BW monitor (which it is).

After I started getting the problem I reset the game resolutions back to 1024 x 768 but it does not make any difference so i think this may be a coincidence.

My system specs are a s follows:
i7 870 2.93 ghz
Asus P7P55D MB
Sapphire HD 4850 Ati graphics card
8GB OCZ 1333 mhz DDR3 Ram
Corsair hydro H50 water cooling
icute modular 500w PSU
Barracuda 500GB SATA hard drive (with OSX 10.6.7 installed)
Western digital 500GB SATA hard drive (with Win 7 installed)
I am afraid I do not know how the boot is set up or which drivers/kexts are installed (and do not know how to find out)

I would be really grateful if you fine people can help me.

If there is more information needed then please ask (and kindly tell me how to find it) and I will provide it.

Many thanks
Vern

Your graphics card is most likely crapping out on you since it is happening in both OS's. Install another one and see if it happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back