Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi guys!
I have a little bit not an ordinary question. I found on ebay a pair of Xeon L5420 CPUs for 100 dollars. There also are some motherboards for about the same price.
As you can guess, building an octacore system for just $200 sounds pretty cool. Motherboards have PCI-E x16 and SATA, also support DDR2, so I can just take components from my current build (core2duo) and use them.
The only question I have — is it worth it? Won't I face any troubles and problems with such system? Will I be able to install OSX as easy as it was with my current system using unibeast?

BTW If you need more specific component names, here they are:
Pair of Intel Xeon L5420 CPUs
SUPERMICRO X7DCA-L Server Motherboard Dual LGA 771

it could be a hit or miss. Some have had success others have not. Mac Pro's logic board is a Desktop hybrid mother board with server features such as the processor and ram. That's why mac pro's are usually in the professional word of entertainment, graphic design, and web design. Most serious server solutions build their own servers and use linux. I would not recommend it. Also the board i guarantee will use ECC ram which sometimes could cost more.

Also sometimes people have had problems with getting their hackintosh to see 1 core on 1 processor, I have heard some people have had success but only could use one processor. It can work, but I doubt iboot and multibeast is enough to get it working.

as above, that board takes ecc ddr2, so your non-ecc ram wont work

i personally wouldnt bother.
yeh it sounds cheap, but itll be an 8 core core2 based system.

youll find that sandy bridge and nehalem based systems will be more powerful, and they can be had for relatively cheap if you shop around/buy used.

Well, I can afford an ECC memory, it's not so expensive.
I'm really satisfied with my current core2duo computer but need more performance in applications involving video encoding and with large photoshop files. Will I gain a real boost in these or really game is not worth the candles and I should better save money for sandy bridge?
My processor speed is 3Ghz and memory is 1066. Xeons are 2,5 and configuration support 667 memory.

I just need to know, is it worth it. Guess I won't get any more performance in games and stuff like that.

not worth it, go with the tried and true.
The faster the ram the better for rendering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back