Contribute
Register

Upgrading Laptop screen to 1080p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys i've read a guide about the HP DV6 series...
That guy said that the cable in their case must be upgraded not because the size wouldn't fit but 'cause there was a special cable from HP which supports "Dual Link" (don't ask me what it is) and it was needed for 1080p.
Infact, someone on that thread said that he ripped apart the old 40 cable and figured out that only 30 pin of it where effectively attached, the other were left without cable...

I hope our standard cable would fit, or the HD+ cable would support this "Dual link" feature.

EDIT: Buyed 1080p screen glossy =D. Hope it works...

That would make since. There is an extra DSDT patch which needs to be made with displays over 1400x800. This edit is a dual link patch.

So the HD+ cable is probably needed? :?

I'm not doing the 1080 upgrade, only the 1600x900. I'll let you know what happens when I power it on. I don't plan on replacing the cable, but I will if I need to.

Seems odd needing a different cable. It seems like if all the pins are being used, then all the pins/copper is available for data transfer.

Something like because the screen is larger, and the data takes more to transfer, it is needed. I don't know.

It would make sense, but hopefully our cable works as well.

Wikipedia says:

"The DVI specification mandates a maximum pixel clock frequency of 165 MHz when running in single-link mode. With a single DVI link, the highest supported standard resolution is 2.75 megapixels (including blanking interval) at 60 Hz refresh. For practical purposes, this allows a maximum screen resolution at 60 Hz of 1,915 × 1,436 pixels (standard 4:3 ratio), 1,854 × 1,483 pixels (5:4 ratio), or 2,098 × 1,311 (widescreen 16:10 ratio)."

So, our screen should run fine if it doesn't use dual link. It stays under the value =).

Hopefully! I can spare 60 bucks for a new screen if you all say it is worth it. But not 110.

Good! I really want to see/hear how much of a difference it makes.

Would a screenshot show the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back