Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Trying to build my first Mac-type system (have been building MS boxes for decades). Collected the bits for a CustoMac mini, and am trying to gen the system from scratch. No access to a working Mac, so starting with a SL DVD. Here is the hardware:

Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI

i3-4360
8GB
1600Mhz DDR3 (4x2)
120GB Samsung EVO 830 SSD
optical drive
(1TB HDD to be added later)

Assembly and basic checkout with run-from-disc Linux Mint suggests the HW is good. Boot with iBoot Haswell and install from SL DVD runs fine.

Question I have is whether the UpdateHelper step before 10.6.8 upgrade is required for Haswell CPUs. The guide speaks only to Sandy Bridge. I ran the UpdateHelper, then stepped through the rest of the instructions, but have gotten nothing but White Screen of Death, without progress whirlygig, when I try to reboot after everything is supposedly done. Could be almost anything, but I am focusing on the bleeding-edge stuff related to the chipset.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

When I used iBoot Haswell and Snow Leopard to update to 10.6.8 via the Combo Update, I didn't need to use the Update Helper. Remember every time you boot Snow Leopard you will need to insert iBoot Haswell disc as there is no Kernel support in 10.6 for your hardware. Once you manage to get to 10.6.8 which allows access to the Mac App Store (requires signing in with an account) Download OS X Yosemite and create the UniBeast USB installer.

Thanks so much for the response. It was exactly the hint I needed. Somehow, I had missed the bit about iBoot being needed after the 10.6.8 upgrade. Have now cranked through the (excellent) guides from this site and have a mostly-working Yosemite build. Audio is still not right, but that's a problem for a different section of the forum.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back