Contribute
Register

Testing Thread: GeForce GTX 660

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

Could someone help. First sorry if i don't understand.
I also bought the GTX 660 MSI Twin Frozr III today and just saw this post discussing problems with 10.8.2 now. :(

http://www.pccomponentes.com/msi_geforce_gtx_660_twin_frozr_oc_2gb_gddr5.html

I thought all 6xx GTX graphics cards work well in mountain lion.

In Mac App Store I can only download version 10.8.2 not 10.8.0

So I'd like to know if this card works with the latest version or I was wrong and have to cancel the order.

Greetings and thanks

I am getting a lot of freezes with this card anytime I try to watch an online video. All the videos play as solid green scrnes with pink fuzz over it. May be a flash problem but it doesn't usually crash the whole system. I have tried editing AGPM, all the Nvidia kexts, GraphicsEnabler=Yes, Old and new versions of flash player, different drivers for the Nvidia. Still no luck.

I am running a Z77 DS3H with an i7 2600k and the GTX 660. Everything is running smoothly except for the freezes when I watch videos. I am getting 6000+ on Luxmark and 15000 on Geekbench 64bit, and it appears to shift states properly on Cuda-Z. I am at my wits ends trying to figure it out!

Open flash preferences and disable hardware acceleration. I had same issue, this solved it. Still doing a bunch of testing to see how stable is gtx 660

Okay, got my MSI gtx 660 today.
So far not got very far.....I had 10.8.2 and also pre-installed the new Nvidia drivers.
First thing was a FakeSMC plugin (NVclock) caused a KP. So removing that gets me further. Now I am white screening and not getting to a visible desktop.
My board, though it claims in the bios to be able to disable the PCI-e slot in fact does not, so I have to physically remove the card each time to go back in with integrated graphics and make a change. I'll report back on how it goes.....

Right, to simplify matters I am doing a new install to a clean partition and taking that to 10.8.1 (and then going to make a clean 10.8.1 clone) before I tackle this card again. That way at least I have some known baselines to return to.......
I am so glad I keep different install versions for days like these.
:)

Progress.

For internal graphics I need a DSDT (I am running a series 6 processor on a series 7 board).

Having done a clean 10.8.1 install to a new partition and booted to it (with DSDT) I then installed the 10.8.1 Nvidia drivers, removed the DSDT, rebooted, set my Bios to boot to the 660 and hey presto. Up she comes......:clap:

So for this install only the minimal options in Multibeast were selected - i.e. a userdsdt install and nothing else.

While I was there I took an ioreg save so that I can now, hopefully, re-edit my own DSDT with the values from the 660 to mean I can boot with either internal or external graphics.

Feel like I am getting somewhere now.

I have the MSI 660 GTX TF OC edition and i works very well.

that said its a complicated to get it running correctly atleast for me.

I can recommend users with intel HD 3000 or 4000 to boot up using this without the Geforce installed. then install the nvidia 10.8.2 drivers found in the forum and use multibeast to permently set GraphicsEnabler=No as Tony described ealier in this thread.

i also go KP when installing nvidia plugin for fakesmc.

for intel HD 4000 on 6 series or 3000 on 7 series. http://www.tonymacx86.com/150-enabl...therboards-hd-4000-6-series-motherboards.html

Hi Mosser.
Sorry if I don't understand it.
The msi works well with the method that you say ? Or have kernel panic. What version you are running ?
I bought yesterday the same card but I have a problem. I thought i had the 10.8.0 version of mountain lion saved on my iMac but finally i had to redownload again from iTunes. Now only can download the 10.8.2 version. It is possible download 10.8.1 version to get the card working ?

Thanks ;)

the way i did it works well.

the kernal panic is only related to if i install FakeSMC nvidia plugin. atlest on the testing ive done untill now.

What I've found is that if you install 10.8.1 you can get to the desktop and then install the nVidia Drivers. I've only had problems when I've tried to install 10.8.2 straight off. This was before the nVidia drivers for 10.8.2 were released and I had to use a hack (which may have been the cause of my problems).

What I did in the end was install OS X 10.8.1, install the nVidia drivers for 10.8.1 then upgrade to OS X 10.8.2. However, before I restarted after the update, I installed the nVidia drivers for 10.8.2.

I'm running 10.8.2 with only one small niggle (which is related to running Linux in a Virtual machine).

All this is in my own experience and I'm sure will differ from system to system. I'm running a relatively old P55 based PC while it looks like most people here are running sandy/ivy bridge based machines (with their handy integrated graphics).

Im having a huge issue with my MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr.

I cant get into the OS no matter what.
I get a kernel panic while booting, no matter if i do the GraphicsEnabler=yes/n0

The only way for me to even install mountainlion (10.8.0), was to use an old geforce 9800.
When in Mountain Lion, i tried running Multibeast and picking Cuda, Nvidia 660/670/680/690, and GraphicsEnabler=no.

I shut down the computer, swapped back in the GTX660, and booted up - Same kernel panic at boot (The -v shows absolutely nothing related to the card).

I also cant boot with the 9800 since the screen just turnes black (But no kernel panic).
When trying with the graphicsenabler by using the USB unibeast drive, i cant boot using the 9800 either.

So my only option every time i want to test a new solution, is to completely reinstall the entire Mountan Lion.

Anyone has any suggestions on how to even get my system to boot with the 660?
Should i try using my 9800 to install, download the official Nvidia driver, and then reboot?

Im lost here :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back