Won't Boot at 4.0Ghz willl at 2.8Ghz Same Bios Settings

Discussion in 'Snow Leopard Desktop Support' started by iWingzero, Jan 11, 2011.

1. iWingzero

iWingzero

Jan 11, 2011 #1
    iWingzero

iWingzero

Basically I have 2 Bios's one with a 4Ghz OC and one with stock settings.

The stock one gets to the log in screen fine and I can log-in all fine and dandy.

The 4.0ghz OC one displays the Log-in screen about a second after doing so grey comes down the screen and it says I have to restart.

Any Ideas ?

2. waffle head

waffle head

Jan 11, 2011 #2
    waffle head

waffle head

Could you post your BIOS settings for the OC? Perhaps you are undervolting and causing the OS to crash. Try increasing the Vcore and VTT slightly and see if it works. Is the OC stable under Windows or another operating system?

3. iWingzero

iWingzero

Jan 11, 2011 #3
    iWingzero

iWingzero

|Yeah it's 100% stable in Windows.

This has nothing to do with the settings for the OC i'm pretty sure.

It's rock solid 6hours in prime95 stable no errors or BSOD's.

It would boot at 4.0Ghz before 10.6.6 but would be reported as 3.8Ghz by OSX.

4. waffle head

waffle head

Jan 11, 2011 #4
    waffle head

waffle head

Hmmm...
    Although, if everything's working with different BIOS settings, the logical conclusion would be that the problem is to do with the OC. Perhaps it's stable under Windows but not OS X 10.6.6 - have you tried different OC settings, like going to 3.6GHz with a fair amount of V core and VTT?

Also, have you checked that the OC settings have everything needed for OS X? (AHCI and HPET 64-bit Mode)

Perhaps you should try different settings in the BIOS to see if that makes it work; like load line calibration, advanced CPU core features, memory settings, voltages etc.

The only non-BIOS related thing I can think of is changing your simbios - perhaps that's why the OC wasn't recognised as it is in the BIOS...

5. iWingzero

iWingzero

Jan 11, 2011 #5
    iWingzero

iWingzero

Thats where my thoughts lie.

Just gonna try a load of different settings tonight see where it leaves me. I'll post results as future reference for anyone with a similar problem.