Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I had osx installed on my pentium d 920 some time ago but forsake it for my x58 system with win 7 64bit.

After reading some of the stickies and tutorials I think I'm ready to embark on the osx quest I once took.

System Specs
Code:
eVGA X58 LE (latest bios as of 27/11/10)
intel i7 920 D0 @stock
Team Extreem 3x2gb 1600 rams
1x WD black (640gb), 2x WD green (1tb+2tb)

After reading I decided to go with iBoot + MultiBeast.

I also plan on dual booting Win 7 and SL.

But I have some questions I need to ask (remembered I had lots of troubles with my previous OSX adventure).

1. The guide is based on a totally new install of both OS but I currently already have a Win 7 installation, what do I need to do different?

2. In my previous OSX experiment I used to have a copy of a OSX installation on another partition which didn't have a bootloader for testing OSX updates so I wouldn't ruin my main OSX installation, is there a new way of doing this?

3. I'm kinda confused about the DSDT thingy, am I suppose to make one for myself? Is there a link which explains DSDT and how I can go about editing one for my system?

Thx in advance!

animemaniac said:
I had osx installed on my pentium d 920 some time ago but forsake it for my x58 system with win 7 64bit.

After reading some of the stickies and tutorials I think I'm ready to embark on the osx quest I once took.

System Specs
Code:
intel i7 920 D0 @stock

But I have some questions I need to ask (remembered I had lots of troubles with my previous OSX adventure).

1. The guide is based on a totally new install of both OS but I currently already have a Win 7 installation, what do I need to do different?

2. In my previous OSX experiment I used to have a copy of a OSX installation on another partition which didn't have a bootloader for testing OSX updates so I wouldn't ruin my main OSX installation, is there a new way of doing this?

3. I'm kinda confused about the DSDT thingy, am I suppose to make one for myself? Is there a link which explains DSDT and how I can go about editing one for my system?

Thx in advance!
OS X can only be installed on disk using a GUID Partition Table (GPT). You will either need a separate drive or will have to backup and erase your Windows installation.

MacMan said:
animemaniac said:

System Specs
Code:
intel i7 920 D0 @stock

Thx in advance!
OS X can only be installed on disk using a GUID Partition Table (GPT). You will either need a separate drive or will have to backup and erase your Windows installation.

Yep I will be Installing it on a separate disk, previous experience with OSX tells me separate disk for each OS is better. Well I will be going out to buy SL some blank disk for this project today, wish me luck.

K I have a problem, when I use tony's guide I get stuck after step 7. It will get stuck at the white loading screen with the wheel which just keeps spinning, after like about 20mins it will ask me to powerdown.

If I use "-x" it will just get stuck at the loading screen also, like for ever.

Need help. :cry:

animemaniac said:
K I have a problem, when I use tony's guide I get stuck after step 7. It will get stuck at the white loading screen with the wheel which just keeps spinning, after like about 20mins it will ask me to powerdown.

Do you have a different video card to try? The 4850 can be problematic. I have this one http://www1.sapphiretech.com/us/product ... p?gpid=249. We call it the ATI From Hell as it cannot be used in OS X.

MacMan said:
animemaniac said:

Do you have a different video card to try? The 4850 can be problematic. I have this one http://www1.sapphiretech.com/us/product ... p?gpid=249. We call it the ATI From Hell as it cannot be used in OS X.

No mine is a powercolour 4850 512mb, will try to find the actual model id. (this model comes with a custom oem cooler)

animemaniac said:
MacMan said:
animemaniac said:

No mine is a powercolour 4850 512mb, will try to find the actual model id. (this model comes with a custom oem cooler)
No need to find details unless to warn other users.

So Macman any idea if I can make this work? Or I'll just have to use the SL disk as a drink coaster :banghead:

animemaniac said:
So Macman any idea if I can make this work? Or I'll just have to use the SL disk as a drink coaster :banghead:
Try a different video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back