Contribute
Register

What parts can I salvage from a MacBook Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gained some more knowledge in the topic because I work at an apple repair center for a month now.

The MBP you got is a unibody model, that has the kb/trackpad logic on the main logic board therefore it's not usable for our purposes.
There are keyboard/trackpads (topcases) that are compatible though:

The non-Unibody white MacBooks and the blacks are simple to modify, I type on one right now. There are two layout version one with a Num-Lock the other with the current arrangement of the media keys.
It's sturdy enough and best of all it was free.
I couldn't watch that we throw out all those keyboards and double finger scroll trackpads so I saved some that are in good shape.

The non-Unibody MacBook Pros are compatible and best of all the latest (Penryn) one of them is multi-touch. Not to mention the keyboard backlight possibility.

There is a Macbook Air Unibody topcase that is very promising but I haven't had the chance to try if it works yet.

Cheers

Scabattoir

I have a white Macbook keyboard and trackpad that I want to mod, I know the solder points I just dont know how you solder to such small points without doing damage to the board? Any tips would be wonderful.

I de-soldered the connector at the end of the flex cable then soldered to those solder points.
Let me know if you need pictures.

I second that request.

So here they come then.

Before the soldering it's best to disconnect the cable from the logic board under the gray cover on the backside of the trackpad.

file.php

You need to flip-up the edge of the connector or the flex cable will most likely be damaged.

file.php

I de-soldered the connector at the end of the flex cable then soldered a standard USB cable to it.

file.php

There are things need to be cut off in order to lay flat on the desk.

file.php

file.php

The topcases I get are cracked so I cut off about 1,5 mm from the Trackpad button side of it in order to make it look "new".
I made a bevel on it with the back of a utility knife.

file.php

file.php

It works really good with my Wacom.
I have the Apple bluetooth keyboard and I have been using that and a magic mouse and the Wacom. Unfortunately for the keyboard and the mouse it took about 40 seconds to reconnect to my computer even after I changed my bluetooth module to a MacBook Pro module. I even had to disconnect my Wacom before every sleep or else it would only work in mouse mode until I restart.
I found a fix for my logic board so Wacom works in tablet mode even after sleep, my iPad charges faaaast, and next to my tablet is this nice white keyboard with a trackpad that I can use if I don't feel like reaching out for the stylus.

file.php

Attachments

• Macbook topcase_01.jpg
    Macbook topcase_01.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Macbook topcase_02.jpg
    Macbook topcase_02.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 229
  • Macbook topcase_04.jpg
    Macbook topcase_04.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 267
  • Macbook topcase_06.jpg
    Macbook topcase_06.jpg
    553.9 KB · Views: 200
  • Macbook topcase_07.jpg
    Macbook topcase_07.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 266
  • Macbook topcase_08.jpg
    Macbook topcase_08.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 308
  • Macbook topcase_09.jpg
    Macbook topcase_09.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 429
  • Macbook topcase_10.jpg
    Macbook topcase_10.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 222
Last edited by a moderator:
ptmays said:

This is a MacBook Pro top case that I'm after getting and modding next because the latest version of it's trackpad supports not only two-finger scroll but multi-touch.
It can even be made backlit.
I'm thinking on putting speakers behind the speaker grille but it might make it too thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back