CPU
Graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Guys, first - thank you so much for all your advice in this forum. I've had a few long nights going through the interesting builds that you guys have submitted, and I've now decided that I'd like to give it a go myself.

Purpose of this machine is mostly for FCPX/PP work and I am looking for one lean mean rendering machine. Ongoing stability is absolutely key - it would be so very painful if this box ended up freezing and being a daily nuisance.

I've been through this blogpost, and it is very helpful: http://nofilmschool.com/build-a-hackintosh/ - but I wanted to make sure that the PRO machine here had all the latest and greatest, and if you guys had any recommended changes to it:

Screen Shot 2013-02-01 at 10.21.18.png

Ideally I'd keep spend under $3000.

Thanks!

If you're serious about building a powerful rendering/transcoding machine, I suggest you look into an LGA 2011 system and 6 core 3930k processor. I'm currently running one of these systems and it's rock solid. I spent around $2000 on the build itself. OSX currently doesn't support power management for x79, which basically means that sleep won't work. This is a non-issue for me, since I never use it. I also plan on adding a pci-e audio card for mixing, and most of those cards will prevent sleep anyway. I run an Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard, but the cheaper Sabertooth x79 will work just fine.

thanks - what GPU would you go with? GTX680...690? Something else?

I went with a factory overclocked GTX 670 that performs more like a stock 680. I need my system to be as quiet as possible and my card is one of the most silent in its class. There are some nice 680s out there too, but I don't really see where I'd need the extra muscle. I'm not certain how the 690 is working under OSX right now, so I can't comment on it. FCPX and PP are two separate beasts, Premiere favors CUDA and FCPX OpenCL. Whether or not you need a 680 really depends on how you'll use the card in Premiere. CUDA support in PP will come in handy with rendering effects, color corrections, etc., but doesn't handle things like the debayer of RED footage(that rests on the CPU). You can check out ppbm5.com for more performance stats on different cards in PP. If you really want a ton of muscle, look for a solid, powerful, and quiet if you need it, 680 and go with that. I've read the MSI Lightning is a great card. I know that people on the forums really like the EVGA FTW, but I'm not certain of its noise levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back