Graphics
Nvidia GTS 250, 1024MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Wondering if there is anyone around that might be able to help me repair my system. I had a fully working Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (v 2.0) system with a i7-930 CPU running and foolishly decided to upgrade Multibeast to 2.5.1 and the BIOS to FC. I used Multibeast 2.5.1 to change the DSDT to the FC version from the database and selected what I thought were the correct kexts and options for my system.

Now it just hangs when it tries to boot directly from the HDD and when I use the iBoot CD to boot I don't have any peripherals. The mouse, keyboard and bluetooth are all non-functional. Ethernet seems to come up to some extent because I see the system appear on my other (real) macs, but I am not able to Share the screen or ssh to it.

I can boot from the Mac OS install CD and seem to be able to do anything I wish with the Terminal, but I don't actually know what to do.

I tried copying the old FB DSDT file into the Extras directory and downgrading the BIOS back to FB, but I still have the same issues.

My current thought is that I selected the USB 3.0 support kexts in Multibeast and perhaps If I can get rid of those I might be able to recover peripheral support. If anyone can tell me which ones they are, and where I can find them and the correct procedure for removing them. I don't see anything that was modified as of today in the System/Library/Extensions directory, but I presume there must have been something, I just don't know what.

Any suggestions?

You have to set up your BIOS , i have the same MOBO and i Flash'ed to FC last week, and everything is working fine under Multibeast 2.51...

Yep, thanks. I did setup the BIOS (cleared the CMOS, load optimized defaults, reset everything to what I thought were the right settings). I suppose I may have messed up the BIOS settings and I re-messed them up when I reflashed back to FB.

I don't actually think it is the BIOS, though. The system mostly works when I boot from the iBoot CD, I just don't have a any USB support (no controller driver or anything). The network is also broken - it gets an autoconfigured address and even if I direct connect to it, I can't communicate on the interface.

I somehow managed to make a PS/2 keyboard work so now at least I have some control over it. I don't have any mouse support, though (I tried a PS/2 mouse). Which means I can't get through the Multibeast panes - at least I can't figure out how to use the keyboard to press the first 'Continue' button.

I tried restoring the contents of my Extra folder from my Time Machine backup, but that didn't help. It seemed to not actually work because one of the things I have noticed is that it now thinks it is an iMac with a Xeon processor. When I replaced the smbios.plist from the backup (which says it is a Mac Pro with an i7 processor) it still thought it was an iMac with the Xeon. So I am missing a step that I need to do ...

I tried deleting the kext cache directory and I may try deleting everything else in the cache directory.

I tried clearing out the Extra directory, but that was a mistake as I presume I need fakesmc.kext. The iBoot CD won't even boot the drive now. I will try putting that back.

Attachments

• Archiv.zip
    462.1 KB · Views: 53
I finally figured out how to use the keyboard sufficiently well that I can now run Multibeast. I tried running 2.3 (the previous version I had) but I still can't seem to get the USB or network drivers to come back to life ...

Aaacckkk! Recovered. I used MB 2.5.1 to restore my old DSDT file and all seems to be back to functioning again.

I suspect the problem may have been that I should have merged my custom DSDT with the database DSDT for FC, rather than just assuming that the Database version was going to be fine. Perhaps next weekend I might try again but be a little more diligent with the upgrade process.

I have done a similar thing (no usb, i.e. no mouse) and can not for the life of me work out how to make MultiBeast 'Continue' to fix it... I see you worked it out - could you PLEASE post how you did it. It would be greatly appreciated. :D
Thanks
Tammy

Sure:

Basically, you need to switch how the tab key works when changing between controls. If you go to System Preferences|Keyboard|Keyboard Shortcuts|Keyboard & Text Input there is a shortcut called 'Change the way Tab moves focus'. On my MacBook Pro, the standard keystroke for this is Ctrl-F7. I suspect that may be the default.

So you should just type 'Ctrl-F7' then you should be able to hit Tab to switch between the individual buttons. Space will then select the button which has the focus.

I found that it was actually possible to navigate to the Keyboard Shortcuts pane with just the keyboard (using Spotlight). So if Ctrl-F7 doesn't work for you here is how I got there so that perhaps you can look up (and maybe set to something different) how that shortcut is presently set on your system: Cmd-Space to open Spotlight Search, enter "pref" and select System Preferences. Use Tab to get to the search box inside the Pref manager window, Enter "key" and select Keyboard Shortcuts, then use Tab and arrow keys to select "keyboard & Text Input" and "Change the way Tab moves Focus". I think it should be possible to both turn this shortcut on if it is off and change the key stroke that is used.

For the next person: I was also able to figure out how to enable Mouse Keys using the keyboard, but could never figure out how to move the mouse around. I actually found that I could use the keyboard to do pretty much everything I needed without Mouse Keys being enabled. Ctrl-F2 puts focus in the menu bar, Ctrl-F8 puts focus in the status menus and Ctrl-F4, Cmd-` and Cmd-Tab help with changing windows.

Good Luck.

You are my hero! :D
I was searching through forums and keyboard shortcut menus all night (Australian time) and you were the only one who helped - thank you!!!!!!!!!!

The keyboard and mouse still aren't working but at least now I can actually open things!! YAY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back